Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Seat Leon 2008 2nd hand at dealer. 1.4 or 1.4 TSI?

Options
  • 07-12-2008 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to get a 1.4 Seat Leon soon and have seen one in a Dublin dealership: 2008 - 7000miles -1.4 (85bhp) - €18950 sports plus with sunroof.

I now see one in Kildare for with a 1.4 TSI engine (125bhp) for the same price.
    Would it be the better engine to go for?

Extra fuel and insurance spring to mind.
    However, the Seat site quotes combined consumptions of

7 Litres/100km for the 85bhp engine (link)

6.5 Litres/100km for the TSI 125bhp engine (link)

Lower consumption for the turbo engine?! Does that figure look right?

Lastly: on a car of €18950 - what do you reckon the cheapest you could get it for at the moment? Do you think negotiation could/should get it down to €16200?

Any input on all this appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Any link to the car?
    Are you buying straight?

Depends on whether the dealers want to take that loss yet, but there's no harm going in at €16,000 and working upwards. Might be a shock to them but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

The 1.4 tsi would be the one to go for, the leon is a fairly big car and I doubt 85bhp would be enough to pull it along at any decent rate.

The 1.4tsi is a turbocharged engine and it will have far more torque then the standard 1.4.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

The TSI EVERY time. Insurance mightn't be any extra

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭CL32

TSI - it has to be. My friends are Seat mechanics and they have been buying this engine for themselves.

If they dont budge on price ask them to throw on an aerokit or upgrade the wheels etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭madaboutcars

Has anyone here recommending a TSI Leon any experience whatsoever of owning and running a direct injection petrol engine?

Because direct injection is the greatest curse of a thing EVER in a petrol engine. If you want I can tell you the joys(or more like the enormous expense of owning one) of having a direct injection petrol for nearly 6 years. Because we have a car with one, and all I can say is never again. And it had a Japanese(Mitsubishi) engine too, so imagine what it would be like if the French or Italians built it?

For the love of God OP, DO NOT buy a TSI Leon. Get the standard model, or a diesel, something, anything but a direct injection petrol, not unless you want to be spending several grand in a few years time replacing injectors, ECUs, fuel pumps, and maybe even de-carbonating the engine, something I'm told was done back in the days of manual chokes.

If the darn thing actually does work you'll find that they are VERY noisy to the point it is as loud as the diesels from the 90s.

Not only are they old fashioned diesel loud but they even sound like one too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

The diesel is direct injection also :rolleyes: Turbo Direct injection.

The 2.0 TFSI used in the Cupra/GTI/S3/vRS is also direct injection and that engine is proving to be bullet proof,still young though.

Stratified or direct injection is here to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,248 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Direct injection petrol engines have come along way since the Mitsubishi GDI engine.

To the OP, this is a no brainer, it has to be the TSi, the 80bhp 1.4 is dog slow and it is more fuel efficent and probably cheaper to tax.

Re: price, if the asking price is €18,995 then I don't think you are going to buy it for €16,200. That is a discount of €2,800 which I don't think a garage could sell it at. My opinion is that a figure of around €17,500 is probably more realistic so make an offer a bit lower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

OP, I have a 06 1.6 Leon and was out this weekend looking at a 1.4 tsi. Drove them a few times before and have to say the little kick from the turbo is still good fun. nice power for the size, the N/A 1.4 is lost in the car though.

If you are buying, make sure you stick with the standard 16" wheels. my car has the sport-up pack with 17's and it is a bit too firm for Irish roads. Also, try to get one with bluetooth - you get loads of options for fiddling with things on the car. Other than that, get them to throuw in a drivers armrest too, its a simple screw in job but makes a long spin so much nicer

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

Cheers for all input so far.

