Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

katy french in the sunday world

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,960 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Dinter wrote: »
    Interested in what?

She's not done anything particularly newsworthy in the past 12 months.

If she has it'd surely have shown up here by now

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

She was a druggie, like every other druggie out there. So what...... I only feel sad that she is being held up to countless little girls around the country as a possible role model. She was a druggie for ****s sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

This thread quite incontrovertibly shows that the gaping wound in our national psyche has clearly yet to be healed; it's a blessing to have a free press to enable us to read all sides of the story of our lost rose, our very own diana.

In a proud republic without royalty, she was truly our country's first princess; a Cathleen Ni Houlihan for the generation that grew up too fast.

May our lady smile upon her as she sits in heaven

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

This thread quite incontrovertibly shows that the gaping wound in our national psyche has clearly yet to be healed; it's a blessing to have a free press to enable us to read all sides of the story of our lost rose, our very own diana.

In a proud republic without royalty, she was truly our country's first princess; a Cathleen Ni Houlihan for the generation that grew up too fast.

:D

http://e.imagehost.org/1000/di.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

anybody else sick of hearing about her for the last year? If she died in any other (non conaine related) way we wouldnt be seeing her every second week in the paper and her family could be left alone. Also, find it funny the way some of the tabloids try to blame her death mainly on the drug dealers, that is like baming publicans for all the alcholics in the country. Dont get me wrong, in not taking the side of the drug dealers!! not by a long shot, but they didnt force anything up her nose.

anway, rant over!!!

I think its time to take her off the frunt page and leave her family in peace

Hats is off to you dude.

That’s what I have been saying for a year im sick of the media portraying her as a victim. She was a little line head. Who snorted blow.
    End of story. Because she was friends of the media she got it handy with the headlines of her death.

If it had been anybody else who o-d they would have been shredded.
    Headline show have something like this :

Stupid D4 Model BLOWS it away

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Ger the man

Hats is off to you dude.

That’s what I have been saying for a year im sick of the media portraying her as a victim. She was a little line head. Who snorted blow.
    End of story. Because she was friends of the media she got it handy with the headlines of her death.

If it had been anybody else who o-d they would have been shredded.
    Headline show have something like this :

+1

The sad thing is that people actually part with cash to buy these 'news papers'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

She was from Switzerland.:rolleyes:

Ah now come on. Her death was hardly a "big mistake". A big mistake is being shot because you happened to call out to some filthbag's house to do some work when a hitman arrives.

Eh, no. The latter isn't a mistake, it's being in the wrong place at the wrong time. A mistake is:
    1. An error or fault resulting from defective judgment, deficient knowledge, or carelessness.

Something that was definitely your own fault, but that you now regret or that had awful consequences. Does Katy French's death not fall under this category? I couldn't stand the girl, but come on, thousands of people do cocaine and they don't all drop dead. She was unlucky. She was no role model but neither was she the devil. She was a young woman who made some silly choices and paid the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

smccarrick wrote: »
    She was a druggie, like every other druggie out there. So what...... I only feel sad that she is being held up to countless little girls around the country as a possible role model. She was a druggie for ****s sake.

+1

I'm sorry to sound blunt, but if the junkie that asks you for money on the ha'penny bridge died of an overdose, would we all be mourning him, and saying how terrible a loss he is to society?? Because thats all Katy French really is when you strip her of her looks cash and status, a junkie. Yes its tragic that she died, its tragic when anyone dies from drugs/drink related addictions. But its ridiculous the way they are talking about her as if she's Irelands answer to princess Diana or something. It irritates me the angle the press are taking on it too. No media coverage should be devoted to her, no 'role model' tag should be attached to her. We should be ashamed of her.

She did this to herself, she wasnt thinking of herself when she snorted those lines, so why are you all wasting your time thinking about her now? so I say, just like I would say of anyone who killed themselves, intentionally or not, tough. You rolled the dice and lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

Anyone interested in nominating her for a Darwin Award?

• Advertisement

Wait ... what?

You're comparing this model to Princess Diana? At least Diana did some good in her life and tried to help the world. And died in far more tragic circumstances than this other one.

She knew the risk. She did it herself. Nobody forced her. Sure you can blame the drug dealers. But then why aren't the pubs blamed for the countless people killed in alcohol-related accidents, or the brewers that make it.

People have to take some personal blame and stop funneling it on to others. And for christ sake, leave her be. Let her family have their peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

She had the potential to be ireland's top model.

Oh good God. Even she herself was self-aware enough to know that Ireland's "top models" spend their time freezing in a bikini on St. Stephen's Green, advertising Batchelors' baked beans.

She was not our Queen of Hearts.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

peanuthead wrote: »
    +1

I'm sorry to sound blunt, but if the junkie that asks you for money on the ha'penny bridge died of an overdose, would we all be mourning him, and saying how terrible a loss he is to society?? Because thats all Katy French really is when you strip her of her looks cash and status, a junkie. Yes its tragic that she died, its tragic when anyone dies from drugs/drink related addictions. But its ridiculous the way they are talking about her as if she's Irelands answer to princess Diana or something. It irritates me the angle the press are taking on it too. No media coverage should be devoted to her, no 'role model' tag should be attached to her. We should be ashamed of her.

