Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BSc multimedia and computer game design

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

emageht wrote: »
    More like you start copypasta-ing zork from the source code given to you...

I think he meant specific to games development, not specific to our course.

Ah.
    I'd argue that it's not, but that's irrelevant to this discussion.
    Apologies if I mis-understood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Xabs

Nockz wrote: »
    So what you are saying Xabs is that it is actually a rather good course to go into because of the clear level of jobs. You learn how to use the same computer twice because the module material overlaps for a few weeks at most.

You start using Zork in 2nd year making somewhat small games so once again I really don't see your logic. Especially since your first couldn't have more moaning about the course in it and then you turn around and say that it's a great course to get into.

Overstepped? More like did a u-turn on your point.

Are you on drugs? :eek:
    What U-turn?
    I haven't said it's a great course,
    I've been arguing the opposite have I not?

Yes, the subject area (game development) is great to get into
    (I wouldn't be doing the course otherwise)
    but the course itself, in my opinion, is ineffective in providing a good education in said subject area.

As for Zork, it's more of an exercise in learning C++ (for those who need it)
    than anything very relevant to game development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 emageht

Xabs wrote: »
    but the course itself, in my opinion, is ineffective in providing a good education in said subject area.
    Au contraire, the course would have been ineffective if we started doing games related stuff beginning from day one. We can leave that to fancy Microsoft supported courses that won't get you anywhere (I.T. Carlow anyone?).
    Or maybe it's just a bit early to judge a course when you're barely half done.
    As for Zork, it's more of an exercise in learning C++ (for those who need it)
    than anything very relevant to game development.
    TBH c++ is (unfortunately) quite relevant in game development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Xabs

Or maybe it's just a bit early to judge a course when you're barely half done.

Only time will tell. But I'm not willing to wait around and hear what time has to say.
    TBH c++ is (unfortunately) quite relevant in game development.

It seems I haven't been wording things with the required degree of unambiguity today.
    What I meant was, Zork is more of an exercise in learning c++ rather
    than and exercise in developing a game as Nockz suggested it was.
    I didn't mean to imply c++ is not relevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 emageht

Only time will tell. But I'm not willing to wait around and hear what time has to say.
    You leaving?
    It seems I haven't been wording things with the required degree of unambiguity today.
    Your wording was fine, it was just a semi-random comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

I'm doing my co op in this at the moment(ended up in an investments company)

It's an alright course but to be honest I think I would point you in the direction of computer systems instead.

It just seems to have a better structure to it(based on my experience of a friend doing it)

Also a bit of advice that they failed to tell us and we are only finding out now. Try to build up a programming portfolio as you go through because any of the big companies will be looking for one with your CV. Also a lot of colleges are running this course, do a good amount off research on which one to go to as they are all quite differently run

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

Just wondering if people would still recommend (or otherwise) this course, both in terms of the quality of the course, and the work experience/jobs that anyone has gotten from this course.

I applied for the course earlier this year and had my place deferred, but I may not be able to take it up this year so I'd like to get whatever research into this course (and alternatives) done early so I know what I'm getting myself into.

From what I've read in this thread so far, it seems like the prospects aren't all that great (compared to any other course) - I want to get into games programming/design, but I don't want to spend 4 years in a course that (from what people seem to be saying) is inadequate, if doing Computer Science in UCC/Software Development in LIT could be a better alternative then get into games design/programming through another route.

Would anyone be able to tell me what is involving in this course (if anything has changed from what previous posters have said), and what programming languages are involved or is it just C++?

Advertisement