Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much branding on Vodafone (nokia e71)?

• 08-12-2008 9:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭

Thinking of switching to Vodafone and buying an e71. Slightly concerned with the amount of tampering/branding they do with the phones because it used to be crazy a few years back. Is there still physical branding (absolutely hate this) and are there any restrictions to the OS? Finally, if there's custom software how hard is it to flash the phone to generic nokia?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Have a voda. branded e71 myself, and it doesnt seem too bloated. The voda. live! softkey is hardcoded and there are a number of undeleteable links in the favourites within the browser, but thats all as far as I can see.

Re flashing it to a generic firmware, Im not so sure this is currently possible.
    There was a thread over on afterdawn about this, but hasnt been updated in quite a while. I investigated it for some time, but found the phone to be just fine with its current fw. Perhaps a nokia centra could do this for you?

Great phone btw ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

bobmeaney wrote: »
    Have a voda. branded e71 myself, and it doesnt seem too bloated. The voda. live! softkey is hardcoded and there are a number of undeleteable links in the favourites within the browser, but thats all as far as I can see.

Re flashing it to a generic firmware, Im not so sure this is currently possible.
    There was a thread over on afterdawn about this, but hasnt been updated in quite a while. I investigated it for some time, but found the phone to be just fine with its current fw. Perhaps a nokia centra could do this for you?

Great phone btw ;)

What? I have a vodafone e71...there is no 'hardcoded' softkey!?!!! What softkey do you mean? The right softkey, out of the box, was for vodafone live, but you can reassign that - like all other buttons!

Yeah, the browser bookmarks can't be deleted, but hey, biggie...
    Startupsplash with voda-logo. But not even a voda theme.
    In this case, o2's branding is worse - my missus got the O2 version.
    Go for it! Great phone!

Advertisement