Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Banjo Kazooie

• 07-12-2008 11:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭

There seems to be little talk of this game here, so I'm gonna draw attention to it!

Banjo Kazooie came out for the N64 back in 1998, it was the second game I bought for the console (after Goldeneye). I loved it and played through several times. While not as groundbreaking, I think it was a better game than Mario 64. The sequel, Banjo Tooie, came out in 2001, but I didn't get it as I couldn't afford it at the time! It (and the N64 in general) disappeared altogether shortly thereafter, swept under the carpet by the PS2.

The first game came out for XBLA last Wednesday, it's a slice of '90s platforming happiness. I suggest everyone download the trial version and, after confirming its awesomeness, download the full game. It's 1200 points, but so worth it. I got the last of the achievements earlier, but I want to play more!

Banjo Tooie is due out for XBLA next year, I await it feverishly! I haven't played much of Nuts & Bolts yet, but it's on the to do list. So, anyone want to support me and expand on my praise for BK?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Banjo Kazoie was one of my favourite games on the 64, and I rented Nuts and Bolts the other day. It's great fun, but for a different reson than the earlier ones.

The vehicle creation is just plain fun. Shaving tiny bit off your weight in order to get a faster car or more maneuverable plane is great craic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,796 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's no where near as good Mario 64 but a decent platformer none the less. Only problems are that the swimming is awful and Rusty Bucket Bay is a ballox of a level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I tried the demo and liked it.
    Is it good value for money? How long does it take to complete?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,796 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mr E wrote: »

If you want to collect everything, ages. Its a long game, longer than Mario 64.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

Pro tip: Go into gamestop and ask for a banjo kazooie activation key, there is aload of them that came as a promotional deal for the staff. Save yourself 1200 gamer-points. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

Well the first hour of the game is basically a tutorial. I think the game is aimed at 12 year olds. I lost interest after about 2 hours. My 7 year daughter got sick of it in about the same time.
    Not saying its bad or anything, it probably takes getting into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Banjo Kazooie is second only to WWF No Mercy as the best game on the 64. So much character, so much fun. the Quiz at the end. Grunty. The Shaman with the funny head. Brilliance.

To me, it combined the best bits of DK64 and Mario 64. had the personality of Donkey Kond with the fantastic gameplay of Mario. Also, Rusty Bucket Bay wasn't that bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

From what i remember i think they're are a couple of full playable old skool arcade games in it along the way,or have i the wrong game?

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Banjo Kazooie is second only to WWF No Mercy as the best game on the 64. So much character, so much fun. the Quiz at the end. Grunty. The Shaman with the funny head. Brilliance.

To me, it combined the best bits of DK64 and Mario 64. had the personality of Donkey Kond with the fantastic gameplay of Mario. Also, Rusty Bucket Bay wasn't that bad

any game with WWF or WWE in it is a pile of sh1te! lol:D

No mercy is probably one of the most solid wrestling games i have ever played. TBH most new wrestling games have just improved the graphics of the game, the structure and style of fighting is identical. And when they tried to change the structure with smackdown vs raw 2008 it was an epic fail. Plus that was the time when wrestling was at its prime.

• Advertisement

Still a pile of sh1t. Anything to do with those red neck steroid using tits is a pile of sh1t. Sorry can't stand that rubbish, and don't know who people pay to watch. Everything on it is fake, even the women are all plastic. Come to think of it why is it even on Skysports?
    Gladiators any day of the week!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

ROC1977 wrote: »
    Still a pile of sh1t. Anything to do with those red neck steroid using tits is a pile of sh1t. Sorry can't stand that rubbish, and don't know who people pay to watch. Everything on it is fake, even the women are all plastic. Come to think of it why is it even on Skysports?
    Gladiators any day of the week!! :D

Think of it as being a soap like Eastenders or something, that must be what the fans do. I hate it too, bloody stupid!

Ahem.... don't give a sh*t about wrestling.
    Can we get back to talking about Banjo please?

Ahem.... don't give a sh*t about wrestling.
    Can we get back to talking about Banjo please?

your mean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Got the game free with Nuts and Bolts pre-order and am liking it. Have only had about 2-3 hours on it so far. Really lloking forward to palying Nuts and Bolts though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I started playing Nuts & Bolts seriously yesterday, it's really excellent. Making vehicles is so much fun. Of particular note was the first time I tested one of my planes. Speeding towards the edge, not sure if it would work, then taking off. So cool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

What I love about Banko-Kazooie is the randomness:

-Mumbo Jumbo accidentaly turning you into a washing machine instead of the regular morph.

-Mumbo offers to turn you into a T-Rex, who can easily beat Gruntilda, but the quits at the last moment saying its too powerful for now and will save it for the next game.

-If you save in Slot 1 (with Banjo asleep on his bed), it randomly tips up the bed throwing B&K out the window when you select the save.

