Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Possible Wheel Alignment Prob Galway

Options
  • 08-12-2008 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

Hi All
    Two weeks ago I was driving from Wexford to Galway and it was quite icy and slippery. It was grand for most of the journey except the last 2 mile to my house down a twisty backroad. At a really sharp turn I skidded on some ice, even though I was only doing about 20mph.
    What happened was I turned the wheel and the car kept going forward for about 2 feet. Since then the steering feels heavier and detached.
    The thread on the wheels are grand, pretty new wet weather tyres on them. The psi in them is spot on. Could it be that I knocked the alignment out during my 2 seconds of sideways action.
    Also, how much would it cost to get it it re-aligned and my next question is can anybody recommend somewhere in Galway City that could do it......anywhere besides the Renault Main Dealer as they ripped me off the last time :)

Cheers

HB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

A simple slide wouldn't affect your steering/tracking.

Did you hit anything?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Highly unlikely that some understeer knocked the tracking out.

However, if you are concerned about the alignment, to go Calbro on the Tuam Road. They do 4-wheel alignment. Cost me €40 last time (2 years ago).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

peasant wrote: »
    A simple slide wouldn't affect your steering/tracking.

Did you hit anything?

Defo didn't hit anything :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Is the Power steering pump gone "noisy" by any chance?

Jonty wrote: »
    Is the Power steering pump gone "noisy" by any chance?

I don't know what you mean.
    Does this mean it would actually make a "noise" as I haven't heard any strange sounds :)
    Suppose it could be a power steering prob......

• Advertisement

Ok I dropped into Advance on the Headford road on the way home and they tracked all four wheels and the problem is pretty much gone.....
    NOW the problem is, and they did this with my last car too, when the steering wheel is centered, the front wheels aren't. I
    know its a small thing but I'm kinda borderline OCD about things like this :)
    Can I ring them up and demand that they remedy this, or will they laugh at me and hang up :confused:

Cheers

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

hamsterboy wrote: »
    Ok I dropped into Advance on the Headford road on the way home and they tracked all four wheels and the problem is pretty much gone.....
    NOW the problem is, and they did this with my last car too, when the steering wheel is centered, the front wheels aren't. I
    know its a small thing but I'm kinda borderline OCD about things like this :)
    Can I ring them up and demand that they remedy this, or will they laugh at me and hang up :confused:

Cheers

HB

Go back and make them correct it - if it was very off, for instance, your indicators would be constantly cancelling when you didn't want them too !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Go back and make them correct it - if it was very off, for instance, your indicators would be constantly cancelling when you didn't want them too !

Thats exactly whats happening :O
    On the phone to them now!!!

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Lazybones

A fellow borderlince OCD'er!

Steering wheel not centered after wheel allignment is such a pain, and also such a common occurence, I have lost track of teh amount of times I have had to go back to get it redone. And even after having it "re-done" the result is still not right.

Let us know how you get on...personally speaking I have never had a proper result on getting the steering wheel centered in any of the Galway city centre establishments. Just passing on my costly experiences on this subject/

Maybe things have changed and you will have better luck.

I hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction as it is a major source of annoyance.

Well they agreed to sort it and apologised
    Will let you know if they sort it or make it worse.
    Yeah it's funny how OCD you can get about stuff like that.
    I even have to have my two outer rear headrests the exact same height and the middle one one step lower.......Think I might have a problem.....
    Now if only I could get the air freshener to face directly forward all the time :D

HB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I was told the steering wheel could not be accurately centred on my '98 Fiesta when I got the steering rack replaced - anyone know if this is true? Could it be because it's not an OEM rack?

Advertisement