Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Help choosing system to watch Videos and record from TV

• 08-12-2008 10:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi,

I know this has probably been asked many times and I've read back though alot of threads but the more I read the more confused I get in terms of everything thats out on the market and all the possible setup combinations.

I'm not sure if I would need a couple of systems or just one but what I would like to do is the following.

I currently watch alot of .avi movies on a HD TV using a laptop with VLC Player using the Scart connection on the PC and the S-Video Out. Its great but I'd like to make more use of my HD so would like to start watching HD moves which for the most seem to be .mkv extension. I'd also like the current .avi to be upscaled where possible.

Secondly I have a regular old skybox which we use to watch TV. I'd like to get Skyplus to record but its not practical to bring a second LNB cable to where the box is. I'd like some way now to be able to record Sky TV programs.

I was thinking about getting a new latop that supports HD. Toshiba have one. Its doesnt have a blueray player but does have a HDMI so that would get around my HD issue I think. Just not the recording.

Then there is the WD Media player that supports HD. This would be much cheaper than getting a new laptop but will this still play regular .avi files and do upscaling. I have a WD external passport drive already so copying moves on that wouldnt be an issue for me. So this does seem like a good option.

Then I was reading about Popcorn and Tivx and then looking at the likes of Vistas Media Center, XBMC and Media portal which might do both so this is where I start to get confused.

Is there a easy way to record from a sky box (where I dont have Skyplus) or what would my options be?

I know its all a bit up in the air but before I go and get pieces I dont need etc I'm hoping someone can help me.

Thanks
    Ian

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭ffocused

your best option would be a media centre pc, as that can control your sky box with an i/r blaster and its own epg so it works the same as sky+. It is possible to build a HTPC with a blu ray drive for around €600 now with some shopping around. I think it is also possible to set up a sky+ box with only 1 lnb input. check the satellite and htpc/media centre forums here on boards for more info on both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭blazesoftware

Thanks. Can you purchase ready made ones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭ffocused

you can purchase off the shelf htpc's but they are expensive that way.

Advertisement