Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

markers

• 08-12-2008 2:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭

so, are markers definitely legal now?
    around a year or two i was looking into getting one and legalities were very sketchy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

metalfest wrote: »
    so, are markers definitely legal now?

On the contary, in the Republic of Ireland they are as illegal as an unlicensed Glock 9mm hand gun. You may be thinking of Airsoft, which is legal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

no.
    i am thinking of a gas powered paintball marker, one for 125and another for 250
    which i saw in a local gadget shop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭ditpaintball

Nope not legal to sell over the counter in the Republic of Ireland.

Can you tell us the store in question or perhaps tell us the equipment that are offering?

Maybe it was a gas powered BB gun that shoots paint BB's?

• Advertisement

Whoa.. yeah, they would be illegal on the face of it...

lol, anyone in cork, they have them in the actual shop lol,

Dont touch them. You run the risk of destroying alot of important work that has been done to try get them legalised.

Plus, if your the one that gets them banned for good, well lets just say... Most paintballers know how to use a gun pretty well.

ironclaw wrote: »
    Dont touch them. You run the risk of destroying alot of important work that has been done to try get them legalised.
    so you're saying don't buy something that is apparently illegal because it's been hard to make them legal,
    right.......
    Plus, if your the one that gets them banned for good, well lets just say... Most paintballers know how to use a gun pretty well.
    lol you are a tool

Argue with me, go on...

4 years experience, Marshal for a paintball company, have legal ownership of a marker... Go on, try me :cool:

If for instance, you buy one and caught with it, a newspaper runs a story, suddenly we're back to square one. Like any sport, its the minority that cause the trouble for the majority. Your antics reflect on the rest.

Plus, what are you going to do with it? No paintball centre will allow you use it on their grounds. Where are you going to buy paint? No where can stock it legally because "technically" its ammunition for an illegal firearm.

Before you argue, on a topic you clearly know nothing about, do your research.

• Advertisement

lol nioce,
    you still contradicted yourself,
    so........do you like shovels?
    argue with me go on ;)

lol i started by trying to find out if they were legal, and you freak at me because I have the intelligence to actually research the legality unlike most people who will just go in and buy them, so eh take your "qualifications" and you know the rest.

How did I contradict myself?

EDIT:
    so you're saying don't buy something that is apparently illegal because it's been hard to make them legal,
    right.......

Maybe that is the problem post, apologises, the paintball conmmunity in ireland (www.paintballer.ie) has been trying to get markers legalised for recreational use for a long number of years. Like any firearm, they need to be respected and shops like these that sell them to anyone are doing more harm than good. (See above)

On the contary, in the Republic of Ireland they are as illegal as an unlicensed Glock 9mm hand gun. You may be thinking of Airsoft, which is legal.
    so they're illegal?

how can they be banned if they're illegal???

lol.

and i was advising people in cork in case customs don't really seem to find them appropriate.

so they're illegal?
    - Yes
    how can they be banned if they're illegal???
    - Currently it is difficult to obtain a license, one newspaper article etc and it would become impossible.
    and i was advising people in cork in case customs don't really seem to find them appropriate.

-There abit more than inappropiate. I'm surprised they even made it to the shelves

easy fella's.

Fact - To legally sell, buy or import a paintball marker into the Republic, you need a license or authorisation

Fact - Paintball markers are not banned, if they were there would be no paintball venues around the country. They are just classed as firearms and hence as such are subject to regular firearms laws.... even if your local garda does not know how to deal with them.

The markers in questions, from initial inspection seem to be clones and this company may have gotten them in with a shipment of airsoft stuff with out checking the law regarding markers first.

This shop does not even have a single paintball mask for sale!

Any update on this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭ion c

Argue with me, go on...
    Plus, what are you going to do with it? No paintball centre will allow you use it on their grounds. Where are you going to buy paint? No where can stock it legally because "technically" its ammunition for an illegal firearm.

Paintballs don't fall under any ammunitions category dude. If they did any food supplements consisting of a liquid encased by gelatin would fall under that rule.

As for that shop you will most likely get ripped of for a very poor product.

Paintballs don't fall under any ammunitions category dude

Bit of a grey area that. I was talking to a Firearms officer. On your licence, you are entiltled to hold the firearm legally but also have in your pocession a limited amount of ammunition for the said firearm.

So you would have a hard time explaining why you had 2000 paintball rounds.

But as you rightly said, its circumstancial.

.... but also have in your pocession a limited amount of ammunition for the said firearm.

Actually, that depends on your authorisation / license. There is no limit on mine, it just says that I can hold paintballs.

Very true.

I know the license attached to a shotgun has a limit to the amount of rounds you can hold on your person / in your home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

I hope they legalize them soon, its great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 PlumpPumper

Me too, it's an excellent way to spend an afternoon. When I was staying in Canada last summer, there was a shop at the top of the estate I was living in that was dedicated to paint balling. Sold everything! I spent days drooling in there at all the goodies they had and was DYING to buy something. It's so stupid that nanny state Ireland won't sell anything that is deemed "dangerous". Bah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Just to clarify.

Any object that fires a projectile over 1 joule is classified as a firearm.

There are many paintball "markers" that fire under the 1 joule limit, granted they are not really markers or for use in paintball arenas, they do fire paintballs.

So, the shop selling these items, are perfectly within their right to sell them. And customers, are perfectly within their right o buy them, and not have to worry about licenses.

To re-iterate. A device that fires a projectile under 1 joule is legal and can be obtained without any license. I would imagine this company selling them, knows they fire under 1joule. They sell alot of Airsoft products ( complete rip off prices mind you) so they know the legality of such things.

To purchase a proper marker requires a license, because they fire projectiles over 1 joule.

Also it should be noted paintball markers are not illegal, they just require authorisation from a local superintedant. I had one myself for many years, but was constantly refused when trying to use it on any paintball sites here so I sold it on.

So ironclaw, for all you egotistical shouts about your knowledge and experience, it helps to actually have a clue, and stop breading false information aorund the place.

I think ditpaintball could verify that I ain't talking complete rubbish. In fact I've been looking for a authorisation for many months and am very close to obtaining same.

Any object that fires a projectile over 1 joule is classified as a firearm.

Correct.
    There are many paintball "markers" that fire under the 1 joule limit, granted they are not really markers or for use in paintball arenas, they do fire paintballs.So, the shop selling these items, are perfectly within their right to sell them. And customers, are perfectly within their right o buy them, and not have to worry about licenses.

Also correct but in this forum a paintball marker is a HPA / CO2 powered firearn capable of above 1 joule (I think they are up around the 12 joule mark)
    false information aorund the place.

Where was my false info? I apologise if there was.

EDIT: Just noticed that the website at the start of this thread has updated. The marker in question at the start was CO2 powered. And they now appear to be pump action making your post correct to some degree.

Just to clarify.
    There are many paintball "markers" that fire under the 1 joule limit, granted they are not really markers or for use in paintball arenas, they do fire paintballs.
    Those for the purpose of this forum and in general, are toys. The shop in question sells '0.05 calibre' paintballs. Standard paintballs are .68, so thats over 10 times the size... which seems to be wrong. Typical 'markers' have an muzzle energy of around 12-15 joules. So its like comparing an electric go-kart to a real car.

The topic was about a shop which did stock proper markers whom have now removed the items for sale and thus this topic has run its course.

Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement