Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SOCIAL THEORY EXAM 3

Options
  • 08-12-2008 12:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hey, does anyone have any advice from previous experience of sitting this exam or anyone want to share what they are studying for this exam. I'm thinking Foucault and Elias but not sure what areas to focus in on???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

I did this module last year and I wrote my essays on the topics of Habermas and Social Complexity. I was happy with the exam and recieved a good result. If you're doing Habermas this year, I'd strongly encourage you to study him.

I'd advise you to check out www.answers.com for key points of Habermas's Theory of Communicative Action and Universal Pragmatics.

With regard to Norbert Elias, look at previous exam papers asking you to compare Elias's theories to another theorist. I can't remember the name, but that was in my exam paper last year. A lot of people in my class got a shock because of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 janabelle

Yeah but paul stokes was the lecturer last year, we had stephen mennel for elias this year. I always remember mennell saying he is no good at formulating questions so who knows what he will come up with!! Mennell also did not go into much detail with us either because as he said 'he didnt want to spoil his course on civilising processes next semester' So im hoping he his questions will be general enough:)

From the sounds of it, it looks like it will be. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

janabelle wrote: »
    Yeah but paul stokes was the lecturer last year, we had stephen mennel for elias this year. I always remember mennell saying he is no good at formulating questions so who knows what he will come up with!! Mennell also did not go into much detail with us either because as he said 'he didnt want to spoil his course on civilising processes next semester' So im hoping he his questions will be general enough:)

Noooooooooo, I've been backed into a corner and forced into doing this module. I won't have a bloody clue what the hell is going on. And it'll be typical style of lecturer assuming everyone is in 3rd year and done relevant exams to get to that level:(

• Advertisement
Advertisement