Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Can anyone explain the technical info please?

• 07-12-2008 10:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

Hi All!

Looking for advice if anyone can help.

We're looking to buy a new TV for the "good" room. The one that'll be locked until the kids are gone to bed!!!!

I've been looking at a 50 inch (wall mounted) plasma but I need help on the following before I part with my hard earned money:

1. Plasma or LCD - what's the difference
    2. Full HD or HD Ready - what's the difference
    3. 1080p - what does this mean
    4. With all of the above what's the best I can hope to get, what should I be looking for the salesman to give me for no extra cost!
    5. Is there anything apart from 1-3 above that I should be looking for?

What will I be using it for?
    - Sky plus TV, but won't rule out getting a HD box when they become affordable
    - DVD's of course
    - possibly the PS3 also

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

Frowzy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭ffocused

plasma vs. lcd is a can of worms, i personally would go for lcd, but you should look at both instore and go for the one you feel has a better picture. google plasma vs lcd to get all the pros and cons of both sides.

full hd is 1080p, hd ready is 720p and 1080i. standard tv is 576i. The number is the amount of lines making the picture (more is better) the i means interlaced (every second line is updated on each screen update) and p is progressive (all lines are updated on each screen update) which makes a smoother picture.

Sky HD is broadcast at 1080i and 720p Blu ray discs and some ps3 games are 1080p.

You will also need to look at the number of hdmi inputs on the tv to futureproof yourself. I would not get a tv with less then 3 hdmi inputs.

If you are not very technical minded you should go into a shop and look at what is available and go for the tv you feel has the best picture and price, but if you are buying a screen of that size you will get a far better picture from a full HD/1080p model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Frowzy

Wow, a lot more to look at than I thought!!!
    Might not have this for Christmas.

Thanks a mil for all the info, at least I know what to look for now!

Advertisement