Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Crunching sound when braking

Options
  • 07-12-2008 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

Hi,
    Recently bought a '03 Passat 1.9tdi. Before I bought, the dealer did a full service etc. This was only 3 weeks ago. When I took the car, he told me-you'll probably notice a crunching type sound when braking but that's just because they've replaced the brake pads and it will take them a little time to wear down a bit and then it will be fine.
    I've done about 500 miles now and this is still happening. The car brakes fine, but when I press lightly on them just as I'm about to stop it makes this loudish crunchy noice.
    Anyone ideas what the problem might be and what I should do. Car is under a 3 month warranty and is going for it's NCT next week. Any reason it should fail with this?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

Hi,
    Recently bought a '03 Passat 1.9tdi. Before I bought, the dealer did a full service etc. This was only 3 weeks ago. When I took the car, he told me-you'll probably notice a crunching type sound when braking but that's just because they've replaced the brake pads and it will take them a little time to wear down a bit and then it will be fine.
    I've done about 500 miles now and this is still happening. The car brakes fine, but when I press lightly on them just as I'm about to stop it makes this loudish crunchy noice.
    Anyone ideas what the problem might be and what I should do. Car is under a 3 month warranty and is going for it's NCT next week. Any reason it should fail with this?

I would get the front and rear brakes looked at by someone else first and make sure that both front and rear pads have been replaced,or need to be.
    If new pads have been fitted they should be bedded in by now,if they havnt beded in after 500mls,maybe the discs need replaceing also....

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭the_viper2kie

Yeah,
    I'll try get someone else to have a look. I've done some searching around the net and not getting much else info. One thing that popped up might be a problem with the ABS, Could this be it or a known problem with VW or Passats in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

thetyreman wrote: »
    I would get the front and rear brakes looked at by someone else first

+1 - Get a second opinion.

Crunching noises are indicative of worn pads not new ones. Have them checked - don't wait for the NCT.

Advertisement