-The quiz at the end based on the games areas, characters, sounds, music and Gruntildas personal life.

Plus the music in this game is so addictive, especially Click Clock Wood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

I was lucky enough to have a friend give me his redeem code because he wanted me to experience this game and I haven't been disappointed.

It is incredibly tight. That was the first thing I noticed; just how well it plays in terms of character movement and abilities, they feel fresh!

Level design is of quite a high standard too and even though grunty's voice is annoying as hell to me I can see how people would get a kick out of it.

Looking forward to getting back to it, so many games to be played!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Still a pile of sh1t. Anything to do with those red neck steroid using tits is a pile of sh1t. Sorry can't stand that rubbish, and don't know who people pay to watch.

No Mercy was incredibly fun (as was wCw Revenge) and ANYTHING but a pile of sh1t, just because you don't like wrestling doesn't mean it wasn't a good game.... :rolleyes:

Must ask about the redeem code for Banjo in Gamestop so, I doubt they will hand them out....

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    No Mercy was incredibly fun (as was wCw Revenge) and ANYTHING but a pile of sh1t, just because you don't like wrestling doesn't mean it wasn't a good game.... :rolleyes:

Well If I don't like wrestling, to me is not going to be a good game. Like just because you like wresting doesn't make it a good game. Its a matter of opinion.

• Advertisement

Pro tip: Go into gamestop and ask for a banjo kazooie activation key, there is aload of them that came as a promotional deal for the staff. Save yourself 1200 gamer-points. :pac:
    Yep, that worked, cheers! It helps if you're buying something else at the time too.... the guy in gamestop said that not one copy of the new BK game sold since it was released, so they have a surplus of redemption codes.

Yep, that worked, cheers! It helps if you're buying something else at the time too.... the guy in gamestop said that not one copy of the new BK game sold since it was released, so they have a surplus of redemption codes.

Which Gamestop did you try it in Mr. E?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Well If I don't like wrestling, to me is not going to be a good game. Like just because you like wresting doesn't make it a good game. Its a matter of opinion.

It's not a matter of opinion. It's probably the greatest sports game ever, has an incredibly amount of storyline depth that no game matched at the time, it has more branches than Deus Ex. It's the best fighting game I have ever seen with an incrdible depth of characters that no game at the time matched and games now struggle to match. 70 characters.

Anyway, majorly off topic, is there any new additions to the game

Which Gamestop did you try it in Mr. E?
    Parkway SC, Limerick.... Shh.... I didn't tell you. :)

Bugger, i'm way up north... i'm gonna give it a try in my local Gamestop though. I just bought Nuts & Bolts from there so maybe that'll help :D

Ah, so thats where Wip-Wop Fromgengelboo is. I was wondering.
    If you got Nuts and Bolts, you should have got the redemption code (its a small booklet in a plastic sleeve with a scratch panel on the back, separate from the boxed game)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Well If I don't like wrestling, to me is not going to be a good game.

For the record, I'm not a massive wrestling fan but I know a good game when I see it and that was a good game! I guess this is the reason why some game reviews are wide of the mark, people liking (for example) a sport, or hating a sport, and writing the review accordingly no matter what the game is like. Pointless :rolleyes:

Excellent, good old parkway, must drop in there, although I don't really have anything to buy in there at the moment. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Anyway, majorly off topic, is there any new additions to the game

Not really, it looks great on my HD TV which is a suprise for a 10 year old game and any lag has been abolished.

Got a strange cut-scene at the end, if you finish with 100 jiggies.

It had Mumbo showing B&K a picture of Sharkfood Island and the giant egg you get there, getting the Ice Key in Freezeazy Peak and going into the locked door in Gobis Desert for another giant egg, and how these all factor into their next game, B&K: Nuts and Bolts (since the XBLA game came out a few weeks before Nuts and Bolts) and the trick to unlocking them is hidden in Nuts and Bolts somewhere.

This is a layover from the original N64 game where there were 6 giant eggs and the ice key to discover in the game(using codes in the TreasureTroveCove castle) that were meant to lead into Banjo Tooie somehow, and also unlocked an extra option on the pause menu called "Stop & Swop". But since the games used cartridges and the N64 had no internal memory, the feature wasnt fully implemented, plus no mention of eggs and ice key in Tooie (I know, I played it last year and zilch).

Maybe we can finally see what Rare had planned.

It's one of those great gaming mysteries. I think they were meant for an expansion pack type sequel but rare went for a full sequel and the game was never made with the features shown.

As for wrestling games nothing beats Fire Pro Wrestling!

• Advertisement

Ah, so thats where Wip-Wop Fromgengelboo is. I was wondering.

:D
    If you got Nuts and Bolts, you should have got the redemption code (its a small booklet in a plastic sleeve with a scratch panel on the back, separate from the boxed game)

No sign of that! must pop in after work to claim my prize....

Advertisement