Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

katy french in the sunday world

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

That is the only intelligent thing taht anyone has ever written on boards or AH anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭deleriumtremens

On a slight tangent here, is anyone else getting tired of the guests on podge and rodge?! Havnt heard of any of them in the last year although admittedly I only catch it the odd time nowadays!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

galwayrush wrote: »
    Apologies if mentioned before, ( 11 pages to read and i'm a lazy bastard)
    Tragic as her death was, she took drugs so she is responsible for her own death and what really annoys me, i remember reading about 2 guys in Waterford who died from drugs the same week, they didn't get a mention in the media this week.

Hear Hear. It's not as if she was murdered, shot, raped or an innocent victim of gang violence. She was a media whore.

I also think you'll find that in 'Diary of a model', she categorally denies she'd ever or would ever dabble with drugs...so she's a lier too.

I'm sorry for her death, but you live by the sword, you die by the sword. She's had enough exposure already. Somebody please close this thread up and open up a thread to remember the innocent victims of gang violence or something that's worthy of talking about

EDIT: Also, none of her family ever came out and said what she died of, or the conseqences of taking drugs. Poor Leag Betts' brave father came up with a sustained compaign of awareness into the dangers of taking ecstacy. I think Katy French's family could have capitalised better on her fame and her name, to highlight the harms of cocaine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

flanzer wrote: »
    Poor Leag Betts' brave father came up with a sustained compaign of awareness into the dangers of taking ecstacy.

He should have started a campaign about the misinformation around the use of drugs which lead to his daughters death.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Dragan wrote: »
    He should have started a campaign about the misinformation around the use of drugs which lead to his daughters death.

:confused:

Ecstasy was the root cause of her death? No?

• Advertisement

flanzer wrote: »
    :confused:

Ecstasy was the root cause of her death? No?

No, she died from drinking too much water because she had been told XTC would heavily dehydrate her, which is false. If she had been told "XTC will give you lots of energy and you'll dance a lot in a hot club, maybe have a drink of water every now and then", she would still be alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

No, she died from drinking too much water because she had been told XTC would heavily dehydrate her, which is false.

And, purely coincidentally, nightclub toilet taps sometimes seemed to have virtually no pressure and exorbitant prices were charged for bottled water. But obviously, the sole blame lies with a drunk teenager for taking a pill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

What? Did i actually read that right?

Nitpicking? The cause of death was water intoxication. Leah Betts took ONE XTC tablet and proceeded to drink enough water to kill herself.

Do you not realise that had she been told the truth about XTC, instead of a scare tactice to try and get to people to not take the drug, that she would still be alive?

Or is that small fact lost on you?

think we'll have to agree to disagree. i still firmly believe that E was a cause of her death.not the only cause, you can cite water intoxication/renal failure/whatever, but imo, E was a definite factor.

sam34 wrote: »
    think we'll have to agree to disagree. i still firmly believe that E was a cause of her death.not the only cause, you can cite water intoxication/renal failure/whatever, but imo, E was a definite factor.

Autopsy Reports disagree with you completely. There was nothing coming up in toxicology reports that indicated the E tablet she took had any negative affect on any internal organs.

But you're right, we should keep perpetuating the myths that exist around drugs if that makes you feel better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Jesus1222

rose tinted rubbish.
    she shouldnt have even been admitted to hospital that night, and the bed and doctors time should have been reserved for someone with proper "honest injuries". our tax dollars pay for the customs officials and police to hunt down the dealers who supply the stuff and now you want our tax dollars to pay to revive her too. . she got her come uppance .she essentially was a criminal .

The moral certainty of this is breathtaking. I hope you never have children or brothers or sisters who become criminals and smoke a joint or take an ecstasy tablet. If they become ill I presume you'll be just as certain about things. Maybe throw them out the front door just as they're puking and going unconcious? You'd let them choke on their own vomit in your front garden right?

• Advertisement

Autopsy Reports disagree with you completely. There was nothing coming up in toxicology reports that indicated the E tablet she took had any negative affect on any internal organs.

But you're right, we should keep perpetuating the myths that exist around drugs if that makes you feel better.

i haven't seen the autopsy report, so i've no idea if what you claim is true. it may well be, i don't know. if it is true, it doesn't mean E wasnt a factor in her death. sure, it may not have "had any negative affect on any internal organs", but that's only a part of an autopsy report. what it's essentially saying is that the E tablet didnt cause structural damage to her kidneys/liver, etc. that doesnt mean her kidneys weren't failing.

you're leaving out an important part of the equation when you say her death was down to water intoxication. but you seem to think thats an acceptable omission. by your logic, why not leave out the water intoxication part and just say the girl died from renal failure, and have people scratching their heads wondering what caused a healthy girl's kidneys to fail?
    if someone died because they were in a car crash and sustained a brain injury, would you say the cause of death was brain damage, and leave out the fact that they'd been in a collision?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

I think the last few posts could be removed to a Should we ban E, or H20 thread in their own right.

