Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - New Year's Eve

Options
  • 08-12-2008 12:23am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Dublin has to be one of the worst city's in Europe to spend New Years Eve in,I gave up going out in Dublin on NYE a long time ago.The city council do nothing the atmosphere is crap,I have been in city's on NEY and even if there was no 'official' gig there was still some kind of atmosphere.

Is it time we did something..?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭craiginireland

Yeah, lets all go away for nye! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I think DCC would be shitting themselves if they even started to consider holding an event, and I would too. The place would just go mental with 13-17 year olds ruining whatever atmosphere and party mood might have existed.

I don't know why other cities can do it, but I know that if Dublin were to try it, the council would make a balls of it i.e. under-fund it, not provide adequate security, not provide decent entertainment etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

It'd turn into a stabfest and probably a riot.
    I remember doing a focus group for Guinness and they were mooting the idea of having an event in town,like a carnival to celebrate thier anniversary...talking about a barge on the liffey with comedians etc..those of us who were from Dublin pointed out that they'd need thousands of guards diverted from whatever they were doing to stop the whole thing degenerating into mayhem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

Dub13 wrote: »
    Dublin has to be one of the worst city's in Europe to spend New Years Eve in,I gave up going out in Dublin on NYE a long time ago...

+1

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Degsy wrote: »
    talking about a barge on the liffey with comedians etc.

MacSavage, Tierney et al? Torpedo? Now that does sound like fun.

There are many dud cities at NYE. Dub's just one of'm. Cities without a culture of carnival are to be avoided on big occasions if your looking for that type of thingy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Spider_Baby

Hi,

I usually go somewhere else in Ireland for New Years; Cork, Waterford etc. We usually just rent a house and have a party.
    This year it looks like we are staying in Dublin for it.
    ...is it worth heading into the city centre for it...? Or is it mayhem?
    Also, do most pubs have something organised for that night, like live music etc? Or is it just like any other night, but busier, and dearer?

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Most overrated night of the year IMO. I think this year will be a VERY quiet one for everyone.

Yeah I think it's really over-rated too. We usually just have a house party somewhere.
    This year though the numbers have dropped, so we are all staying at home. Just trying to decide whether to head into town or not...
    We have a couple of friends coming up for it so we have to do something. If it was up to me I'd skip it and stay in! haha :)
    Just wondering if its better to stay local, or risk town?
    Maybe a gig would be the answer...hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I would definitely avoid town....unless you have a definite plan before going in. We ended up going from bar to bar last year as everywhere was charging in/v.packed. You wont get a taxi either. Have a house party!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Town is utterly,utterly poxy.
    Most pubs are charging in and there's usually no atmosphere.
    I'm at a loose end this year if anybody wants to invite me to a party :D

• Advertisement

Uh-oh...it ain't sounding too positive!

I'd have a house party usually, but a friend is coming to Dublin especially for New Years, so I feel like I need to organise something more than a house party. Pants.
    Ham Sandwich gig in The Village might be an option I guess...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Cold, windy, and raining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

They really should have some sort of event in one of the georgian squares in Dublin or the Phoenix park. Pubs are sh1te untill around five minutes before and five minutes after midnight. Fireworks and a trad session somewhere that could hold 20-50 thousand people would be craic but the gardai dont want the work and the publicans dont want to lose the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

I wouldn't bother going into town, not since publicans decided to charge £50 in on millenium eve, they're still counting the cost to this day as a lot of people decided since then to party at home with friends and family, as for the city organising something, they only end up as stabfests, happy new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

getting OUT of dublin is the best thing to do i think.every yr for the past 3 myself and my mates rent a cottage in leitrim,then that night head into carrick on shannon to the local pubs and clubs.so cheap down there! makes us notice how much we get ripped off every weekend in town.theres usually 12-15 of us so we've never had a bad new years eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

It's like most other nights in Dublin - bollox.

You'd be crazy going out into town on New Years.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i am going to a party and heading to christchurch for mid-night

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

I know we haven't the best weather but why can't we have a big outdoor family party type thing with fireworks. I guess the chavs would start a riot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

iMax wrote: »
    Most overrated night of the year IMO. I think this year will be a VERY quiet one for everyone.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mathijs75

Dub13 wrote: »
    Dublin has to be one of the worst city's in Europe to spend New Years Eve in,I gave up going out in Dublin on NYE a long time ago.The city council do nothing the atmosphere is crap,I have been in city's on NEY and even if there was no 'official' gig there was still some kind of atmosphere.

