Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intel ProSet Connect before windows starts

Options
  • 08-12-2008 2:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I recently installed a few new programs and I think it may have been when I removed AVG antivirus and installed Avira instead, that now when I boot the computer (from shut down) and log into windows, the wireless system tray icon is yellow and some programs that require a connection at start up, start popping up notices saying they can't connect, then a few seconds later it gets the connection and turns green. Before I installed Avira, it would be green from the start of windows.

I googled and found a solution where you can set it to connect before anyone logs in, but this is a bit excessive as you need to set up a whole new profile and would have to each time you want it to do the same.

Has anyone any experience with this and is there any way I can just get it to be connected before any of the other programs start looking for a connection?

Any feedback appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

anyone? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Burklert

If the anti virus is causing the wireless zero config to be delayed there is most likely nothing basic you can do about it.

My personal preference is to not have those auto loading programs. They can slow down the startup like something else.

So this is not quite the answer your looking for but I'd advise you to think the other way around and stop the programs connecting first!

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately I need these programs always connected so it would take longer to start them all up individually than to wait for the wireless to connect, just unfortunate that it can't be the way it used to be. What's this zero config about? Is there any way you can set them in some kind of order to start I wonder?

Your zero config is the bowels of your wireless connection. Its a piece of code that manages ip's and connections. i.e allows you to connect to router. Its the basis of all wireless connections. If anything goes wrong with the zero config you are in are a real barrel of laughs. If you feel like nerding it up http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeroconf will give you a little more in depth look.

One quick question is it xp or vista you are using? And is it an intel card?

Edit: Duh its a intel, its in the thread title

hehe, yep, intel and it's XP :)

Can I do something with the zero config to make it connect before anything else? Without risking messing it up of course :)

• Advertisement

Right the intel module is lovely and all but i dont use it. I use the inbuilt wireless system in xp. The reason i do so is because the intel system is annoying and is running onto of the built in xp wireless controls.

Possible simply solution? Right click on the intel icon and click use window xero configuration. You will then have to retype your password for your wireless so that your laptop can connect. It should be faster and hell its what I use. Try it out? If anything goes arsewise you can simply right click on the icon and re enable the intel system.

Other than that, i did a little research.

I found this forum discussing your request to delay startup items, might be worth a look.
    http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/755795.html

This is the software they suggest. It might be good but i would be wary of such a piece of software.
    http://www.r2.com.au/software.php?page=2&show=startdelay&PHPSESSID=a9e9597707aaf209df55abfbac8f63b6

Let me know what you choose and how it turns out but for now i'm going to sleep.

Thanks a lot for your help :) I'll give it a go and report back :) would prefer not to install any programs myself too so hopefully it wont be necessary :)

It worked :)

Thanks for the tip, never even thought of doing that, means I have one less icon in the system tray too and less startup processes (had to disable them from ccleaner) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

cormie wrote: »
    It worked :)

Thanks for the tip, never even thought of doing that, means I have one less icon in the system tray too and less startup processes (had to disable them from ccleaner) :)
    Yes, the Intel wireless thingy is a bit of a pain alright. They're not all bad though .. I have a Broadcom based card in my Dell laptop, and the utility that comes with that is actually quite good as is the one for Atheros based cards. Neither of these seems to exhibit the problems you were having either.

I've a broadcom in my Vostro 1500 (the laptop I've been using with the above problem) and it's always been fine until I made a few system changes a week or two ago. I can't remember why I chose it over the windows one though, but both seem to be fine and Windows seems to do everything the Intel did, unless I'm forgetting some valid reason why I was using the intel instead...

Everything is fine now anyway :)

but when I first switched to the windows one, one of my programs wasn't connecting, it would go grey (as if it was connecting) then go normal again and I'd have to click "sign in", it had and has always had "use default corporate connection", I changed it to "use secondary smb/ho connection" and it's fine now, whatever that's about...

• Advertisement

Good to hear, Cormie.

The Intel software stacks itself on top of the windows wireless. It can be useful if your connecting to a high security wireless network but the built in xp wireless module works well. The way intel was connecting to the wireless might be the reason you had that oddness with the connection?

Probably was the reason alright, and maybe installing the new AntiVirus software did something.

I think since updating drivers/using windows, the wireless connection has been named to "Wireless connection 2". But for some reason, it just popped up randomly in the system tray. Like it booted fine and was connected and then maybe 30/40 minutes later, just out of nowhere a text bubble appeared from the icon in the system tray just saying "Wireless connection 2" is connected or something like that. Googled and there's info about the connection being renamed to Wireless connection 2, but can't find anything on why it would just randomly popup like that!

EDIT: Sorted :) I just had to disable icon notifications when limited or no connectivity in wireless properties. I thought it was something to do with the Wireless connection 2 but I think they are unrelated and I thought it happened when the connection didn't change, but it happened again and it went from "good" to "low", so maybe last time it went from "low" to "good" and it's usually "good" so I thought it was "good" before and went from "good to good" which there would have been no reason to notify me of, but it probably didn't :P

Advertisement