Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gearbox

Options
  • 07-12-2008 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

Anyone know a good place in Dublin to get a gearbox looked at?

1st to 2nd gear has started to crunch on me in my 1999 Audi S3. It's only started to happen over the last four weeks.

It only crunches the 1st time on selection after start up. But 1st and 2nd don't seem as smooth as they were before even when the car is warmed up.

I'm going to get an oil change done on it first.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

Could be clutch at fault. Does reverse crunch at all? Maybe the friction disc is sticking causing the difficulty engaging gears. What mileage on the car?

It might be worth changing the gearbox oil. Its easy to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I read that this could be a synchro problem. I have similar trouble with my own, can it be adjusted?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Hal1 wrote: »
    I read that this could be a synchro problem. I have similar trouble with my own, can it be adjusted?

No it cannot.

Pray the clutch is the problem, as a repaired/replaced gearbox is serious wonga.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

Drax wrote: »
    Could be clutch at fault. Does reverse crunch at all? Maybe the friction disc is sticking causing the difficulty engaging gears. What mileage on the car?

It might be worth changing the gearbox oil. Its easy to do.

No, don't think it's the clutch. Reverse is fine also.

I only get the crunch going from 1st to 2nd, and only the first time on start up, and only when it's cold. So, when things warm up there's no problem with crunch...which hopefully means that it's just the age of the oil.

The car has 72K on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Dopey

No, don't think it's the clutch. Reverse is fine also.

I only get the crunch going from 1st to 2nd, and only the first time on start up, and only when it's cold. So, when things warm up there's no problem with crunch...which hopefully means that it's just the age of the oil.

The car has 72K on it...

Give Mr Gearbox Mr Clutch a call. I got a quote earlier in the year for around 700 for a reconditioned gear box fitted with six month warranty. A new clutch fitted at the same time as the gearbox was going to be an extra 145 Euro I think.

• Advertisement
Advertisement