Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did your exams go?

Options
  • 08-12-2008 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

So how goes your preparation for the upcoming exams?
    I only have three thankfully.

Maybe you can post here how it went or something.

Good luck everyone in your exams.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I've one this Friday and one next Friday. Hardly done any revision so far. My head thinks I'm off already and I have to remind myself there's still work to be done! I hope to do a bit of studying in UCD on Monday. I might also head over to the RDS so I know where the hell I need to get off at on Friday. I don't want to miss the exam which knowing me is very possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

6 exams in 8 days: Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Monday, Tuesday. The last three are all 9am starts. Two of the Six are 100% exams = the whole course rides on the exam, and the rest all count for 80% or more. Did I hear people moaning about doing essays during the semester..? :cool:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

bnt wrote: »
    6 exams in 8 days: Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Monday, Tuesday. The last three are all 9am starts. Two of the Six are 100% exams = the whole course rides on the exam, and the rest all count for 80% or more. Did I hear people moaning about doing essays during the semester..? :cool:
    Harsh, man! G'luck

I had my first one on Friday. Oral exam for Program Contruction I. Basically do a problem on the board for the lecturer.

I got a sh*t question which I hadn't studied enough (studied UP TO that question, but figured it would be below that in difficulty!), and my mind went blank at the start. The lecturer helped me along, then I got the momentum going and got a bit done. Froze a couple of times and was helped along again by the nicest lecturer in the world (Henry McLoughlin). He said he was happy that I have a good understanding of the course, etc., and he showed me where I can improve. It's worth 30% of the grade, I reckon I might have gotten 15% out of that. Happy enough, as I was sh*tting it :(

Have an MCQ for Intro to Psychology (my elective) tomorrow at 12pm. I've just been reading the lecture notes every so often today. It's worth 50%. I dunno if it's negative marking, I would assume not though, cos it's a 1st year class...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Dave! wrote: »

Have an MCQ for Intro to Psychology (my elective) tomorrow at 12pm. I've just been reading the lecture notes every so often today. It's worth 50%. I dunno if it's negative marking, I would assume not though, cos it's a 1st year class...

Think 1st Psychology modules never have negative marking. Was in Child Development and Perception/Cognition modules last year and was very straight forward, handy enough, taken straight from lecture samples, no negative marking MCQ's:D

EDIT: Has anyone here done the Millenium Development Goals module(2nd year Politics)? If so, would anyone be able to tell me if its an MCQ or just one short essay?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Harsh, man! G'luck

I had my first one on Friday. Oral exam for Program Contruction I. Basically do a problem on the board for the lecturer.

I got a sh*t question which I hadn't studied enough (studied UP TO that question, but figured it would be below that in difficulty!), and my mind went blank at the start. The lecturer helped me along, then I got the momentum going and got a bit done. Froze a couple of times and was helped along again by the nicest lecturer in the world (Henry McLoughlin). He said he was happy that I have a good understanding of the course, etc., and he showed me where I can improve. It's worth 30% of the grade, I reckon I might have gotten 15% out of that. Happy enough, as I was sh*tting it :(
    Henry's lovely, I'm sure you'll be fine :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 .DumDeDum.

Have that tomorrow also, just focusing on lecture notes too.. hopefully should be ok! Don't think it's negative marking, don't think they mentioned it in the last lecture anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Mushy wrote: »
    EDIT: Has anyone here done the Millenium Development Goals module(2nd year Politics)? If so, would anyone be able to tell me if its an MCQ or just one short essay?

I have it tomorrow - pretty sure its just one essay. Im focusing on Hunger and Indicators of development (basically the first two assignments) and might do a little bit on AIDS.

Very easy markers for the assignments so far (only one grade below b- for the first two assignments for the whole class) so hopefully that continues!

I have it tomorrow - pretty sure its just one essay. Im focusing on Hunger and Indicators of development (basically the first two assignments) and might do a little bit on AIDS.

Very easy markers for the assignments so far (only one grade below b- for the first two assignments for the whole class) so hopefully that continues!

Yeah, was thinking it was one essay alright, that's why I'm looking at stuff that haven't been asked assignment-wise. So that's very very little to do:D And if it comes up based on assignment stuff, I can guess and bluff like I did with the big essays. Haven't been to a lecture since end of September!

