Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season Ticket on BBC

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Cock fighting is a fight to the death.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

There needs a MMA start up called COCK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Derek Coleman

Collection Of Caged Killers.......... Fighting Championships.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

In the early days of MMA there was a bit of notoriety of the danger of the sport. I remember seeing a good few tapes in HMV way back in the late '90s that would have a gruesome description on the back of the box. Something like "One fighter stands tall, the other is bleedin and semi-conscious, the referee is only there to call a winner"
    That kinda stuff....

But it's clearly a legit sport these days with proper rules and precautions et cetera.
    In August of 1998 I read an article in the Indo on UFC. It posed the same arguements/questions as this programme although it went one further and said that there was fighting in the crowds and topless women .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

But it's clearly a legit sport these days with proper rules and precautions et cetera.
    In August of 1998 I read an article in the Indo on UFC. It posed the same arguements/questions as this programme although it went one further and said that there was fighting in the crowds and topless women .

Well there was a full blown riot at UFC 8 in Puerto Rico, maybe that is what they were on about.
    I agree that the sport has moved on so much since the bygone days of the 90's.

• Advertisement

Collection Of Caged Killers.......... Fighting Championships.

I was thinking a long the lines of aping Bodog Fight
    with COCK Fight but yours can do as well.
    In the early days of MMA there was a bit of notoriety of the danger of the sport. I remember seeing a good few tapes in HMV way back in the late '90s that would have a gruesome description on the back of the box. Something like "One fighter stands tall, the other is bleedin and semi-conscious, the referee is only there to call a winner"
    That kinda stuff.....

"banned in 49 states" was the tag line too on those tapes too.

I think I'll put in a few of the DVDs of the early UFCs. Not seen em in ages.

I think I'll put in a few of the DVDs of the early UFCs. Not seen em in ages.

Speaking of the latest Wrestling Observer has a write up about the early UFCs detailing how the rules evolved (they didnt think they would ever need judges :eek:) management & business aspects. What spurred the article was the "real" MMA fans going crazy that fake pro Wrestler won their belt. Well Dave Meltzer decide to put some of these people in there place with stats like the following:
    In the history of UFC, there have been at least 81 UFC fighters (81 that I can count, and there are likely a few more I don’t know about or am forgetting) who have been pro wrestlers or at least done pro wrestling in some form
    the UFC heavyweight title, starting as the superfight title, debuting in 1995, with the exception of Couture, had every champion be a pro wrestler until Tim Sylvia in 2003.

Along with loads and loads of more generic statistics. I dont want to be accused of being a schill and I hope others can back me up but it was a great reference piece.

I could well believe that on face value. MMA and wrestling have had a close relationship.

On the Lesnar thing, I think the guy's spent more time competing in "real" sports than in pro-wrestling.

There was so much wrong about the format of the first dozen or so events. That Shamrock/Severn 30min superfight from UFC 9 was an utter bore fest! And now there's all the proper rules and rounds and limits to make sure that you get a proper contest.

I could well believe that on face value. MMA and wrestling have had a close relationship.

Pro Wrestlers trained the Gracie family in the first place.
    There was so much wrong about the format of the first dozen or so events. That Shamrock/Severn 30min superfight from UFC 9 was an utter bore fest! And now there's all the proper rules and rounds and limits to make sure that you get a proper contest.

Modern day UFC is SO professional it is staggering how primitive it once was on every conceivable level that article really hammered it home on different levels than I’ve even considered and I have watched the first six events in the last year or so. In hindsight the learning curve for just the rules was ridiclously slow.

• Advertisement

rovert wrote: »
    In hindsight the learning curve for just the rules was ridiclously slow.

But did boxing evolve and expand it's rules as fast has MMA or more specifically the UFC have ?

It's odd looking at these early fights because of how they promoted them as one discipline against the other. I think it's fair to say though that the fighters themselves evolved fast enough. It was soon evident that you couldn't just get by with knowing boxing or jiujitsu or karate et cetera.

There were some nasty sights though that you couldn't imagine seeing today - head buts and strikes to the back of the head and elbow strikes from the point of the elbow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

this is one of my favourite cawk fights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgAp0jcpYYc

Here is the Silva one. Funny its not as bad as I remembered

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJKEBKmb2eM&feature=related

Advertisement