Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ronaldo's behaviour vs Sunderland

• 08-12-2008 10:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this has been covered already - if so, then apologies.

I was disgusted with Ronaldo's behaviour in regards his apparent injury and subsequent actions.

If he's genuinely injured then ok, ask to be substituted, but dont kick the ball out of play and run off the pitch without permission and then run down the tunnel.

If I did that in work I'd be given a disciplinary - get up from my desk, wince, pt on my jacket and leave without asking for permission.

Unbelievable.

Also, his attitude when the ref pulled him up about kicking out at Bardsley, waving him away in a dismissive manner, zero respect.

I think all this European footballer of the year has gone to his head.

He has bags of talent and ability but his attitude is appalling.

Spoke to several United fans over the weekend about this and they were all eqaully as disgusted as me - some even suggested he should be sold at the end of the season as his attitdue may have a disruptive influence on the dressing room.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,448 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I have no problem with him just running off the pitch - given Ronaldo's desire to play football (as commented on by Fergie prior to the Villareal game, for instance) if he feels he is unable to continue then I believe him. No sense in him going to the bench first, and if he really can't play on, no point in him staying on the pitch while they sort a sub out either. As I say, I still maintain faith in Ronaldo to know when he can play and when he can't, so I trust that he couldn't in this case.

What DID annoy me greatly about the incident, is that he kicked the ball out of play. He should have play the ball on to Rafael who had made a nice run up the outside, THEN walk off to the right, and around the pitch; there was no need for him to stop the play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Can yous not just have one tread for Ronaldo where yous can discuss his latest utterings, hairdo, dive etc.?

This is the thing, people scrutinise his every move so much that it becomes tiresome, Tauren, sorry, Mitch, covered pretty much everything I have to say on it.

If he's injured he needs treatment, best place for him is the physio room, not the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

CiaranC wrote: »
    Can yous not just have one tread for Ronaldo where yous can discuss his latest utterings, hairdo, dive etc.?

+1. Yous should have 1 Ronaldo hate thread. Alree?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

CiaranC wrote: »

Are you proposing a Ronaldo sticky thread? Lol and here I was thinking you didn't like the chap...

Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with discussing something that happened in a football match in a football forum... although it is ENGLISH football, this is what bothers you yes?

Anyway, OT, I think Ronaldo was out of order sulking and walking off, he'd want to have at least a broken rib to warrant it, and even then he should have gone off the proper way. Fergie wouldn't have let anybody else away with these things, he let Ince, Beckham, Van Nistelrooy and Keane go, why not Ronnie?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Can someone fix the thread title? It's buggin the pedant in me :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

He seemed to be well enough to fly off to Paris and pick up his award. Not really the behaviour of a committed team player IMO. I'd be very surprised if he's with utd next season.

newbie2 wrote: »
    He seemed to be well enough to fly off to Paris and pick up his award. Not really the behaviour of a committed team player IMO. I'd be very surprised if he's with utd next season.

That is such a poor comment.

I have seen people with broken bones, in casts, get on flights. Just because he was capable of sitting in a car/on a plane/in a car to get to paris does not mean he was fit to play on. Rooney got a kick on the hip last season and was out for 3 weeks; do you think he was lying in bed for those 3 weeks? Oh, he was fit enough to walk downstairs to get himself some cereal.... FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Here's hoping... if he has another good season we should be able to get a huge amount for him...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

As regards what Ronlado done is a player legally allowed to leave the fied of play without the referee's knowledge or permission ? I am going to have a look through the rule back and see what I can find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

redout wrote: »
    As regards what Ronlado done is a player legally allowed to leave the fied of play without the referee's knowledge or permission ? I am going to have a look through the rule back and see what I can find.

i have a feeling they can leave, but to come back on they need permission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

maybe he asked the ref.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

A player is not allowed to leave or enter the field of play without the permission of the ref. When a player gets booked for going into the crowd it is officially for leaving the field of play without the refs permission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

No
    Cautionable Offences
    A player is cautioned and shown the yellow card if he commits any of
    the following seven offences:
    • unsporting behaviour
    • dissent by word or action
    • persistent infringement of the Laws of the Game
    • delaying the restart of play
    • failure to respect the required distance when play is restarted with
    a corner kick, free kick or throw-in
    • entering or re-entering the fi eld of play without the referee’s
    permission
    deliberately leaving the field of play without the referee’s
    permission

