Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Travelling to Cuba on my own.

• 07-12-2008 11:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭

I'm considering going to Cuba this summer alone. How safe is it to travel alone there?

I'm also interested in staying with a local Cuban family. Has anyone done this before? I'm not particularly interested in doing the whole resort thing for my whole time there.

Also, what is the diving like there? What's can be seen?

Thanks,
    Larianne.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Get some Spanish lessons, particularly if you're travelling outside of Havana.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Patrickisperfec

we went there a few years ago and traveled around a bit. it seemed really safe.
    If your going to have a car and pick up a hitch-hiker, make sure you dont fall for the "I work on a cigar factory, do you want me to show you around it?" Its all a set up, the person never wanted a lift, he was just trying to get people to come to the cigar factory and buy cigars.

Its a great country to visit! I'd love to go back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Any other things I should look out for or avoid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭buccsboyo

Hey Larianne,
    Cuba is very safe to travel around and there is a good bus network and also taxis that will bring you from town to town often for the same price as the bus.
    Staying with a family is the best thing to do and there are loads of these in every city. When you get off a bus there will be heaps of people trying to get you to stay in their house.
    Trinidad was the highlight for me and is great place to party. There is a really cool nightclub there called the Cave which is actually a cave with a dancefloor and a bar!!

Also when your staying with a family make sure and eat your meals with them rather than go to restaurants as the government officials come and take most of the money of them that you pay for accommodation but with the meals they can just say you ate out and they get to keep the money for their families.

Advertisement