She did this to herself, she wasnt thinking of herself when she snorted those lines, so why are you all wasting your time thinking about her now? so I say, just like I would say of anyone who killed themselves, intentionally or not, tough. You rolled the dice and lost.

You really hit the nail onthe head there man, fair play dude well said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

Q2002 wrote: »
    If she has it'd surely have shown up here by now

:pac:
    I only feel sad that she is being held up to countless little girls around the country as a possible role model. She was a druggie for ****s sake.

Most people outside from the whorish, sell your soul for a photo op, look at my new shoes, I'm a gormless celebrity gang and the circle jerking tabloid newstrash never heard of her until she "tragically" died of self induced massive coke overdose so I don't think we need worry about how betrayed people will feel.

[quote=[Deleted User];58183764]Eh, no. The latter isn't a mistake, it's being in the wrong place at the wrong time. A mistake is: opening the front door to a hitman.[/quote]

I think that qualifies.

[quote=[Deleted User];58183764]Something that was definitely your own fault, but that you now regret or that had awful consequences. Does Katy French's death not fall under this category? I couldn't stand the girl, but come on, thousands of people do cocaine and they don't all drop dead. She was unlucky. She was no role model but neither was she the devil. [/quote]

Man she overdosed. Nothing more nothing less. She did nothing with her life that should put her on a pedestal above some random long term drug user who finds his bag of heroin was cut with rat poison.

[quote=[Deleted User];58183764]She was a young woman who made some silly choices and paid the price.[/quote]

Yep and while I've sympathy for the circumstances don't shit in a bowl and call it haute cuisine. She did coke and died. Big fuking deal. Happens to other people. A friend of mine came very close to passing away about 18 months ago. He wasn't a hypocritical, blonde, clothes horse though so nobody gave a fcuk.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Smart Bug wrote: »
    Anyone interested in nominating her for a Darwin Award?

Why? Nothing particularly novel about an OD.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I have to disagree with you here. I can't see how saying some famous person dies using drugs makes people think drugs are cool or would make them more likely to try them. I'd say it would do the exact opposite. Most stories about famous people using drugs don't glamourise drugs seeing as most seem to lose whatever contracts they had once the story breaks(except musicians).
    I'll have to disagree with you on that one, AC.
    Her death is being portrayed as a tragic one.
    Her lifestyle choices are being glamourised in the media and the slant of blame is being pushed towards the people she was with that night and the people who sold her the cocaine.

To the average clueless 15 year old this is saying that it wasn't really Katie's fault. That it was the fault of those pesky dealers and whatshisname who drove her to the hospital.

A naive person would see this as saying it's ok to do cocaine as long as you get it from someone you trust and naive people generally make foolish decisions as to who to trust.

Dragan wrote: »
    LoL, all you people talking about "your man in Limerick" and "that plumber".

You say their deaths were just as important yet you can't even remember their names.

You remember Katy's though. Do the ****ing math.
    Their names are not still being bandied around in the news.

Come on, it's not just the Indo.. All the tabloids and Irish magazines like Hotpress still stick her on the cover over the last few weeks. It's overkill.
    Didn't HotPress have an interview with the Ducie guy in their most recent edition?
    Dinter wrote: »
    Interested in what?

She's not done anything particularly newsworthy in the past 12 months.
    Brilliant. :)

What he said.

Here's the deal. She took cocaine and it killed her.
    Most people are taught by their parents from a very young age that certain things can kill you. I'm sure Katie's parents we no different.
    She chose to ignore their advice and she died.
    Sympathy for her family at their loss? Yes, but no more than any other family who lose one of their own.

She should not be portrayed as a victim of the drug culture in Ireland because she was a willing part of that drug culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Look the girl is dead and R.I.P. and all that there but FFS she was a junkie. Was she worried about how the drugs got into her nose?..like f*ck she was. Did she care that some poor fool from South Africa or Bolivia or wherever that had to stuff 20 condoms full of coke up his/her ass and fly to Europe with it so they could put a meal on their families table? No... Did she care that a lot of families in Ireland are in fear of their lives on their own housing estates because of the drug dealers putting the fear of god into them in said areas? Nadda....And did she give a sh/t about the innocents who get caught up in the drug wars? Please:rolleyes:.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

You're spot on there Terry, drug dealers are never going away so it's up to the individual not stuff crap up their noses. I get really annoyed looking at all the media reports on this, when will someone have the balls to say it like it really is? The way the media portray it at the moment (as you said) is glamourising coke taking just as long as you do it with a respected and licenses dealer. Bull****, she stupid enough to snort a big pile of white stuff, she paid the price, I don't see why she should be martyred. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