Ok found this:

Substitution Procedure
    To replace a player by a substitute, the following conditions must be observed:
    the referee is informed before any proposed substitution is made
    • a substitute only enters the field of play after the player being replaced has left and after receiving a signal from the referee
    • a substitute only enters the field of play at the halfway line and during a stoppage in the match
    • a substitution is completed when a substitute enters the field of play
    • from that moment, the substitute becomes a player and the player he has replaced ceases to be a player
    • a player who has been replaced takes no further part in the match
    • all substitutes are subject to the authority and jurisdiction of the referee, whether called upon to play or not

Disciplinary Sanctions
    Only a player or substitute or substituted player may be shown the red or yellow card. The referee has the authority to take disciplinary sanctions from the moment he enters the field of play until he leaves the field of play after the final whistle.

Cautionable Offences
    A player is cautioned and shown the yellow card if he commits any of the following seven offences:
    1. is guilty of unsporting behaviour
    2. shows dissent by word or action
    3. persistently infringes the Laws of the Game
    4. delays the restart of play
    5. fails to respect the required distance when play is restarted with a corner kick or free kick
    or throw in.
    6. enters or re-enters the field of play without the permission of the referee
    7. deliberately leaves the field of play without the permission of the referee

In my opinion from what I saw of watching the match the two highlighted rules above were not met and so it should be a punishable offence.

Ok found this:

Substitution Procedure
    To replace a player by a substitute, the following conditions must be observed:
    the referee is informed before any proposed substitution is made
    • a substitute only enters the field of play after the player being replaced has left and after receiving a signal from the referee
    • a substitute only enters the field of play at the halfway line and during a stoppage in the match
    • a substitution is completed when a substitute enters the field of play
    • from that moment, the substitute becomes a player and the player he has replaced ceases to be a player
    • a player who has been replaced takes no further part in the match
    • all substitutes are subject to the authority and jurisdiction of the referee, whether called upon to play or not

Disciplinary Sanctions
    Only a player or substitute or substituted player may be shown the red or yellow card. The referee has the authority to take disciplinary sanctions from the moment he enters the field of play until he leaves the field of play after the final whistle.

Cautionable Offences
    A player is cautioned and shown the yellow card if he commits any of the following seven offences:
    1. is guilty of unsporting behaviour
    2. shows dissent by word or action
    3. persistently infringes the Laws of the Game
    4. delays the restart of play
    5. fails to respect the required distance when play is restarted with a corner kick or free kick
    or throw in.
    6. enters or re-enters the field of play without the permission of the referee

In my opinion from what I saw of watching the match the two highlighted rules above were not met and so it should be a punishable offence.
    So any player who runs out of play shen trying to stop a ball from going out should be punished for it by the ref. Letter of the law, right.

As for the first rule highlighted, you are talking crap - of course the ref was informed before the substitution was made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

I can think of plenty of occasions when a player left on a strecther and was not replaced for a few mins

So any player who runs out of play shen trying to stop a ball from going out should be punished for it by the ref. Letter of the law, right.

As for the first rule highlighted, you are talking crap - of course the ref was informed before the substitution was made.

Your talking throught your arse. Referee was informed ? Anderson was coming on to replace someone else not Ronaldo so the ref was not informed. Did you see the camera on Anderson when ronaldo walked off ? he didnt have a clue what was going on and neither did fergie up in the stands who was straight on the phone to the bench but yet you reckon the ref knew. The bloody United bench did not even know what was going on at first for christ sake.

Your talking throught your arse. Referee was informed ? Anderson was coming on to replace someone else not Ronaldo so the ref was not informed. Did you see the camera on Anderson when ronaldo walked off ? he didnt have a clue what was going on and neither did fergie up in the stands who was straight on the phone to the bench but yet you reckon the ref knew. The bloody United bench did not even know what was going on at first for christ sake.

