Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PRACTICE OR NOT !

• 07-12-2008 9:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Anyone got alternative ideas for career ? What other areas,apart from practice,do ACCA qualified people find a career in and find rewarding ? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26 FMI

Hi Longerview,

Im brand new coming accountancy, so dont know if im qualifed to give an unbiased opinion. I worked for a practice in the UK after changing from a Science Background. 2 Months ago i returned to Ireland an i have now gotten a job in the corporate sector.

In my experience i am happy with where i am working at present money a bit better, but everything im learning is almost directly related to my exams (ACCA). Im not too keen on the job for a long period, pretty much sitting at desk most of day chasing debtors and data entry(with that been key to understanding journals, P&L. BS etc.

However my main goal is to return to practice, at least twice a week i would meet clients are that there premises or in a cafe in London city or at our offices. Clients ranged from Companies with 2-6mil turnover and lots of Smaller companies from 20k-350k, but from all walks of life from Musicians to Electricians to sport coaches, actors(really annoying people to work for) such a wide range. but for each category of client you learn the tricks of the trade i.e. how can you legally save your client more money by stretching a few laws. This is the bit i loved espically the reaction on the clients face by tellling them to only pay yourelf 6K and take rest in dividends, take a holiday through the company and get tax relief so many things.

But as i said im been biased, i would probably reccomend corporate accounts as you concentrate more on BS and PL items on a bigger scale as opposed to working with smaller ltd companies and sole traders.

That's my opinion so please dont critiise me (espically for my spelling)

Good luck in whatever you decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Bren1609

You could go straight into taxation and still do your ACCA. When you pass them go on and do your AITI exams. Taxation is alot more interesting and rewarding than accountancy. People are always willing to pay for good tax advice but clients will never see the value a set of accounts or an audit.

You can also make a few bob on the side by doing friends and relatives tax returns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

I am a CIMA head, but I am also FInal level ACCA, you could go into project management- especially in such financially challenging times accountants would be well received as project managers, but apart from that i reckon just do anything else thats not accounting!!!
    Just don't go into the banking sector.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

FMI wrote: »
    take a holiday through the company and get tax relief

that may be overstretching the law a little bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Longerview

Bren1609 wrote: »
    You could go straight into taxation and still do your ACCA. When you pass them go on and do your AITI exams. Taxation is alot more interesting and rewarding than accountancy. People are always willing to pay for good tax advice but clients will never see the value a set of accounts or an audit.

You can also make a few bob on the side by doing friends and relatives tax returns.

Thanks Bren1609 , taxation might just be it ! Sounds much more attractive and I agree clients DO see the value of these accounts . New Year,new plan . :):)

• Advertisement
Advertisement