Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

changing cd player on vw golf - cant remove the panel!

Options
  • 07-12-2008 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

hi ,
    I want to swap the existing cassette deck on a 2002 vw golf but i cant even get the existing one out!
    all i found was one screw underneath the heater controls , taking this out I still cant get anything off without forcing it.
    do i need a special tool or go to a garage?
    thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

You need tools to remove the radio. Look carefully at the front of the stereo and you will see two slots - one at each side. These slots are only 1 or 2 mm so look carefully. Your local VW dealer should be able to supply the tools through the parts dept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

humph wrote: »
    hi ,
    I want to swap the existing cassette deck on a 2002 vw golf but i cant even get the existing one out!
    all i found was one screw underneath the heater controls , taking this out I still cant get anything off without forcing it.
    do i need a special tool or go to a garage?
    thanks for any help.

I've never done it myself so dont know but you should do a search on Youtube, i find that usful for a few things i have needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I've done this a few times on mine. But without the tools it takes alot of fiddling. That gap underneath the cup holder should just pull out with a good tug. That'll give you more access to the top of the radio etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

crosstownk wrote: »
    You need tools to remove the radio. Look carefully at the front of the stereo and you will see two slots - one at each side. These slots are only 1 or 2 mm so look carefully. Your local VW dealer should be able to supply the tools through the parts dept.

I got a set off ebay for pittance. Don't know what a dealer would charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

if its the same as my 01 Passat then the removal tool looks kinda like this.

attachment.php?attachmentid=68113&stc=1&d=1228730854

STOP LAUGHING AT MY WORLD CLASS PAINT SKILLZZzzz!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

ShayK1 wrote: »
    if its the same as my 01 Passat then the removal tool looks kinda like this.

STOP LAUGHING AT MY WORLD CLASS PAINT SKILLZZzzz!!!

Yep thats it. They are flimsy little metal keys and im sure you could pick them up in halfords for cheap. They have a section with conversion cables and stereo removal tools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 humph

thanks for all the tips folks

Advertisement