The subs were delayed, the act of substitution does not occur til the new player comes on to the pitch. It doesn't matter when Ronaldo went off. If Anderson had come on immediately, and not for Scholes, and without waiting for the ref to allow him to come on, but NONE of that happened. The sub happened 3 minutes AFTER Ronaldo walked off, when the play had stopped and the ref had indicated for subs to be made. Also, as far as I know the ref doesn't need to be told who is going on or off - that is the job for the 4th official who controls the documents required for substitutions. Are you trying to argue that Anderson just ran on to the pitch without the ref or the 4th official acknowledging it?

Also, according to the BBC, it is Giggs who came on for Ronaldo, not Anderson (who came on for Fletcher, not Scholes, obviously.

Are you trying to argue that Anderson just ran on to the pitch without the ref or the 4th official acknowledging it?

I dont know were you got that from. I said that the referee was not aware at first and stand by that. Ronaldo started to walk off the pitch without anybody's knowledge, then stopped and made signals to the bench. Up to that point nobody on the United bench knew what was going on, hence the 4th offical most certainly could not have known or even been aware that Ronaldo was going to be substituted by the united bench. It was practically a self-substitution. So I certainly think that there is a case of:

that could be disputed.

• Advertisement

I dont know were you got that from. I said that the referee was not aware at first and stand by that. Ronaldo started to walk off the pitch without anybody's knowledge, then stopped and made signals to the bench. Up to that point nobody on the United bench knew what was going on, hence the 4th offical most certainly could not have known or even been aware that Ronaldo was going to be substituted by the united bench. It was practically a self-substitution. So I certainly think that there is a case of:

that could be disputed.

Are you just deliberately trying to change the argument so you don't look stupid?

I'll break it down for you nice and simple:

I SAID: As for the first rule highlighted, you are talking crap - of course the ref was informed before the substitution was made.

YOU SAID: Your talking throught your arse. Referee was informed ? Anderson was coming on to replace someone else not Ronaldo so the ref was not informed. Did you see the camera on Anderson when ronaldo walked off ? he didnt have a clue what was going on and neither did fergie up in the stands who was straight on the phone to the bench but yet you reckon the ref knew. The bloody United bench did not even know what was going on at first for christ sake.

I REPLIED: The subs were delayed, the act of substitution does not occur til the new player comes on to the pitch. It doesn't matter when Ronaldo went off. If Anderson had come on immediately, and not for Scholes, and without waiting for the ref to allow him to come on, but NONE of that happened. The sub happened 3 minutes AFTER Ronaldo walked off, when the play had stopped and the ref had indicated for subs to be made. Also, as far as I know the ref doesn't need to be told who is going on or off - that is the job for the 4th official who controls the documents required for substitutions. Are you trying to argue that Anderson just ran on to the pitch without the ref or the 4th official acknowledging it?

Also, according to the BBC, it is Giggs who came on for Ronaldo, not Anderson (who came on for Fletcher, not Scholes, obviously.

None of that has anything to do with Ronaldo walking off the pitch, and ALL to do with the FIRST rule you highlighted, as I made very clear.

You stated the ref was not informed of the sub; he clearly was as it happened 3 minutes later during a stopage of play after the ref had indicated the subs could be made.

As for Ronaldo leaving the pitch, I presume you want every 'keeper booked every time he steps out of play in the lead up to a goal kick? Or every player who ends up running out of play trying to keep the ball in? I suppose you wanted Owen booked during the 2006 WC when he crawled off the pitch injured.

Are you just deliberately trying to change the argument so you don't look stupid?

I'll break it down for you nice and simple:

I SAID: As for the first rule highlighted, you are talking crap - of course the ref was informed before the substitution was made.

YOU SAID: Your talking throught your arse. Referee was informed ? Anderson was coming on to replace someone else not Ronaldo so the ref was not informed. Did you see the camera on Anderson when ronaldo walked off ? he didnt have a clue what was going on and neither did fergie up in the stands who was straight on the phone to the bench but yet you reckon the ref knew. The bloody United bench did not even know what was going on at first for christ sake.

I REPLIED: The subs were delayed, the act of substitution does not occur til the new player comes on to the pitch. It doesn't matter when Ronaldo went off. If Anderson had come on immediately, and not for Scholes, and without waiting for the ref to allow him to come on, but NONE of that happened. The sub happened 3 minutes AFTER Ronaldo walked off, when the play had stopped and the ref had indicated for subs to be made. Also, as far as I know the ref doesn't need to be told who is going on or off - that is the job for the 4th official who controls the documents required for substitutions. Are you trying to argue that Anderson just ran on to the pitch without the ref or the 4th official acknowledging it?

None of that has anything to do with Ronaldo walking off the pitch, and ALL to do with the FIRST rule you highlighted, as I made very clear.

You stated the ref was not informed of the sub; he clearly was as it happened 3 minutes later during a stopage of play after the ref had indicated the subs could be made.

As for Ronaldo leaving the pitch, I presume you want every 'keeper booked every time he steps out of play in the lead up to a goal kick? Or every player who ends up running out of play trying to keep the ball in? I suppose you wanted Owen booked during the 2006 WC when he crawled off the pitch injured.

Ok fair point on the first one. I can admit I was wrong. But as regards the second rule leaving the field by being on the sideline and walking down the bloody tunnel are hardly the same thing wouldnt you agree. Common sense obviously should prevail for "'keeper booked every time he steps out of play in the lead up to a goal kick? Or every player who ends up running out of play trying to keep the ball in" . I still stand by my point that the referee did not know and Ronaldo should not have left the field to procede down the tunnel.

Ok fair point on the first one. I can admit I was wrong. But as regards the second rule leaving the field by being on the sideline and walking down the bloody tunnel are hardly the same thing wouldnt you agree. Common sense obviously should prevail for "'keeper booked every time he steps out of play in the lead up to a goal kick? Or every player who ends up running out of play trying to keep the ball in" . I still stand by my point that the referee did not know and Ronaldo should not have left the field to procede down the tunnel.

Yeah common sense should prevail, and I do not see how that equates to an injured player leaving the pitch. I think it would have been a poor decision to book him for it. Same as it would have been a terrible decison to book Owen for crawling off the pitch at the World Cup. If you go by the letter of the law, yeah, what Ronaldo did was punishable, but I would strongly disagree that it should be punished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,918 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Yes, common sense did prevail, what Ronaldo did, did not warrant a yellow card.

Look, you don't like Ronaldo, the whole forum knows that, big whoop.

astrofool wrote: »

Look, you don't like Ronaldo, the whole forum knows that, big whoop.

I resent your statement. It is not of any importance that Ronaldo was the player who done it. I would still argue if it had of been any other player. Last week I argued that RVP was wrong to kick the ball and score against city. No Ronaldo involved in that ? Fact is I thought it was wrong and the player who done makes no difference so again I resent your accusation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Ronaldo's a tool, news at 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Lets be devil's advocate for a moment.

Ronaldo goes for a ball and gets hurt ,
    Trys to play on but realises that its a hopeless cause ,
    See his team are about to make change not realising the extent of his injury and the fact that he will not be able to see out the remainder of the game ,
    So he kick the ball out of play and indicates to the bench his problem
    Stops them making a decision without all the right info.
    The bench reacts and makes the right decision ,Now with all the info they need.
    Ronaldo then goes straight down the tunnel to get treatment.

Now I know Mr Alan sorry Redout views on Ronaldo and the kid will never be able to do right in his eyes again but If ROONEY had done all above
    would it be a case of well done lad ,putting the team first ......

ROCKMAN wrote: »

Now I know Mr Alan sorry Redout views on Ronaldo and the kid will never be able to do right in his eyes again but If ROONEY had done all above
    would it be a case of well done lad ,putting the team first ......

To others perhaps but not myself. Yourself and astro seem to want to instigate an argument. This has nothing whatsoever to do with my dislike of the player. As I said already I commented on the RVP thread last week and voiced my opinion when I thought the rules had been broken. I suppose I dislike him also.:rolleyes:

To others perhaps but not myself. Yourself and astro seem to want to instigate an argument. This has nothing whatsoever to do with my dislike of the player. As I said already I commented on the RVP thread last week and voiced my opinion when I thought the rules had been broken. I suppose I dislike him also.:rolleyes:

If we assume for a moment you don't like Ronaldo, it would still not preclude you from having a go at other players, so you RVP argument has no merit at all.

While loads of people didn't like Ronaldo's actions, for various reasons, i think you are the only one saying he should have been punished by the ref for it, and to be honest I do think that is down to your hatred of the player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Now I know Mr Alan sorry Redout views on Ronaldo and the kid will never be able to do right in his eyes again but If ROONEY had done all above would it be a case of well done lad ,putting the team first ......

How was kicking the ball out of play when they were attacking putting the team first?? I wouldnt for one minute suggest what he did was a bookable offence or that he wasnt really that injured but it did come across as a bit of attention seeking and even the united fans near the tunnel looked very bewildered and annoyed with only a very small minority of them applauding him off the field

but at the same time you where posting on other threads your dislike and bias against the player and stating something along the lines cannot wait to see the back of him etc ..... So forgive for stating that he cannot do anything right in your views

and your views on the rest of my post would be nice to keep it on topic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Ronaldo goes for a ball and gets hurt ,
    Trys to play on but realises that its a hopeless cause ,
    See his team are about to make change not realising the extent of his injury and the fact that he will not be able to see out the remainder of the game ,
    So he kick the ball out of play and indicates to the bench his problem
    Stops them making a decision without all the right info.
    The bench reacts and makes the right decision ,Now with all the info they need.
    Ronaldo then goes straight down the tunnel to get treatment.

oh lord. :pac:

Why kick the ball out of play to indicate to the bench? If anything kicking the ball out of play stops play and gives them the chance to make the substitution before he can alert the bench. He should of passed the ball then told the bench he had to come off while the ball was in play.

Then he can either jog around the pitch for a few minutes or just sit his ass on the ground and make sure he gets himself stretchered off which will give the bench the chance to get the sub organised.

Even Fergie must be getting sick off his antics at this stage. I'd be shocked if he's a United player come september next yr.

If we assume for a moment you don't like Ronaldo, it would still not preclude you from having a go at other players, so you RVP argument has no merit at all.

While loads of people didn't like Ronaldo's actions, for various reasons, i think you are the only one saying he should have been punished by the ref for it, and to be honest I do think that is down to your hatred of the player.

I am not even going to indulge this as it is just leading in one direction.
    Suffice to say you are entitled to your opinion whatever that may be as am I.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

He seemed to be well enough to fly off to Paris and pick up his award.

Im sorry but this made me crack up laughing. wtf does that have to do with anything? if i had a sore hip, i could still sit on a bloody plane! If you have a bad hip, you cant play Premiership football, sitting down though i reckon he could manage.:rolleyes:

Ronaldo's head is a bit fuzzy lately, i dont know why, but he is acting really strange. Its worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

No problem at all with Ronaldo. At the time of the challenge on him blood was clearly visible under his jersey so it must have been a fairly bad injury. He carried on as long as he could and asked to be subbed when he felt he couldn't carry on.

• Advertisement

oh lord. :pac:

Why kick the ball out of play to indicate to the bench? If anything kicking the ball out of play stops play and gives them the chance to make the substitution before he can alert the bench. He should of passed the ball then told the bench he had to come off while the ball was in play.

Then he can either jog around the pitch for a few minutes or just sit his ass on the ground and make sure he gets himself stretchered off which will give the bench the chance to get the sub organised.

Even Fergie must be getting sick off his antics at this stage. I'd be shocked if he's a United player come september next yr.

JUST watching it again now on MUTV.

59 min get hurt in tackle, leaves pitch for treatment
    61 min comes back on and stays out on the wing
    63 min takes a freekick and moves back outside
    64 min ball is pasted to him he move 2/3yards in field and plays a ball to Tevez (Anderson sub/action and was occuring as this was happening )who plays it straight back to him NB *HE PLAYS THE RETURN BALL STRAIGHT OUT BY FLICKING IT BEHIND HIMSELF AND RAISES HIS HAND IMMEDIATELY TO BENCH yes Rafael made a run but there is no way Ronaldo even seen him ,the run was made behind him, BUT he could have seen the activity on the bench ie board /player as that was the way he was facing .

