Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with 4 pipe heating/water system

Options
  • 07-12-2008 9:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I have had a problem getting worse over time. My hot water is very hot but heating is poor. I have an Ideal Mexico boiler, a newish pump. Heating system is flushed and correctly filled. Boiler fires up and runs for a few minutes at a time then shuts down for a while. I have four large diameter water pipes exiting from the boiler, presumably two go to the cylinder and two to the central heating. I am struggling to warm the house and am presuming that the hot water thermostat is telling the boiler to shut down before the rads can warm up. Is my presumption correct or have i misunderstood my system design? Is there a solution before I freeze!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Most circulation pumps have 3 settings, make sure yours is set to the highest one. It sounds as though the water is either not circulating at all or circulating very slowly.

You have checked that the pump is working by removing the central cover (about the size of a euro coin) with a screwdriver and checking that the spindle is turning?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

As Avns1s said, make sure the pump is pumping and that the flow is not blocked in any way.
    Most likely 2 pipes are a gravity flow to the hot water cylinder and the other 2 have the pump on the return and go to the rads. make sure that the pump is at a fast speed and that no valves on the pipes are closed or half closed.
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 locksim

Yes, I think it is convection for the hot water and the heating is pumped. I have checked the pump and it is fine, I balanced the system a while ago and have not changed any settings, the pump has always been on the fastest setting. i'm mystified!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 stillbornalive

Make sure the pump is installed the right way around. ie arrow on the body facing way from the boiler if on the flow and towards it if on the return. It dose happen sometimes lol.

Also if you have motorized valves make sure they are working correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭willbur

hi do you still have the heating fault , if you are in dublin i could fix it for you pm me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Highly unlikely to be gravity circulation to cylinder.

Look at cylinder, locate flow and return pipes. they enter side of cylinder about 18" apart. On the return there should be a red wheeled valve, this is for balancing. Close it down to restrict flow to cylinder and encourage more flow to rad circuit. You will still get hot water.
    this valve may also be at the boiler where the line seperates.

Highly unlikely to be gravity circulation to cylinder.

I would say that it is most likely - if you carefully read the OP's 2 posts.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Thanks Jim,

I had read the Op posts carefully. Still find it unlikely that a mexico is not fully pumped.

Thanks Jim,

I had read the Op posts carefully. Still find it unlikely that a mexico is not fully pumped.

That's where you have one up on me - because I don't know what a mexico is :o
    Most boilers I have seen with 2 pipes coming out each side have: one side, flow and return gravity to the cylinder, and the other side, flow and return, with a pump on the return, to the rads. Where are the extra 2 pipes going, and, if there is only one pump (on the other side), what makes the water circulate.
    Jim.

Advertisement