Not that they arent interesting, but....

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭chops1990

Christ almighty I'm sick of hearing about this one. She was a model who snorted bad coke. She wasnt a ****ing saint, she didnt solve any world problems. IMO she was simply a cokehead, it seems to me she is being idolized by RTE. Does this mean its ok to snort coke?

i haven't seen the autopsy report, so i've no idea if what you claim is true. it may well be, i don't know. if it is true, it doesn't mean E wasnt a factor in her death. sure, it may not have "had any negative affect on any internal organs", but that's only a part of an autopsy report. what it's essentially saying is that the E tablet didnt cause structural damage to her kidneys/liver, etc. that doesnt mean her kidneys weren't failing.

you're leaving out an important part of the equation when you say her death was down to water intoxication. but you seem to think thats an acceptable omission. by your logic, why not leave out the water intoxication part and just say the girl died from renal failure, and have people scratching their heads wondering what caused a healthy girl's kidneys to fail?
    if someone died because they were in a car crash and sustained a brain injury, would you say the cause of death was brain damage, and leave out the fact that they'd been in a collision?

Your analogy is completely wrong. You should have said "If somebody was in a car crash, got out unharmed and smashed their own head of a wall 10 times until they died because they had been misinformed that this is the correct thing to do after a car crash.......would you say they had died from the collision".

And please, point out what i am leaving out by saying her death was down to water intoxication?

I have given the following version of events EVERY time i speak about this case on boards.

1) Girl goes to club.
    2) Girl drops a pill.
    3) Girl proceeds to plow water into her because she has been told this is what to do.
    4) Girl collapses.
    5) Girl is in a coma.
    6) Girl dies.
    7) Autopsy Report shows that cause of death was water intoxciation.

Why did she drink all the water? See point 3.

I was fed the same bull**** about drugs when i was a kid, and if i had followed the majority of advice based on scare tactics that i was given i would most likely be dead too.

Based off taking one pill, over the duration of time she drank enough water to kill herself, she had NO reason to drink that much water other than that was the myth that was sent around at the time by various parents groups and government bodies, that is to say the myth that "E will heavily dehydrate you and you will DIE if you don't drink loads of water".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭RoosterIllusion

I've already expressed my opinion on French's death so bear with me on this one:

"She knew the risks and she did coke" - in fairness, maybe she did nopt know the risks, I mean yes people say coke is dangerous but maybe she had no idea why, she did coke, yes, but perhaps the way she ingested it was more dangerous than another way. this is not an issue of her being naive or innocent, I'm just saying that people know the "risks" of drugs as drugs being dangerous, there is not really much information otherwise though.

I know I don't want to do heroin, I know it's "dangerous" but other than getting an infection from a needle or it being cut with something toxic I don't actually know why heroin could kill me. I would regard myself as a consciencious person who has a decent awareness of drugs etc. See my point?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Whats black white and hungry?

Katie French's cat.

No sleep for 30 odd hours makes things seems like im drunk. Its great. Im hungry.

can you not see the connection between points 2 and 3 in your sequence of events? really? it's interesting how you blame all the misinformation going around but dont blame the pill. it still stands that had she not taken the E she would not have consumed as much water.
    to answer your question, when you state "the cause of death was water intoxication " you leave out teh events preceeding it, as if they were merely coincidental.

thats my opinion on the matter. we can go back and forth on it all day but my opinion wont change, and i doubt yours will either.

can you not see the connection between points 2 and 3 in your sequence of events? really? it's interesting how you blame all the misinformation going around but dont blame the pill. it still stands that had she not taken the E she would not have consumed as much water.
    to answer your question, when you state "the cause of death was water intoxication " you leave out teh events preceeding it, as if they were merely coincidental.

thats my opinion on the matter. we can go back and forth on it all day but my opinion wont change, and i doubt yours will either.

My point is that if she had been told the actual truth about the drug in question, instead of a useless scare tactic that was told to hundreds and thousands of kids over the years, then she would not have felt the need to drink as much water as she did and she would be alive.

And how the hell am i leaving out the events that preceeded it, when i have clearly stated that she took the drug?

It's not like i said "she drank loads of water and died", i have said "she took E, drank loads of water, and died".

The issue for me is why she drank that much water and the answer is because of misinformation.

Thats my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

The cause of death was misinformation and excess water consumption. She could have taken the E and not died. It is only contributory to her death in that she had been misinformed about its effects.