Here's why I reckon a good deal may be possible:
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/ireland/article5299383.ece

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 davidog50

HOWITZER, I HAVE A BLACK 06 SEAT LEON FOR SALE. IT IS 1.9TDI. TYPICALLY DOES 55MPG AND HAS A NICE BIT OF POWER. I JUST APPLIED FOR A VISA FOR CANADA THIS MORNING AND AM HOPING TO SELL THIS SOON AND WOULD BE WILLING TO NEGOTIATE A PRICE. IF YOU WANT YOU CAN CONTACT ME AT davidog50@gmail.com and i can send you pics or any info you like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

davidog50 wrote: »
    HOWITZER, I HAVE A BLACK 06 SEAT LEON FOR SALE. IT IS 1.9TDI. TYPICALLY DOES 55MPG AND HAS A NICE BIT OF POWER. I JUST APPLIED FOR A VISA FOR CANADA THIS MORNING AND AM HOPING TO SELL THIS SOON AND WOULD BE WILLING TO NEGOTIATE A PRICE. IF YOU WANT YOU CAN CONTACT ME AT davidog50@gmail.com and i can send you pics or any info you like.

Do you take payment via Western Union or Bankdraft ?

I AM OPEN TO ALL OPTION BUT I THINK BANK DRAFT IS USUALLY THE SAFEST FOR BOTH PARTIES.

http://www.cbg.ie/Car_Detail.aspx?ID=2561463

Here is a link to the car on Car Buyers Guide wants to have a look just to make sure i'm legitimate. I have a couple of people trying to use one of those scams on me. I am more than willing to meet anyone interested and i won't be looking for "shipping costs" or any of that other BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Because direct injection is the greatest curse of a thing EVER in a petrol engine. If you want I can tell you the joys(or more like the enormous expense of owning one) of having a direct injection petrol for nearly 6 years. Because we have a car with one, and all I can say is never again. And it had a Japanese(Mitsubishi) engine too, so imagine what it would be like if the French or Italians built it?

Complete and utter nonsense.

For a start, what you were driving, the GDI engine, is a product that's 10+yrs old, and from and R & D dept even before that.

The 1.4TSI shares nothing with that.....bar the word 'direct'. Besides, if you are to ignore direct injection henceforth, then you better hand back your licence now, as it's set to become the norm, due to emissions legislation.

Funny how you advocate a diesel, which is also direct injection.......

I know someone with a 1.4TSI Passat, and they're extremely pleased with it, from both a power and (surprisingly, to me) an economy point of view.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Has anyone here ... any experience whatsoever of owning and running a direct injection petrol engine?

Yes, and it was the same engine too.

I had an S40 with that engine for around 10 months or so, it had 110k when I was finished with it and it was still going strong. I should add I had no problems at all other than the cost of changing the timing belt in it(which had to be done) which was rather expensive.

The key to those engines to pardon the pun is to give them plenty of revs and drive them out of town a lot.

They only start to give problems when they're driven in town too much and when bad quality fuel is used.

It should be noted that it is poor fuel quality that is the cause of all the grief in GDI engines.

The Mistubishi GDI engine is indeed a disaster and yes it does do all the things you say it does, and more besides.

It is noisy, it's not fast and it hates to be revved at all, which is rather sad when you consider it has 16 valves. It doesn't sound great even by the lowly standards of a 4 cylinder petrol it's still sounds utterly crap.

BUT, a lot has happened in the last 12 years since it came out and the modern direct injection engine is no less reliable than an old fashioned engine, and the noise is gone out of them, I stood next to an EfficientDynamics 320i recently and there is *zero* difference between it and a standard petrol noise wise. It is a million miles away from a GDI Mitsubishi.

Direct injection with forced induction is the future for petrol engines, and the normally diesel loving Continentals are moving back to petrol because they've caught up with diesels on efficiency but of course with the turbos can provide lots more power than a diesel.

Comparing a GDI with a modern direct injection petrol is like comparing a Model T with a Focus. The game has moved on that much. They now will give you diesel economy(my S40 topped 60 mpg on a run more than once) AND better performance than a standard petrol(they already had an advanatage in performance anyway, diesel torque never was, never is an never will be a substuitute for proper petrol power) thrown in for good measure.

Advertisement