Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A rise in Christian Evangelicals in Dublin?

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

and then he started insulting me calling me a devil-worshipper

That is not christian behaviour. That evangical lad should take a look at himself. I think the more that people are worried about the state of their own soul (as a christian) the more they like looking down on other people's 'immoral' behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

and then he started insulting me calling me a devil-worshipper

That is not christian behaviour. That evangical lad should take a look at himself. I think the more that people are worried about the state of their own soul (as a christian) the more they like looking down on other people's 'immoral' behaviour

Brings to mind:

"I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians, they are so unlike your Christ" - Gandhi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

its the bloody furreingers, taken our jobs women and religion
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2008/1208/1228571632063.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

UU wrote: »
    The oddest one was at about 12.10am at the same location as the first crowd and it was absolutely freezing! I was going to get the Luas and got approached and the guy just started ranting on to me about Jesus and stuff so I told him that "I'm really not interested as I'm not Christian" and then he started insulting me calling me a devil-worshipper and I got pissed off and told him that "I'm atheist and think the Bible and all that is a load of crap". Then he started going all fanatically abusive at me so I just walked away. I mean if I tell him that I'm not interested, you'd think he'd get the message but he started getting all abusive at me. Also, what the hell at that time of night were they doing out? It was weird! What were they trying to win the hearts of people who are pissed off their heads? lol They also had they mighty big yellow banners with the John 3:7 written on it. I was curious and looked it up and it was just about being born again.

This kind of thing makes me pretty sad, as a Christian with somewhat evangelical views. If there is anything a Christian should not be it is aggressive. A lot of Christians don't seem to understand that Jesus only asked us to proclaim his good news. Not convert people, which is generally beyond our power to do.
    So would Evangelical Christians then be a more strict version of general Christians?
    No, because Christianity is not about enforcing an ethical code.

The most apparent difference between Evangelicals and the others is that they worship without use of traditional texts besides the Bible. Modern dynamic English is preferred to stodgy formulae, which is one of the things that attracted me to an evangelical church.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 PGT

The oddest one was at about 12.10am at the same location as the first crowd and it was absolutely freezing! I was going to get the Luas and got approached and the guy just started ranting on to me about Jesus and stuff so I told him that "I'm really not interested as I'm not Christian" and then he started insulting me calling me a devil-worshipper and I got pissed off and told him that "I'm atheist and think the Bible and all that is a load of crap". Then he started going all fanatically abusive at me so I just walked away. I mean if I tell him that I'm not interested, you'd think he'd get the message but he started getting all abusive at me. Also, what the hell at that time of night were they doing out? It was weird! What were they trying to win the hearts of people who are pissed off their heads? lol They also had they mighty big yellow banners with the John 3:7 written on it. I was curious and looked it up and it was just about being born again.!

I'm one of the leaders of the JOHN 3:7 group which you refer to. We just stand there with our big yellow JOHN 3:7 signs and wait for people who are interested to approach us and talk with us. We do not accost people. If fact we have a policy of not approaching people ourselves. You end your account with the fact that you just walked away. Anybody who talks with us is free to do this at any time. We are not paid for what we do. We have simply experienced a life-changing relationship with God ourselves and understand that we are supposed to be "a lamp on a hill" and "the salt of the earth" as Jesus taught in the sermon on the mount (Matt 5). A lamp shines most brightly in the dark. We take the words of Jesus in John 3 literally when He says "You cannot see and cannot enter the kingdom of God unless you are born again". We feel that what you decide about Jesus is eternally important. I apologize if we failed to communicate this to you. You can check with the Gardai at Pearse Street what they think of us if you like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

PGT wrote: »
    I apologize if we failed to communicate this to you. You can check with the Gardai at Pearse Street what they think of us if you like.
    Thank you for taking time out to address this.
    Asia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

UU, in fairness you shouldn't base your views of all Evangelicals in Ireland based on this one incident.

I'm friends with several Evangelical Christians in my local area, and we get on brilliantly probably because we're all Christians, but I haven't heard of any incident beween an Evangelical Christian and those of other dispositions.

As for in town, there are a few Evangelical churches there. I've been to St. Mark's with a friend on Pearse St. However, every time I have been to an Evangelical church with my friend as that is basically the only circumstance I'd ever be attending one in, I've been well received and welcomed. Infact they are some of the most welcoming people I've really ever met.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

UU can only his base his views on what he's experienced. Though as PGT suggests perhaps his experience wasn't typical.

As I've said before, I've never been harassed or even approached in any way.

A lamp shines most brightly in the dark.
    I'm not a scientist but I think you will find that a lamp gives the same light whether it is light or dark, but it is not out shone in the dark.

No point to this really other than to say religion was important in the dark ages but not so much in the enlightenment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I'm not a scientist but I think you will find that a lamp gives the same light whether it is light or dark, but it is not out shone in the dark.

No point to this really other than to say religion was important in the dark ages but not so much in the enlightenment.

