Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 year old loves reading

Options
  • 07-12-2008 9:57pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My 6 year old loves to read she is always reading she will come in from school and play with her younger sister and brother for a few min then head to her room and hit a few books.

I want to encourage her as much as I can so I am looking for any tips on what to do and what books are good for a six year old girl.I have already joined the local library and we head in ever so often and she picks a couple of new books.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Buy her a book every so often too, so she can build up a collection. I loved reading when I was younger too and used to read the same books over and over again, so loved having them around so i could just pick them up again.

Brilliant that she loves to read instead of sitting infront of a tv like a zombie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Get her a ticket for your local library and try bring her once a month.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

O Briens pandas are good,if she is a fairly able reader the flower fairy series are good, also the Sheltie books

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

Jill Murphy's The Worst Witch series are amazing. Roald Dahl and Enid Blyton are also great -particularly Famous Five and Secret Seven. Michael Bond's Paddington Bear novels are hilarious. Beverly Cleary's Ramona series too. Andy Stanton's Mr Gum series.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

When I was six I got a lot of short story books for Christmas, fairy tales, Brothers Grimm, Enid Blyton etc. From the stories I liked my dad helped me pick out books in the library rather than randomly picking stuff out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Jacqueline Wilson has written a good selction of childrens books .My daughter has about 6 of her books .

http://www.randomhouse.co.uk/childrens/jacquelinewilson/home.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

Not sure a 6 year old would be into Jacqueline Wilson... all the boys, hormones and snogging...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

kittex wrote: »
    Not sure a 6 year old would be into Jacqueline Wilson... all the boys, hormones and snogging...
    well maybe so .My daughter is 11 .Perhaps she has a selection for 6 year olds.

Edit- just looking in the link and she does have books for 5-7 / 7-9 / 9 -11 year olds

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

How about start an childrens encyclopedia collection ?

You might be able to get some other book ideas here -

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

When I was about 6 I had some childhood illness (chickenpox/measles/mumps - had them all at some stage or other!!) and my mam got me two fantastic things.... a set of children's encyclopaedia, and unbelievably a subscription to to Reader's Digest. Both were worn to shreds and to this day I love Readers Digest. Enid Blyton fed my imagination wonderfully and I spent years wondering what "ginger pop" actually tasted like. Fab stuff for small imaginations. And good for you for getting this far with a little reader.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Thanks fo rall the advice so far.

zAbbo wrote: »

You might be able to get some other book ideas here -

Thats a great site,I just had a look and some good bargains.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Definitely Roald Dahl, Enid Blyton, JK Rowling. All the established chilren books.

As a child who devoured books as a kid, my advice would not to pigeon hole them into their age bracket. Let them read whatever they're capable of (mature content excluded). Never underestimate kids, they really are much brighter than us.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

some good ideas here too.

http://www.lovereading4kids.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

Magic Tree House

http://www.randomhouse.com/kids/magictreehouse/

I have read a bunch with my son who is 6. They take you all around the world and all through time. I have found them to be a great way to stimulate questions about historical events or places in the world. You can also get them on CD which are great in the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

Oh oh oh that Boris book is fantastic,
    http://astore.amazon.co.uk/mumsfriends-21/detail/1840114479/280-9409721-5613435
    Its lots of fun, my 1 year old and 4 year old love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Definitely Enid Blyton books, I loved them when I was your daguthers age (and still read them from time to time...) and there are so many of them they'll keep her occupied for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Second the Roald Dahl books. They we're read and re-read so many times in my youth. Plus you can pick up a 15 book collection for under E30 courtesy of Ruu over on Bargain alerts at the moment. Genuine bargain there.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭renmorescout

My 8 yr old daughter is a bookworm also. We try and go to the library once a week, but she will have her
    3 books read in a few days. She loves to go to the second hand bookshop, or the charity shop, where she will rummage around in the book bin, looking for "Treasure”
    She loves all the Enid Blyton books, as well as the Roddy Doyle set. Other favorites are Princess Poppy and the Flower Fairy sets.
    One observation of mine, is the increase of the occult in children’s books.
    I know every one like a book that’s a bit scary, but every second book in the library seems to feature witches, vampires or demons! Or it this me getting old!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Because Children have great imaginations and fantastical stories are almost always more fun than stories about real people.

There has not been an increase in the "occult" in childrens books despite what certain right wing evangelical christain groups would have people believe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

One observation of mine, is the increase of the occult in children’s books.
    I know every one like a book that’s a bit scary, but every second book in the library seems to feature witches, vampires or demons! Or it this me getting old!

I couldn't agree more with you. Another thing which gets to me is the constant raming of the gay agenda mixed with satanic occult references down the innocents throats of our blessed little angels. Take for example this thoroughly wicked book aimed at children! Note the references to vampires and zombies, in the contents. Its a shocking outrage and only further proves this link;
    holdhands.jpg +
    PodgeRodge_165025t.jpg+
    occult-illuminati_power.jpg

=

2946743E-EE42-AF8B-061A43DE14ECD6CE.jpg

Boston this is not the conspiracy theories forum.
    Behave.

Advertisement