Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

katy french in the sunday world

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

spoken like a typical fat angry git

So Terrys there saying "O I wish I had a figure like that"? Somehow I doubt it.

The fact is that had she been some young one out for a night, we'd hear nothing of it. What about them two lads at a 21st not long after, who ate the stuff and both went into a coma died? Not a feckin peep.
    Dudess wrote:
    Just the Sindo, which should be boycotted anyway.

True words.
    Dudess wrote:
    She doesn't feature on front pages either - that's inaccurate..

On Sunday, on the online indo, if you clicked "national news" it was the 4th story down. It was also on the main page of the website. This, which happened on Saturday, didn't get a peep.
    link

Mind you, the likes of sky and the rest are as bad. They all have their katy French/'pippa o connor falls off horse' style crap. Ferry sinks off some place and it gets bugger all mention. A bush catches fire in California and we hear all about it live and in detail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Pighead wrote: »

In boards terms, Terry would get the full backing of the admins if he were to have an "episode" due to excessive alcohol intake whereas somebody like Mordeth would be left to rot.

:eek: No way that could happen surely!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Nodin wrote: »
    The fact is that had she been some young one out for a night, we'd hear nothing of it. What about them two lads at a 21st not long after, who ate the stuff and both went into a coma died? Not a feckin peep.
    i knew one of them. Other fella just got over
    Testicular cancer. Poor chap

• Registered Users Posts: 28,960 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Reminds me of when Princess Diana and Mother Theresa died in around the same time and there was very little coverage of what was at the time considered to be one of the worlds only living saints. It was then I only started reading tabloids for the back page sports, and for page 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Requiem4adream

Terry wrote: »
    She knew of the dangers involved and therefore deserves no sympathy.
    Dudess wrote: »

The sorrow is for her relatives and friends and the fact she was so young. I doubt she expected to die suddenly due to cocaine consumption - that very, very rarely happens.

Knowing the inherent dangers involved in doing something shouldn't preclude people for feeling sorry for them if things do go pear shaped. In fact if you apply that logic to everything -Take a quick few examples - a prop paralysed in a scrum, death in a road accident, even alcohol related accidents (drowning etc), there's an inherent risk to a lot of what we do in life; do we just say boo-****ing-hoo tough luck to them all or does your sympathy level drop as the inherent risk level rises?

I think it's distinctly human to feel sorry for any young person dying in any circumstances, from illness to accident to self-caused, (i) cant help but feel sorry for them and their family that their mistakes/bad luck/misfortune has cut short their life. Talented or not. If her quasi-celebrity status raises the profile of the dangers of drugs, great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

What about the young plumber kid Anthony Campbell (RIP) who was shot dead because he happened to be in the house when these scumbags were killing each other? Do the papers lament him?
    NO they lament the bimbo and have features on her stupid, self obsessed, D4 friends, who were fueling the industry that got this kid killed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

seanybiker wrote: »
    i knew one of them. Other fella just got over
    Testicular cancer. Poor chap

Grim.

If they want to hold somebody up as an example of the potential dangers of powdering your nose, ordinary lads like that would be more to the point than yer woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

There was an 8 page pull out on her in the Sun on Saturday, that's just stupid. You would swear she was royalty.
    What made me laugh was there was a picture of her with Shane MacGowan, of the 2 who'd a thunk the young, pretty one would bite the dust first after taking some drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

LoL, all you people talking about "your man in Limerick" and "that plumber".

You say their deaths were just as important yet you can't even remember their names.

You remember Katy's though. Do the ****ing math.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

There was an 8 page pull out on her in the Sun on Saturday, that's just stupid. You would swear she was royalty.
    What made me laugh was there was a picture of her with Shane MacGowan, of the 2 who'd a thunk the young, pretty one would bite the dust first after taking some drugs.

AFAIK Shane McGowan can't actually die -- like Keith Richards

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

Dragan wrote: »

You say their deaths were just as important yet you can't even remember their names.

You remember Katy's though. Do the ****ing math.

Yeah but Dragan, that's the whole point. It's the Sindo and the Herald portraying yer wan as some model of virtue struck down in the prime of her life after "somehow" ingesting massive amounts of coke.

As for people being randomly shot. Well if we believe that newspapers reflect public sensibilities then, apparently, nobody gives a crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

Anthony Campbell & Shane Geoghan RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

She had the potential to be ireland's top model.

I'd like to see the credentials of all the people calling her talentless. Are all of you super talented?

Since when is being pretty and fluttering your eyelashes and posing for a magazine cover a "talent"

Since when is being pretty and fluttering your eyelashes and posing for a magazine cover a "talent"

Since Ireland began aping the Z list "celebrity" culture that infests the UK.

Dinter wrote: »
    Yeah but Dragan, that's the whole point. It's the Sindo and the Herald portraying yer wan as some model of virtue struck down in the prime of her life after "somehow" ingesting massive amounts of coke.