You seem to miss the point of the analogy. Also, we have left The Enlightenment behind us a long time ago.

• Advertisement

So whether religion is true or not depends on what cultural era we happen to be in? (although the Enlightenment era has been over for at least 100 years; we've since had modernism and postmodernism.)

I'm in my 20s and have been in the city centre many times and I have never seen so many Evangelicals. Have any of youse noticed a rise in them? because I certainly have. Dunno whether it's just because Xmas is approaching and there's more shoppers and that Christmas is a Christian holiday or what the story is?!

Yes, we have seen an increase in interest in spiritual matters in the last few months. The message is heard much better by those who know that they cannot save themselves. The current credit crunch and recession has helped people realize this much more readily. Jesus offers a different perspective than the gloom and doom brigade. As a result we now are out on Friday and Saturday nights, where before we were just a the top of Grafton Street on Saturdays.
    Dades wrote: »
    UU can only his base his views on what he's experienced. Though as PGT suggests perhaps his experience wasn't typical.

As I've said before, I've never been harassed or even approached in any way.

I do take very seriously what UU experienced. We try to adhere to the instruction to "always be prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you, doing this with gentleness and respect" (1 Peter 3:15). This is why we stand there with our JOHN 3:7 signs.

We have been reconciled to God, and this has transformed our lives. He has called those He has reconciled to Himself as His ambassadors with His life giving message. We appeal to you on behalf of Jesus - be reconciled with God (2 Cor 5:17-20). Ambassadors are supposed to represent the kingdom to which they give allegiance. Unfortunately we are imperfect ambassadors. Just because the ambassador becomes a bit confrontational does that mean you should declare war on a benevolent kingdom, whose king sent his very own son into the conflict as a peacemaker?

He (The Word, God, Jesus) came to his own and his own did not recieve Him. But to all who did receive Him, who believed in His name, he gave the right to become children of God, who were born not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen His glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth. (John 1:11-14). This is not about religion or church, priests or altars, or hail marys or sacraments etc.. it is about whether or not you will recieve, and believe God - being reconciled to Him and entering into an eternal relationship with Him. It is about life, eternal life. For God so loved the world that He sent His only Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life. God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world may be saved through Him. (John 3:16-17) We would be lost without Jesus! Will you come to Him?

Or if you have already, will you join with us as His ambassadors (irrespective of where you live)?

I agree, the amount of light the lamp gives is the same. But we see it differently. That is the difference between science and God. Science sees the bare truth. It can describe radiance and refraction. You need more than science to appreciate the beauty of a rainbow against stormy skies or refracted rays of sunlight shining through the clouds at sunset. We are designed to think, but also to love and be loved. Science knows nothing of eternity! God will never be out of date.

Or if you have already, will you join with us as His ambassadors (irrespective of where you live)?
    yes I would be interested in seeing what you do on friday nights. I've never seen and John 3:7 even tho I live in Dublin. I don't go to Grafton st at weekends though. ever.

I agree, the amount of light the lamp gives is the same. But we see it differently. That is the difference between science and God. Science sees the bare truth. It can describe radiance and refraction. You need more than science to appreciate the beauty of a rainbow against stormy skies or refracted rays of sunlight shining through the clouds at sunset. We are designed to think, but also to love and be loved. Science knows nothing of eternity! God will never be out of date.
    That reminds me of just after my grandmother's funeral - family standing around the grave and one points out - there has been a single star looking over us all evening - I say it's far more likely to be a planet like Mars or Venus if we can see it this early. I got some disapproving looks.

Húrin wrote: »
    So whether religion is true or not depends on what cultural era we happen to be in? (although the Enlightenment era has been over for at least 100 years; we've since had modernism and postmodernism.)
    No but whether it looks like it gives answers to whatever people are asking does depend on what is around it. Recession and the dark ages being perfect examples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭UU

Gosh I thought this topic was long dead lol. Oh thanx pg633 for that. Well it was ages ago and I was really peeved off that night and it was freezing so perhaps I partially provoked anger well anyway there's no point going on about it. Well as long as you don't take an aggressive position, I'm ok with that. Although I do think religion and belief is a rather personal thing (and that's not only religious belief btw) so I wouldn't agree so much with the whole Evangelical way of wanting to convert people. I think people need to discover their own subjective truth for themselves. That's just my view anyway. Anyway good luck. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Obni

I have unsuccessfully trawled the internet for a clip, from the sublime comedy series Absolutely, featuring a street preacher approached by a concerned commuter who advises him that "No-one's listening. No-one." The sketch climaxes with the oft repeated (by me) "Why don't you just go home? Where it's warm and cosy, and people don't think you come from the planet Mental!"

Just like avoiding nerves at an interview by picturing the other people naked, this can be adapted as a technique to stop your blood boiling when you witness some irritating loon trying to recruit passing pedestrians, just run the line through your head and 'irritating' becomes 'laughable'.

Advertisement