Is it time we did something..?

We come over from Amsterdam for new years eve in Dublin :rolleyes:

If I read the posts here this is not the best idea, if you have to pay €50 to get in a pub in Holland on new years eve you get free drinks all night!

Please can anyone give me advise the less hoorible place at NYE? :eek:

Thanks Mathijs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mathijs75

Some friends and I comming over for NYE in Dublin and what I read here isn't very prommising! You have to pay in all pubs to get in? No public firework show in your capitol? :confused:
    Maybe it isn't a bad idea to join you fluffy bunny to the christchurch ..

Please anyone, suggestions for having a nice time on NYE in Dublin? Staying in my hostel after going with fluffy?

The most stupid thing is, where I live you go to pubs on NYE and also pay to get in but there but for this money (about €50/70)you get "free" drinks all night :D So next year all people here come to Holland and let's make a nice party here!. This pubs are not used to Irish drinkers, don't think they make a lot profit with you people ;)

Grz Mathijs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

A few years back my OH and I started the night in The Pod, as it was then (and is still now) known but left before eleven and headed for a local pub near where we lived. There was much better atmosphere and an additional plus was afterwards we walked home in under 15 minutes. No hanging around for a taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

The last time I went to Christchurch for NYE the chavs idea of fun was to throw beer bottles in the air and see where on the crowd the bottles would land, never again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭omgiluvxmas

schween wrote: »
    I know we haven't the best weather but why can't we have a big outdoor family party type thing with fireworks. I guess the chavs would start a riot.

Where in Europe gets class weather on the 31st of December? Santa Ponza?

We should have something like this but for some gay reason we don't. Maby they don't feel it would be sustainable? London is a big deal ain't it? Probably cause of the much bigger poplulation.

Also who calls skangers 'chavs' in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

mathijs75 wrote: »
    If I read the posts here this is not the best idea, if you have to pay €50 to get in a pub in Holland on new years eve you get free drinks all night!
    mathijs75 wrote: »
    where I live you go to pubs on NYE and also pay to get in but there but for this money (about €50/70)you get "free" drinks all night :D
    The poster who mentioned pubs charging £50 admission was referring to what happened on the Millenium new year's eve (31st December 1999) not any one since. The publicans killed the goose that laid the golden egg that night and have never really recovered. Those sensible people who held house parties that night discovered that it was much more fun and a lot less expensive and and the trend for drinking at home has continued since then

(On a personal basis, I love Christmas Eve/Christmas Day/St Stephen's Day but New Year's Eve means nothing to me. I will probably be making love, watching TV, or online here as the bells strike.).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Last year was disasterous.

Wherever you are come 10:00 at night, you're stuck there unless you've your own car/don't mind walking. I ended up walking from the arse end of Harolds Cross to Dame St. last year to get a taxi, still ended up waiting an hour when I got there, and shared the taxi with 3 others in order to get home. Horrible :(

€50 for free drinks all night? Wonder if there's any specials left to Holland... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Last year was disasterous.

Last year was my fav New Year's Eve of my life :)

Seen The Frames play from 11 to 1am in Vicar St. Then taxi to Whealen's were I even pulled :)

I just checked ticketmaster and there is nothing on this year - no idea what I'll do. Anyone know of any gigs or anything?

Nico

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

House Parties are definitely the best for NYE. I'm usually lucky enough to be invited to a few and always have a great nite (that runs into the following day more often than not). Going out in town is definitely a bad idea I reckon - unless you head a smaller local type pub.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I will probably be making love, watching TV, or online here as the bells strike.).

+1. I'll also be doing all three of those things at midnight.

(not with Wishbone tho'! :D )

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

vektarman wrote: »
    The last time I went to Christchurch for NYE the chavs idea of fun was to throw beer bottles in the air and see where on the crowd the bottles would land, never again.

ah really :(

i have always wanted to ringing the new year at christchurch. this is the first year i will be around since i moved to DUblin

crapola:(:(

Advertisement