Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lan PC

Options
  • 08-12-2008 6:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭

Ok guys..looking to build another system just for lan gaming as the rig below is too big to be carrying around..(just lazy really :D)

Anyway video card I have is 8800GTX, not sure whether I'll go quad or duo yet.

So what I'm looking for is a good suggestion for a nice small chassis which holds the gtx sized card and a good board for it. Must also fit in the ATX corsair 620w
    No need for x-fire or sli but it must be pci-e 2.0
    DDR2 will do nicely and one pic slot for an x-fi card.

Was thinking of this case..anyone have one?

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=344273

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭curtin10

I dont have one of these but it seem a good chassis and not too big for lugging around. I reckon go for that one. Im currently building a case for a guy that wants something like you. Im building the whole PC, monitor included into a flight case! Its looking good so far!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

curtin10 wrote: »
    I dont have one of these but it seem a good chassis and not too big for lugging around. I reckon go for that one. Im currently building a case for a guy that wants something like you. Im building the whole PC, monitor included into a flight case! Its looking good so far!!

Sounds interesting :D

what's the spec?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Its bigger than it looks; its basically an mATX tower that got knocked onto its side :p What CPU do/will you have anyway? I heard it can be a pain to add large coolers as the mobo slides rather than drops into this case.

The Rogue's infamous drawback is that its weight is well over 9kg; it has the right SHAPE and looks for a lanparty rig but it weighs 50% more than many light fATX miditowers - in fact, it weighs TWICE as much as the crappy little entry-level Asus Vento that Dabs are flogging for €20 - and that case can accept full ATX mobos. Hell, the Rogue weighs more than an Antec 900! :eek:

If you want a pretty case, fine. But if you want to take some of the strain off your long-suffering back then think again! Look for other cases, but bear in mind that HTPC/desktop/SFF cases are almost always either MUCH heavier than equivalent tower cases and/or use mATX PSUs, making them a bit useless for gaming. Your best bet is to look for mATX or "mini-" towers but its hard to get durable and stylish models nowadays; case makers focus on full towers on one hand and overweight SFF cases on the other. You might also want to look through NZXTs back catalog for some older, lighter models :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Solitaire wrote: »
    I
    The Rogue's infamous drawback is that its weight is well over 9kg; it has the right SHAPE and looks for a lanparty rig but it weighs 50% more than many light fATX miditowers - in fact, it weighs TWICE as much as the crappy little entry-level Asus Vento that Dabs are flogging for €20 - and that case can accept full ATX mobos. Hell, the Rogue weighs more than an Antec 900! :eek:
    It looks strong though. I'd go for strength if it's going to be knocked about allot. If you transport it by backpack it wouldn't be that bad to transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Leimrod had a really cool matx build with an 8800gtx crammed inside, the thing was tiny. Can't remember what case it was but if you look back in the tweaking and modding forum you'll come across it in a build log i think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

I have an Aerocool M40 matx case which I got off harwardwareversand.Its a great case, with good air flow and build quality is decent.

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/1VF8inZjUzH6Zv/articledetail.jsp?aid=9848&agid=635

I use it as a htpc/gaming in the sitting room with my plasma, it looks savage.About 1/3 the height of my cioolermaster dominator.

I it pimped out with :pac:

E2180 @ 2.80ghz with stock fan
    Gigabyte g31m-s2l ( great mobo for 45e, q6600 hit 3.0ghz on it and it supports 45nm with bios update )
    4gb ddr2
    9600gt silent
    corsair 450 vx
    500gb samsung
    dvdrw

I have put a 8800gtx and dual slot 9800gx2 into it and they fit in easy, if you want to put more than 1 hard drive in, you will have to move stuff around but I only need one so it isnt a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

This is what I would be getting Matt.

2sd6spsphgywk7vf0y91_thumb.jpg

E5200 will hit over 3.0ghz no problem on that board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Maplins have that a very similar case for 60 odd euro actually.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=221068

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Indeed. If you need more than just the case then you might just offset HWVSs highish shipping costs with the cheaper prices. And they have some nice solid/shiny Thermaltakes as well, although the price and weight is slowly creeping toward the Rogue (but so is the build quality I'm guessing :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Decisions..decisions..decisions..
    I was gonna get a laptop but the prices are ridiculous as the moment.
    Should have held onto my xps 1710 :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement