Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medals for students who get 100%

Options
  • 08-12-2008 10:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine managed to get 100% in LC HL maths, and he was told that he will be getting a medal. Does anyone have some info about medals it or know of any websites. Also, who decides if students get medals, or is it just anyone who gets 100%?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Madness.
    Like most award schemes in this country (1916 scholarships anyone?) I've never heard of this. Though I'd say ask your friend? Did his school contact him about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

In some instances, these medals are awarded by subject associations e.g. Institute of Physics, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

Madness.
    Like most award schemes in this country (1916 scholarships anyone?) I've never heard of this. Though I'd say ask your friend? Did his school contact him about it?

Ye but he went to one of those fee paying schools, and for some reason they're not telling him much about it. They just told him that he'd have to go in for a picture in the school after he's presented with it... just using him as advertising tbh.....

When I read the title first I thought it said 'Medals for students who get over 100%', now that would be impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

sd123 wrote: »
    A friend of mine managed to get 100% in LC HL maths, and he was told that he will be getting a medal. Does anyone have some info about medals it or know of any websites. Also, who decides if students get medals, or is it just anyone who gets 100%?

Whoever gets the highest score in a subject gets a prize; the teachers' association (e.g. Business Studies Teachers' Association) give it out themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭postalservice

You can get 100% and still not get the award!

In applied maths for example, 3 people get gold medals.

Here's something i read on their website;

"Mary Nagle wanted some clarification as to how the top 3 are decided and Oliver pointed out that the SEC have various methods to discriminate between students who get 100%: elegance in getting the solution, the difficulty of the questions answered, the number of questions answered etc. "

ELEGANCE.LOL.

A surprising amount of maths is to do with elegance. : p Sure, you can prove the thing... but can you do it beautifully?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

My cousin got the highest marks in Enigineering for a girl and she got a trophy thing, a certificate and I'm faitly sure she gots moneys as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭postalservice

A surprising amount of maths is to do with elegance. : p Sure, you can prove the thing... but can you do it beautifully?

I knew i should have used a green pen:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I hear all your numbers must be done like the letters in the book of Kells.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Piste wrote: »

LMAO:D

But is it the SEC who inform the schools?

We have it down in here in Cork. Its presented by the cork chamber of commerce for selected subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Piste wrote: »

You have to kill the animal for the vellum too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

Written with your own blood perhaps?

sd123 wrote: »
    Written with your own blood perhaps?
    It is to be expected that some blood may be shed during a particularly exhilirating proof. One gets so caught up in the thrill of the proof, that reservations for personal safety are thrown to the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Friend of mine was throwing vectors around so furiously that he took his eye out with one. They're sharp little feckers.

(And you should always check below you before you drop a perpendicular!)

Advertisement