[quote=[Deleted User];58183764]
    I couldn't stand the girl, but come on, thousands of people do cocaine and they don't all drop dead. She was unlucky. She was no role model but neither was she the devil. She was a young woman who made some silly choices and paid the price.[/QUOTE]

Good point Axl Round Punch. There's no need to get so indignant about the whole mess.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Highsider wrote: »
    Look the girl is dead and R.I.P. and all that there but FFS she was a junkie. Was she worried about how the drugs got into her nose?..like f*ck she was. Did she care that some poor fool from South Africa or Bolivia or wherever that had to stuff 20 condoms full of coke up his/her ass and fly to Europe with it so they could put a meal on their families table? No... Did she care that a lot of families in Ireland are in fear of their lives on their own housing estates because of the drug dealers putting the fear of god into them in said areas? Nadda....And did she give a sh/t about the innocents who get caught up in the drug wars? Please:rolleyes:.....

Well to be fair, most of the people that regularly take drugs who've posted on this thread, don't care either. And to be honest, I don't think many of the people that don't take drugs (including myself) think of the multitudes of people who've worked in sweat-shops to make our clothes/worked in sh*tty conditions to grow some of our food/exploited and kicked off their land for mining etc.

Do you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

The way I see it, tabloids are in the business of selling newspapers no matter what. Obviously people people buy them.

IMO anyone with half a brain doesnt buy redtops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I don't think many of the people that don't take drugs (including myself) think of the multitudes of people who've worked in sweat-shops to make our clothes/worked in sh*tty conditions to grow some of our food/exploited and kicked off their land for mining etc.
    Ah... but clothes are legal... ;) (just anticipating the stock answer - the misery is focused on first, then it gets changed to the illegality when it's pointed out that we all support unethical industries...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Well to be fair, most of the people that regularly take drugs who've posted on this thread, don't care either. And to be honest, I don't think many of the people that don't take drugs (including myself) think of the multitudes of people who've worked in sweat-shops to make our clothes/worked in sh*tty conditions to grow some of our food/exploited and kicked off their land for mining etc.

Do you?
    Thats a totally seperate issue. But for the record yes i do try and make myself aware of what im buying.
    Do you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

It's not a separate issue, it's very much relevant. The unethical implications of purchasing drugs is always brought up in such threads, but it's hypocritical for people to take such a holier-than-thou attitude when we're all making unethical purchases every day, even if we try to monitor what we buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Highsider wrote: »
    Thats a totally seperate issue. But for the record yes i do try and make myself aware of what im buying.
    Do you?

I admitted in my post that I don't. The way the world is, if you don't live at a truely subsistence level where you depend on noone but your own labour and land to live, then you really cannot be sure that noone has been exploited.

The rare earth metals that went into making some of the compenents of the computor/device that you just used to post your message on...are you certain that for eg some Chinese state sponsered company didn't "relocate" farmers so as to extract those metals?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

In a lot of 'poor' countries getting a job in a sweatshop is the best gig around. You often hear of, say, Nike factories opeing in Indonesia and thousands queuing for days to try to get work. In some respects, buying from these factories provides continued employment...and it keeps our clothes cheap..:eek:

Terry wrote: »
    Their names are not still being bandied around in the news.

Care to hazard a guess as to why that might be Terry?

Because nobody gives a ****. Because talking about some poor **** who both the farm because he was mistaken for a scumbag is not as much fun as slagging off some poor dead bint.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Dragan wrote: »
    Care to hazard a guess as to why that might be Terry?

Because nobody gives a ****. Because talking about some poor **** who both the farm because he was mistaken for a scumbag is not as much fun as slagging off some poor dead bint.
    I didn't see any news articles slagging off Katie French.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Someone who had more than most, was good looking and was waited on hand and foot when she went out, decided to shove stupid drugs up a place where they didn't belong
    ...no one put a gun to her head and she knew what she was doing - I'm moving on.
    The world has better things to be doing than wasting more time on these people.
    The stupid pay for the consequences of their own actions! They should stop blaming everyone else but themselves!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

but it's hypocritical for people to take such a holier-than-thou attitude when we're all making unethical purchases every day, even if we try to monitor what we buy.

Alright, lets slap a ban on all imports from the third world that dont measure up to our standards. We can bring clothes manufacturing back to the west. Get my great aunt Phyllus a job ( were she alive).

the problem with Kathy French is the disconnect between what the Dublin 4 socialite , and sindo writing, class thinks is known in Ireland, and what the rest of us know is known. It is unfortunate that she died, yes. It is mostly her fault, yes. The media's blame of the dealers alone is suspect. yes. All that.

The real disconnect for me that I had no clue who she was before she died.

Diana she was not. Diana was famous. Diana was a princess. This girl was unknown outside her bedroom and the few people in the industlry who know the stars ( there are stars in every industry). However the press played it as if we all lost a revered icon, as if gaybo had died of coke addiction and we were in continual shock, and needed to be reminded continually of our loss and anger.

but I can speak for many, and probably for most in saying I didnt know who she was.

so lets end the discussion. here too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement