Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Rid of your lasercard to get a plain old atm card... (NOT POSSIBLE !)

Options
  • 08-12-2008 11:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Hi all,

Today i made a deal with the bank to limit my spending in these harse economic times so now I don't have any overdraft (hooray) My second question for the bank was , I like to get a normal ATM card and I want to get rid of my Lasercard (so i can limited my gambling spending as well !).

And guess what there answer was...

No this is not possible , they are not made anymore..

Soo anybody knows why I can't ? Is that a believable answer ??

Its a AIB bank

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Its true, for AIB anyway.

I held out for years getting the laser/maestro card. They kept sending them to me and I kept ignoring them in favour of my ancient banklink card. Eventually I had to give in as my banklink card wouldn't work anymore so now I use the maestro card.

Apparently if you only use it as an ATM card you will only be charged the ATM stamp duty and not the laser stamp duty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

theh wrote: »
    Hi all,

Today i made a deal with the bank to limit my spending in these harse economic times so now I don't have any overdraft (hooray) My second question for the bank was , I like to get a normal ATM card and I want to get rid of my Lasercard (so i can limited my gambling spending as well !).

And guess what there answer was...

No this is not possible , they are not made anymore..

Soo anybody knows why I can't ? Is that a believable answer ??

Its a AIB bank

Surely not AIB's problem if you have a gambling problem. Cut the card up and throw it in the bin if it's causing a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

stepbar wrote: »
    Surely not AIB's problem if you have a gambling problem. Cut the card up and throw it in the bin if it's causing a problem.

Don't think the OP ever said it was AIB's problem. He just wanted to know was he being told the truth. I would imagine he still needs the card to take money out of the ATM but doesn't want the laser facility as he can use it online for gambling. (if he doesn't have the laser it will gid rid of the temptation to gamble online)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Laser also makes your account more vunerable to theft if you lose your Laser card! :(

Advertisement