Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business Letters

Options
  • 08-12-2008 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

Mods: Please move this to another forum if this is not the correct one.

When writing a letter to Revenue, or any other organisation where you don't know the name of the person you are addressing do you use

Dear sirs

or

Dear Sirs

I was always of the opinion that you would use the lowercase form, but it seems more commonplace to insert a capital letter in most letters I receive and in the letters written by my colleagues.

Regards,

Past 30

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Failed Salesman

Past30Now wrote: »
    I was always of the opinion that you would use the lowercase form, but it seems more commonplace to insert a capital letter in most letters I receive and in the letters written by my colleagues.

All professional letters that we issue that I've seen have the capital letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I'm not sure many in the profession use the prefix "Dear"

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fiona44

The standard bank confirms and solicitors letters that have been approved by the ICAI use:

Dear Sir(s)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Fiona44 wrote: »
    The standard bank confirms and solicitors letters that have been approved by the ICAI use:

Dear Sir(s)

These are standard though, Revenue letters vary and one particular accountant I know will address letters to Revenue.

Sirs,

Yours,

X

In fact putting Dear in front of sirs can cause the letter needing to be edited and reprinted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement