Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

bmw 530d

Options
  • 07-12-2008 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

Hi , Am thinking of buying a 530d auto . The one I am looking at is a 00 with less than 100k . It is immaculate with leather etc. Can buy this for around 5500 and would probably hold on to my own car as a backup. I realise the tax on these is crazy around 1200 but given the reasonable price this would be factored into my motoring costs. Would proably be my only chance of owing a car with this spec and comfort. It is also a decent size which I like as I find 3 series etc a bit pokey. Any advice on purchasing this model would be appreciated. :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,248 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Sounds like good value.

Just verify the low mileage through the service history and make sure to have a mechanic check the car over before buying.

Very nice car.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

+1
    I presume you are referring to the E39. Excellent car!
    Take a look at this: http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24786&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

absolutely +1 at that money

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

If that is genuine mileage and it's in good condition, then I think "reasonable" doesn't even begin to describe the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Thanks a million for the opinions, and especially kbannon for that website and information, loads of reading there. Boards motors is certainly the best and most helpful site.:pac: Will keep ye informed of my progress over the next few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

What are you waiting for? start looking for one as soon as you can.

They are an absolutely savage car.

Trust me, you'll never want to look back if you get a good one there it is the best car in its class by a margin so big you really couldn't measure it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

If there's 80K+ on the clock, factor in a water pump and radiator replacement soon. It's often recommended that these are replaced as a preventative measure rather than waiting for a failure. Use that as a bargaining chip if they haven't already been done.

Listen carefully for shudder from the wheels, or shimmy when braking at 50-60mph which can indicate worn suspension bushings. If you get a strange shudder whilst braking at any speed, the car may also have warped rotors.

Check the rubber on the door seals, especially on the front doors. A quality car at a great price, there's a 2002 530d E39 in my area for €14500, admittantly overpriced but you've got a bargain there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Thanks Voodoomelon ....great name, will check for the items mentioned.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Fantastic cars.

Something else to realise - my in-line fuel pump started giving me problems around 95k(it felt like I was hitting a rev limiter at 3000rpm). Also, the rubber donut in the gearchange assembly needed to be changed around the same time (shunt from the transmission but mine was Manual)

Buy it!

Advertisement