E does not cause dehydration any more than eating fish fingers does. If someone told you to make sure you drink loads of water when eating fish fingers and you subsequently die from excess water consumption, what caused your death? Fish fingers? No. Misinformation and excess water.

Fair enough. It's true to say if she didn't take E she would have lived however the same could be said of my fish fingers analogy. You wouldn't seriously argue that fish fingers would be the cause of death though would you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

javaboy wrote: »
    If someone told you to make sure you drink loads of water when eating fish fingers and you subsequently die from excess water consumption, what caused your death? Fish fingers? No. Misinformation and excess water. [...] It's true to say if she didn't take E she would have lived however the same could be said of my fish fingers analogy. You wouldn't seriously argue that fish fingers would be the cause of death though would you?

I don't know man, that Captain Birdseye is a serious junkie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

It's a two-way battle. Katy took drugs, with which were at the time well known for a string of deaths (especially in my city) - but yet, she continued to live the life of a rockstar.

Now I have an immense amount of sympathy for her family. It obviously can't be helpful for them to get over when the media constantly whores the story about.

The media is right though - the people responsible for bringing cocaine and the likes into our country should be held responsible. Drugs are highly addictive, and all it takes is a night of curiosity to become addicted.

Now, Katy was a stupid idiot for taking cocaine. I have less sympathy for her. But let's not let the medias poor taste in stories anger us up enough to actually smile over someone's death.

dlofnep wrote: »
    Drugs are highly addictive, and all it takes is a night of curiosity to become addicted.

:pac::D:)

Oh wait, you really mean that.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

It's sad isn't it...

Well, maybe not 1 night.. But a few nights of poor judgment on the beer for sure. I've seen it personally myself.

Well, maybe not 1 night.. But a few nights of poor judgment on the beer for sure. I've seen it personally myself.

They chose to do it. They weren't addicted to it after a few nights not a hope, it can become habit forming though but certainly not after a few nights on the beer.

Davei141 wrote: »
    They chose to do it. They weren't addicted to it after a few nights not a hope, it can become habit forming though but certainly not after a few nights on the beer.

Right, says Davei the addiction expert. I think you'll find a few doctors in addiction clinics would disagree with you. Times can vary, especially if the person has psychological/emotional issues. Some might not ever become addicted to cocaine.

But yes, I agree with you. They do choose to do it. I think if you read my original post, you'd see that I had already stated that.

But you also have to look at dealers who are distributing illegal drugs, knowing that they are addictive with the intention of making money, at the cost of lives. This is surely also as important.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭patmac

TV3 hit the jackpot when they showed that documentary featuring her last year up to, during and after her death and are now rehashing to coincide with her anniversary. Nice, that station really is the lowest of the low, shameless exploitation of a non person who died taking drugs, there are more pressing subjects like when can I have sausages for breakfast again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

im sick of this, only one way to sort things out:

ima go piss and the junkie clunts grave, feel free to join in at any time...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

people seem to be ridiculing her needlessly here, fair enough, someone who could be considered a role model should have more reason not to do drugs than Joe the plumber. but really, it's the papersand the vacous D4 culture trying to make a mountain out of a molehill here. i didn't know her (obviously) so i cant rant about her talent/lack of talent, whatever.

she wasn't known too well outside her own circle up to her death, (the first time i ever heard of her was on Tubberty(sp.?) Tonight about a week or two before she died)
    now suddenly, she's "Irelands top model" (said like it's a good thing) and has people crying over her, who, up to a month earlier, never heard of her. the papers are trying to make out that she was Irelands own Princess Diana (nw that WAS tragic)

Her D4 "friends" swooped in to have their say before the girl was cold. her dealers "murdered" her. i just wonder how her poor faminy feels, reading all this bull in the papers.

• Advertisement

Right, says Davei the addiction expert.

Well as long as you have "seen it".
    I think you'll find a few doctors in addiction clinics would disagree with you. Times can vary, especially if the person has psychological/emotional issues. Some might not ever become addicted to cocaine.

People with emotional issues are more prone to a harder come down, so they take it again to come back up or soften the downer. Its habit forming and if you choose to get through the downer you wont get addicted.
    But yes, I agree with you. They do choose to do it. I think if you read my original post, you'd see that I had already stated that.

yeah but you had to get in "a few poor nights of judgement on the beer". I have been locked and smoked some cigarettes while locked, nicotine the most addictive substance known to man and i have never craved it. You talk like bang a few lines and somebody is hooked for life.
    But you also have to look at dealers who are distributing illegal drugs, knowing that they are addictive with the intention of making money, at the cost of lives. This is surely also as important.

Thats life, look around you everywhere is taking advantage of something for some money.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement