Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

unmarked mondeo - galway

Options
  • 08-12-2008 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭

I know this question has come up a million times but I'm not sure I've ever seen a definitive answer.

There's an unmarked silver 07-D Mondeo doing the rounds around Galway. Stupidly (or unluckily!), I've driven past it twice in the last few days, both times a few kms over the limit. I could see the copper pointing something out his driver's window both times.

My question is - do they have to pull you over there and then, or do these Mondeos have number-plate-recognition cameras?

He didn't look like he was ready to chase anyone down there and then - he was parked up on the footpath.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

If he was moving when pointing the thing out the window, no he didn't catch you.

If he was stationary, and didn't pull you in, he more than likely did not catch you.

Happy days:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

If he was stationary, and didn't pull you in, he more than likely did not catch you.
    Happy days:D

Stationary both times, sitting in the car, pointing a laser-gun/camera out his window. He didn't appear to be in a position to chase after anyone (car parked up on path, on a busy road, etc), so I'm thinking if he doesn't have a camera and doesn't pull anyone over, then what's the point of him being there at all ?! Hence I'm dreading what might be coming my way from the postman!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Stationary both times, sitting in the car, pointing a laser-gun/camera out his window. He didn't appear to be in a position to chase after anyone (car parked up on path, on a busy road, etc), so I'm thinking if he doesn't have a camera and doesn't pull anyone over, then what's the point of him being there at all ?! Hence I'm dreading what might be coming my way from the postman!

Well he could have been using his discretion and waiting for the fella coming down the road 20kms over the speed limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Whereabouts Joe? Not that I ever speed or anything...

B00MSTICK wrote: »
    Whereabouts Joe? Not that I ever speed or anything...

First time was on the road that links the "Flemings" roundabout to the one at Motorpark. The second time he was parked at the entrance to Roadstone on the Tuam Rd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Regular spot for the Mondeo with the ariel flat on the roof, have seen that car pull folks(chase) most mornings. If you were not stopped, you should be ok...

Followed me a few times up the road, got bored and flew off :) cruise control gotta love it...

I was stopped in traffic one day just back from the housing estate near the Roundabout, guy in a van comes off the roundabout turns into the estate on the mobile phone, just as the Mondeo was coming up the road. He followed the guy into the estate and nabbed him as he pulled into his drive...:)

There was a lad on a Bike pulled in on the path last week with a speed gun, pointing at cars...

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I know this question has come up a million times but I'm not sure I've ever seen a definitive answer.

There's an unmarked silver 07-D Mondeo doing the rounds around Galway. Stupidly (or unluckily!), I've driven past it twice in the last few days, both times a few kms over the limit. I could see the copper pointing something out his driver's window both times.

My question is - do they have to pull you over there and then, or do these Mondeos have number-plate-recognition cameras?

He didn't look like he was ready to chase anyone down there and then - he was parked up on the footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,248 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

An unmarked stationary Garda car with the speed detection gun out the window may not actually have to give chase, usually there may be another Garda unit parked a few km up the road for that. They would just radio ahead the offender's car type and reg plate and the second unit would pull them over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

They should get off their asses TBH and stop sniping for people are few km/s over the limit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

For all you know this is a drug unit car, a crime task force car, an operation anvil car, an anti burglary patrol car, an armed unit, armed eru sdu or regular detective unit.

Dont always assume a "garda car" is traffic corps out shooting fish in a barrel or generating revenue :rolleyes:

They are out there to protect the public and catch criminals too!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Im all for the guards catching crims and all that but nicking joe the plumber for being 10km over the limit or hiding behind bushes looking for people a few km over the limit exiting a village etc is muppetry behaviour...!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Joe - that Golf you have can't break the speed limit can it?
    Or is there a 15kph zome now ?:D

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Joe - that Golf you have can't break the speed limit can it?
    Or is there a 15kph zome now ?:D

:D It's hard to hold it back!

Chief--- wrote: »
    For all you know this is a drug unit car, a crime task force car, an operation anvil car, an anti burglary patrol car, an armed unit, armed eru sdu or regular detective unit.

Dont always assume a "garda car" is traffic corps out shooting fish in a barrel or generating revenue :rolleyes:

They are out there to protect the public and catch criminals too!!!

The particular unmarked car being talked about here is almost definitely traffic core. Anytime I have seen it its been doing speed checks, people stopped for speeding etc etc. Also it is usually pulling on the dual carriage ways around Galway so I think shooting fish in a barrel is a fair statement in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Well, ring your TDs or whatever. It's not like it a few cops around the breakfast table saying "let's go get us some speeders", it's orders from above.
    It's funny how the general public hates speed cops because they might actually get caught themselves for once. Speeding is a crime too you know (yes I do it too and been caught and fined).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

They are parked often in the gateway of the Racecourse or a little further down from there in another gateway/lane on the dual carriage way heading to Briarhill. See them regular enough along here as I'm heading out to Oranmore between 10.30 and 11.30 at night during the week.

They also use a silver unmarked Opel Vectra as well as the Mondeo. Seen the Vecky pull over a few people from time to time.

My brother is a Guard and he tells me they will usually give you a 10% margin over the limit before they will actually pull over. So you might get away with doing 110kph instead of 100. Of course it's completely at the discretion of the particular Garda. You might have the misfortune to come across a thick fecker or one who is having a bad day and they will do you for being 1mph over the limit. Depends on the Guard, your driving style and car type. (Boy racer types get a harder time) They are also a lot stricter on speed limits in built up areas where the limit is 50/60kph and would be more inclined to pull you in these areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

biko wrote: »
    Well, ring your TDs or whatever. It's not like it a few cops around the breakfast table saying "let's go get us some speeders", it's orders from above.
    It's funny how the general public hates speed cops because they might actually get caught themselves for once. Speeding is a crime too you know (yes I do it too and been caught and fined).

No it s not a crime it s a offence:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

bazz26 wrote: »
    An unmarked stationary Garda car with the speed detection gun out the window may not actually have to give chase, usually there may be another Garda unit parked a few km up the road for that. They would just radio ahead the offender's car type and reg plate and the second unit would pull them over.

Thats a great one to happen, because if you happen to change townsland in while they catch you, the ticket has to be issued where the offense was commited, not where they pull you.

I think...

that mondeo has flew past me before chasing someone for speeding so i'd say your grand..

was behind me all the way into town one day, funny how hard it is to drive when your aware that they're behind you for so long.

heard there was a speed trap out towards parkmore (past hogans) this morning.. that's 3 or 4 times bein there in last month so watch out.

Advertisement