Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Many Hours a Week Do You Work?

Options
  • 07-12-2008 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭

They say that Australians are a laid back bunch who enjoy their lifestyle. But Aussies now seem to work longer hours than most countries in the industrialized world. I average about 25 to 30 hours (that is actual work that makes me profit) working in web development, media production and blogging. The rest of my time I use researching ideas, networking online or just hanging out.

How many hours do you work, doing what and what do you do with your free time?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Generally work about 45 hours a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

37.5 are my contracted hours

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

37.5 hours a week, paid. Dont get paid for me hour lunch! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

38 hours a week here, but occasionally have to do overtime. I was working all day on a Saturday a couple of weeks ago, which was a bit of a kick in the balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

I work about 15-20 hours a week, and bring a dog for 3 hour-long walks per week for another $50. I'm on a low wage but this still pays for my rent and food every week. My partner works full time (about 30-40 hours a week) so if we need any extras, we can fall back on his wage.

I feel a bit broke sometimes but I love my job and it has great training prospects to make more money in the future :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

37.5 - don't get paid for lunches. Sometimes I work a little bit late and I've come in on a Saturday once or twice. I've found it really does pay to be flexible with work. if you work for a good company flexibility works both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

22.5 contracted in one job, plus anything between 0 and 25 hours a week on top of that in self employed work. I find the aussie workplace mentality where I work far more relaxed than anywhere I've worked previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Xavi6 wrote:
    37.5 are my contracted hours
    But how many of those hours do you ACTUALLY work eh? :D
    I find the aussie workplace mentality where I work far more relaxed than anywhere I've worked previously.
    This is true. I don't know many other countries where you can rock up to work in a pair of thongs and singlet in the summer.

dSTAR wrote: »
    But how many of those hours do you ACTUALLY work eh? :D

Lol I'd say probably 10 to 12 :D

+1 to the relaxed attitude. It's one of the things I love about Oz.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Lol I'd say probably 10 to 12 :D
    If you were to get paid on a Pay Per Post system through Boards you would be a very rich man dude. Have you ever looked into commissioning yourself out to sports blogs / websites that pay on an article or per post basis? I know a few people that pull down a pretty decent income doing this.

• Advertisement

dSTAR wrote: »
    If you were to get paid on a Pay Per Post system through Boards you would be a very rich man dude. Have you ever looked into commissioning yourself out to sports blogs / websites that pay on an article or per post basis? I know a few people that pull down a pretty decent income doing this.

Well I did get in touch with a company that were offering $300 per article from contributors. Spoke to the woman via email a few times, they were keen, then all of a sudden nothing. Strange.

It's something I'm keen to explore further though.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    It's something I'm keen to explore further though.
    There are quite a few services out there that offer pay per post type gigs.

Some of the more well known ones are:

http://payperpost.com (Haven't actually used it but its meant to be alright)

http://problogger.com (Run by fellow Melburnian Darren Rowse)

http://www.elance.com (one of the largest sites for soliciting blogging / writing services)

Hope this helps :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

7 - 5.30 mon - fri and 8 - 3 sat

Plus some Sundays then theres the Weekends out o the ofice, whic involve driving for 6 - 8 hours and then doin 2-3 hours work, then drivin somewhere else, til evenualy you get some sleep on the plane back from some godawfulsh*thole in WoopWoop Qld

tis Fun tho :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 4bugny

Avg 56 hours a week, good money though, saving heaps for those treasured few months I plan to travel and actually see the place!

4bugny wrote: »
    Avg 56 hours a week
    :eek: Holy crapola.

I found a 37.5 hour week long. I guess if its short term you can handle it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 4bugny

Ya and thank christ for the RDOs!!!:D On one today

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

just clocked up my 2nd week of over 50 hours! But I've been working Saturdays lately for the extra $$$, I need the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

40 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

booked in to do 37.5 hrs a week (half hour lunches not included), but can do up to 45, if other staff members are out sick for a week. (i have the late start at 9.30, so can be called in to work for 7.30 or 8 to cover for them and a reliever gets there at about 10).

though as a reliever myself, it's ranged from 20hrs, to 46, depending on the centre, my permanancy at the centre, the weather and the surf :P

though as a reliever myself, it's ranged from 20hrs, to 46, depending on the centre, my permanancy at the centre, the weather and the surf :P
    I like the way you operate girlfren' :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

haha, can't do it now, cos im booked in firmly mon-fri, but that finishes on the 19th, and hten im back to phonecalls not telling me when im working, but asking me if i'd like to work... :D

although dude i know who's big into his surfing works about 70hr weeks in a restaurant, and spends spare evenings and weekends coaching surfing. apparently, in both those industries, summer is the time when all the money comes in, and you gotta save up cos you'll never get anything like that kinda money during winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Up to 80 hours a week.

Might aswell have stayed at hime for all the travelling I'm doing.

But got a job starting next jan where I'm only working 20 hours a week, and doing a masters degree for the other 20 hours.

Happy days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I used to work between 40-80 hours a week depending on the job I had while I was in London. I came down here to get the hell away from that, and I have succeeded... :D

I used to work between 40-80 hours a week depending on the job I had while I was in London. I came down here to get the hell away from that, and I have succeeded... :D
    Way to go. London sucks compared to life down here although I must admit I do miss the stores and nightlife :pac:

Your top tips are funny btw. You should make them a sticky for neophytes just off the plane :D

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭curtin10

I do 40hrs per week in my day job (8-4:30), and god knows after that. I finish at 11,11.30 most nights but sometimes its later depending on what needs to be done.

Advertisement