Yeah, was surprised at assignment marking too. Was expecting at best a D in mine, but got two B+'s in first two, and sure with the third to be corrected and exam, well I've passed that module handily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Have 6 exams this semester - Wed,Thu,Sat,Thu(2),Fri - all nicely spaced out which is handy. 4 are 100% exams and the other two are 40% and 50%. Funny thing is that this is the first time in 4 years I'm actually half prepared for the exams!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 RIP-sanity

I have 7,
    have had 2, my 2 electives.
    French gen purp 4 (easy enough, but I messed my midterm up so thinking c/b)
    and Welsh lang; fail. I just didn't go to the classes, my own fault. It didn't interest me as I thought it would and I really needed to put effort into my actual core modules

Tomorrow I have Millenium development goals, it's just an essay out of the three topics we've already done assignments on.
    Then Thursday Comparative Politcs, :(:(:(

Friday the historical novel in Italy, BOOOOOO! I don't know how I will study for that thing.

Saturday, Individuals and the state, which should be okay, kind of

and then finally

Thursday, Italian grammar

and then

FREEDOOOOMMMMMM! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Had Intro to Political Geography today, could have gone better, could have gone worse.

It's the worst when a question you are certain will come up, actually doesn't.
    Thankfully I decided to put my last hour into a topic I hadn't looked at before and I ended up using it as 50% of my exam and it saved my ass :)

Intro to Psych was grand... No negative marking, woohoo!!! And my hot lecturer was there, so lovely eye candy to feast on whilst waiting during the 15 minute delay... Yummeh :)

Intro to Psych was grand... No negative marking, woohoo!!! And my hot lecturer was there, so lovely eye candy to feast on whilst waiting during the 15 minute delay... Yummeh :)

Oh Oh! :pac:

dyl10 wrote: »
    Oh Oh! :pac:
    ???

Are you my hot lecturer??? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

Ireland in Europe was grand yesterday, was hoping for a question on the EMU but it went ok anyway.
    N+R of insurance markets was fairly handy...no complaints there.
    Insurance regulation went ok, thought there would have been more on principles but im happy enough.
    Finished now until Friday and only 2 to go..

The Millenium Development Goals exam was fine. Very easy actually, one question that was similar to the assignments handed out(pretty much just a fraction of what you'd write in the topic of the assignments). Did the metrics question, and feel very confident of a decent score coming my way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭McNuggy

Anyone else dissapointed to see that the media and filters etc and herman an chomsky stuff didnt come up on political geography ??
    cos i certainly was ....

McNuggy wrote: »
    Anyone else dissapointed to see that the media and filters etc and herman an chomsky stuff didnt come up on political geography ??
    cos i certainly was ....

I made reference to it earlier on.
    I took it as a banker, sadly not...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

I had my first exam this morning.

It went really well \o/

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭shanegj

Had my First today, it was good i think i passed
    but bus was full and had to walk down and back:mad: lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I hate exams:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

Intro to Modern Philosophy was grand. Everything I prayed for came up.

Not looking forward to Existentialism on thursday, mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

had my first proper one this afternoon...irish music and general musicianship.......not too bad but i wish i had've done a bit more work for it, head got a bit foggy during it and i kinda froze.

4 more to go now....stupid 1st year exams...thurs, mon, thurs and fri. will be so happy once they're all over and done with and i can relax and enjoy christmas :D

Statistics for economics went better than expected, the paper wasn't as bad as it could have been.
    European Geography was ok, but had one bitch of an MCQ section on it:eek:

3 down 3 to go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

Partial Differential Equations went a lot better than expected. she was correct, it was all "standard stuff"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Alyosha

Neither of my favoured topics (CAP + EMU) came up in my Ireland in Europe exam, but it didn't go too badly. MCQ's were grand, 1 good essay and 1 wishy washy one.

Financial Accounting 3 went pretty crap. Messed up the figures in the compulsory question, but got the theory ok. Should have passed as I knew most of the theory on the paper and got 1 mathsy question fully correct, but will definitely be my worst result.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

History & Theory of the Designed Environment III (Architecture): I think it went great: wrote loads, finishing 3 seconds after they called "Time". However, I pity the poor examiner who gets my paper: assuming s/he can read my handwriting, s/he has to wade through over twelve pages of me waffling on about stuff I crammed in to my head. There's even some guff in there about architects we did not cover in the course, but whom I thought were relevant. Not a job I would want! :pac:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Had my first one, Sociological theory level 3, earlier. All went as expected, decent enough way to start off the exams. Now only 5 left :(

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭mc1990

critical theory went surprisingly ok, if I had studied properly it would have gone brilliantly:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 RIP-sanity

Comparative politics, not bad, first essay was quite good, kind of wrote itself, second one a bit more dodgy. Ended up doing the judicial review and electoral system questions, I thought it was a pretty fair paper.

Advertisement