Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Slow puncture

Options
  • 07-12-2008 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭

Hi all

my car has developed a very slow puncture. its dropping from a pressure of 30 to 16-18 over around a monh, the rest are all fine.

are these sort of slow puncutres difficult for tyre centres to find and fix? whats the best way of dealing with it?

any info appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Check the tyre for a nail or a screw. If you can't see one then remove the dust cap from the valve. Cover the valve in spit - if it bubbles the you've a dodgey valve. If none of that works then could have a bad tyre/rim seal due to a damaged rim.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

tin79 wrote: »
    Hi all

my car has developed a very slow puncture. its dropping from a pressure of 30 to 16-18 over around a monh, the rest are all fine.

are these sort of slow puncutres difficult for tyre centres to find and fix? whats the best way of dealing with it?

any info appreciated

Any tyre shop will be able to check it for you (they have ways) just tell them the story,it couldbe a few possible things,worst case and last resort would be to stick a tube in it (assumeing its tubeless as is)it is very bad for the tyre/road holding/fuel consumption to be underinflated for such a long timeicon14.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Nail or screw = around €10 to fix.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

Its either a leaking rim/wheel or a leaking valve/plunger or the base of the tubeless valve.
    A screw or nail would deflate much quicker than a month.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

Hi

Thanks all

Yeah it defo not a nail or screw i have checked all that, the valve seems fine too as i have checked that, but as its so slow it may be leaking too slowly for me to see.

may be the rim too i guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

thetyreman wrote: »
    Any tyre shop will be able to check it for you (they have ways)

The way generally involves a bucket of a thickish liquid (water and loads of washing up liquid, not agitated) and a paintbrush. You could do this at home, but it's easier just to wander along to a tyre shop and get it fixed. It won't be very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Check your wheel trim. Occasionally if they're a bit loose they can push against the valve and cause air to leak out when your moving.

Advertisement