Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Morningstar or Tesco Fake Bacon

Options
  • 07-12-2008 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭

Does anybody know where to find decent fake bacon?

I have tried most types of fake bacon and the too brands above (especially morningstar) are the best types.

Tesco doesn't seem to sell its fake bacon in any of its locations near me though...

So can anybody helep?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Redwood Rashers are good and availble for example in The Health Store in the fridge section (and are vegan) http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/detail/408180b.jpg

Quorn do bacon style rashers and are available in most tescos and other large supermarkets in the freezer section (they contain egg and so are vegetarian)
    http://www.tgibiza.co.uk/acatalog/quornbacon.jpg

Realeat also do rashers in the freezer section (as before, contain egg, so are veggie). I've seen them in Health Matters in Bray for example.
    http://www.ocado.com/catalog/images-full/29901011_L.jpg?identifier=90efb12b274cb286a81df4662c673257

my veggie companion here (i'm vegan) has tried all of the above and says that the redwood ones would be the best.

If you are having trouble locating these brands you will find that most health food stores are happy to order for you - you just have to ask :)

Perhaps you could let us know where abouts you are, so we can direct you to the appropriate stores? My suggestions best fit someone in Dublin, but for example, the Evergreen Stores in Galway usually have the Quorn rashers.

I haven't heard of either of the two fake bacon brands you suggested. I know that in the UK Tesco have a better veggie range, but that's not the case in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Camarague

I'm in Dublin.

I had the vegetarian bacon from Tesco in Northern Ireland, which I was surprised that they bothered to stock it given how it isn't exactly vegetarian-central.

Morningstar is a great American brand of vegetarian frozen food. Along with Amy's Kitchen, it is a shame these brands are not in Ireland. I believe they stock morningstar in sainsbury's but I did not find it in Northern IReland

Morningstar is the best fake bacon I have come across by quite a margin

I don't like Quorn bacon at all, gross. Redwoods was also a disappointment

If you can help it would be cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Most fake bacon are not great. I like the Quorn one. Sounds like I need to find some shop that sells this Morningstar stuff!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

You'll have no luck here, the best ones are all quite thin and flimsy but I still like em. Room for improvement.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

why isn't fake bacon called Fakon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

mayordenis wrote: »

or Sham. Fake chicken is 'mock a doodle doo".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Kiddynamite

mayordenis wrote: »

I believe it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Camarague

Does anybody know where I can get RealEat vegetarian bacon for cheaper than E 3.50 ?

My local health shop sells it for this price, which I suspect to be a rip off, given that they charge twice the price for Linda McCartney sausages as they adjacent supermarket.

If anybody knows that would save me a lot of money as I buy this all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

well, the Health Store sell the organic redwood bacon for over €4. I'd be thankful for the €3.50 deal if I were you!

I think that the realeat one was 3.50 in the Health Matters Store last time I purchased it. Never seen it cheaper.

Advertisement