To me its just making a mountain out of a mole hill Which I suppose is to be expected when it comes to everything Ronaldo related.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,918 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I resent your statement. It is not of any importance that Ronaldo was the player who done it. I would still argue if it had of been any other player. Last week I argued that RVP was wrong to kick the ball and score against city. No Ronaldo involved in that ? Fact is I thought it was wrong and the player who done makes no difference so again I resent your accusation.

You're dragging your opinion through the mud at this stage, I'm sure a lot of people will now dismiss many of your posts as being agenda driven.

I can't believe after all the comments to the contrary, evidence against your opinion (admitting you got it wrong at one point), that you're still dragging it on, there's more important battles to be fought elsewhere.

You're quoting a rule regarding leaving the pitch, which usually isn't enforced unless in extreme circumstances. The FA haven't commented that the ref has done the wrong thing here, so you have to assume they are happy that the laws of the game were followed, over and done with.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

that ronaldo.... always up to no good.

you'd never see lionel messi leave the pitch like that, do u know why? cos hes f**kin great and ronaldo is not f**kin great. ohh yeah.

its getting funny at this stage, its just like pro wrestling in here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Ronaldo just wants to do as little as possible so he can move a lot easier to Real Madrid in the summer. He is annoyingly great as a player but the success has gone straight to his cranium unfortunately.

astrofool wrote: »
    You're dragging your opinion through the mud at this stage, I'm sure a lot of people will now dismiss many of your posts as being agenda driven.

Please. you saw a thread about Ronaldo and my name and immediately jumped to the conclusion that my assessment was agenda driven. How cynical of you to think such, you are doing nothing more than to show us the stereotypical views which you hold. Coming from a moderator speaks wonders for your public perception.

• Advertisement

Please. you saw a thread about Ronaldo and my name and immediately jumped to the conclusion that my assessment was agenda driven.

it is

redout wrote:
    How cynical of you to think such, you are doing nothing more than to show us the stereotypical views which you hold. Coming from a moderator speaks wonders for your public perception.

and lol

Jazzy wrote: »
    it is

and how could you possibly ascertain this. Oh wait. another cynical and stereotypical guy. It goes to show how simple minded some people are when they are not willing to see things in any other way but their own. I said already it made no importance who the player was and pointed out how I said RVP broke the rules the preceding week.

dunno, i suppose i can read between the lines pretty easily.

either that or im really really simple

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

if a player can't leave or enter the pitch without permission, should Berbatov's little move earlier in the season on the endlline where he flicked it around the defender and ran off the endline and back in on the other side have been allowed?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

podge018 wrote: »
    if a player can't leave or enter the pitch without permission, should Berbatov's little move earlier in the season on the endlline where he flicked it around the defender and ran off the endline and back in on the other side have been allowed?

What a silly post.

so you can't answer definitively then?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If you are trying to equate a player leaving the lined area of play during the course of play as happens at corners, throw ins, overrunning the ball, shepharding it out of play, sliding off in a tackle etc with a player leaving to go to the dressing room for good then you really need to evaluate the way you think is best to argue the point at hand.

In my view I think the leaving the filed of play rule is for when a player leaves of his own volition for a period of time, including permantently for that match as was the case this time. However, I think that if an injury is obvious then it should not be a booking. Not all football rules are black and white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭hallelujah

These footy arguments can get a bit petty can't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

especially when people act like a*seholes

5starpool wrote: »
    If you are trying to equate a player leaving the lined area of play during the course of play as happens at corners, throw ins, overrunning the ball, shepharding it out of play, sliding off in a tackle etc with a player leaving to go to the dressing room for good then you really need to evaluate the way you think is best to argue the point at hand.

In my view I think the leaving the filed of play rule is for when a player leaves of his own volition for a period of time, including permantently for that match as was the case this time. However, I think that if an injury is obvious then it should not be a booking. Not all football rules are black and white.

I'm not trying to equate that at all. I'm asking a completely separate question which happens to stem from comments made in this thread.

I know a defender can't momentarily step off the pitch to gain an advantage by playing a forward offside, so was just asking if a forward can momentarily step out of the field of play for his own advantage. I can start a new thread on it if you want.

Corners, throw-ins, goal kicks, are breaks in play. Over-running the ball and the momentum carrying you over unintentionally is different. Berbatov ran out of play purposely to get around the defender.

• Advertisement
Advertisement