As for people being randomly shot. Well if we believe that newspapers reflect public sensibilities then, apparently, nobody gives a crap.

And people do care about Katy, following that line of reasoning.:pac:

Look, Katy French was a stupid 24 year old kid who ended up being the one who got killed by the Big Mistake. That same Big Mistake that at some point, be it now or in the future, everyone of us will make or have made and it will either ****ing kill us then or we will learn from it.

She was a bit of a bint, so what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

There are plenty more people deserving of my ire than a vacuous model in her twenties who I've never met, and - shock horror - did some coke from time to time.

As for the deluge of KF stories and memories: where? I don't discuss her. I don't start threads about her. I very rarely read the SINDO. Sorted.

stovelid wrote: »
    As for the deluge of KF stories and memories: where? I don't discuss her. I don't start threads about her. I very rarely read the SINDO. Sorted.

Come on, it's not just the Indo.. All the tabloids and Irish magazines like Hotpress still stick her on the cover over the last few weeks. It's overkill.

And people do care about Katy, following that line of reasoning.:pac:

No that's the whole point. It is decided for us what and what isn't interesting.
    Look, Katy French was a stupid 24 year old kid who ended up being the one who got killed by the Big Mistake. That same Big Mistake that at some point, be it now or in the future, everyone of us will make or have made and it will either ****ing kill us then or we will learn from it.

Ah now come on. Her death was hardly a "big mistake". A big mistake is being shot because you happened to call out to some filthbag's house to do some work when a hitman arrives.

Shovelling coke up your nose until you expire is hardly along the same lines.
    She was a bit of a bint, so what?

So why try and portray her as anything else?

Dragan, the end of the day if you overdosed tonight you'd get maybe three column inches tomorrow. (Apart from on Boards of course where there'd be loads of wailing and gnashing of teeth!!) What makes certain papers decide that your life is somehow worth less than someone elses? Even then I could understand it if it was just because she was a "celebrity" but what annoys me most is the revisionism about her life and career being carried out.

She was an average person during her life and she wasn't somehow martyred and she hasn't somehow ascended to sainthood.

Come on, it's not just the Indo.. All the tabloids and Irish magazines like Hotpress still stick her on the cover over the last few weeks. It's overkill.

The ghoulish KF anniversary industry is an opt-in. Just skip the KF articles if you have no interest in them. If everybody did the same, you'd see how quickly the tabloids would drop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

anybody else sick of hearing about her for the last year? If she died in any other (non conaine related) way we wouldnt be seeing her every second week in the paper and her family could be left alone.
    Those damn rabbits.

• Advertisement

Dinter wrote: »
    Dragan, the end of the day if you overdosed tonight you'd get maybe three column inches tomorrow. (Apart from on Boards of course where there'd be loads of wailing and gnashing of teeth!!) What makes certain papers decide that your life is somehow worth less than someone elses? Even then I could understand it if it was just because she was a "celebrity" but what annoys me most is the revisionism about her life and career being carried out.

It's the old "don't speak i'll of the dead" bull****.

With regard to the "Big Mistake", i stand by it. We all have our moments in life, that monumental **** up and we either get through or we don't. And it might not kill you straight away, it could be that lesson you never learned at 16 that ****ing kills you when your 40. Either way, you get your warning and you ignore it or you don't.

stovelid wrote: »
    The ghoulish KF anniversary industry is an opt-in. Just skip the KF articles if you have no interest in them. If everybody did the same, you'd see how quickly the tabloids would drop it.

Once you buy a paper I don't think they are going to be able to monitor what you are and aren't reading in it. I don't buy any papers but seeing her mug on them all for the last few weeks is fair annoying.

Once you buy a paper I don't think they are going to be able to monitor what you are and aren't reading in it. I don't buy any papers but seeing her mug on them all for the last few weeks is fair annoying.

Sure, but you can only get as annoyed about it as you want to. I personally don't see the point of brothering. The thing is that a lot of people do care (even if it is to castigate the whole thing) and until they stop, the KF cottage industry will continue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I think there were a few other similar stories this time last year, wonder how they're familys are bearing up. Nothing in the press about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

So far there are 6 pages of boards comments in this thread since the initial post a few hours ago. that's why she's still in the papers. People are still interested, like it or not.

djk1000 wrote: »
    So far there are 6 pages of boards comments in this thread since the initial post a few hours ago. that's why she's still in the papers. People are still interested, like it or not.

Interested in what?

She's not done anything particularly newsworthy in the past 12 months.

djk1000 wrote: »

To me it is more annoyance at the papers always dragging the ar$e out of certain stories and just never leaving them die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

It's not news, it just sells rag papers, I didn't see much coverage in the Business Post!

In a nutshell:

Stop reading sh*t tabloid papers and your exposure to z-list cocaine casualties will be minimized.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

There's no scandal going on in the world of Irish showbiz at the moment so until someone is caught doing something naughty, this story will keep on going.

Who wants to start a rumour???:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement