Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky TV - Sterling Exchange Rate

Options
  • 08-12-2008 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

I was onto Sky this morning, I needed to book an Engineer, the guy on the phone told me that they charge £65 sterling for an engineer in the UK and 100 euro for Irish Customers. This obviously is not a fair exchange rate, as £65 sterling equates to 75.70 euro at todays exchange rate. Anyway you could argue that the cost of labour etc is more expensive, so I looked at the sky UK website. A Sky World package in the UK is £47 sterling per month, in Ireland it 81 Euro. £47 sterling is only 54.73 Euro, so what's the difference? Surely it's not more expensive to send up a satellite signal for me than someone in Newcastle for example?

I got onto the Consumer Association but Sky is not regulated in Ireland so I had to call the European Complaints Centre who tell me that there is no legislation in place for a fair exchange rate, basically companies can charge what they like.

Has anyone had similar experiences? Did you complain and get any satisfaction from the company? I'm just a LITTLE f*cked off that yet again we are being ripped off. Can we do nothing about this?

Phew! Actally feel better for just having got it off my chest!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Stoned Hippy

If you talk to sky about it I can almost guarantee you'll get the old chestnut,

"Costs are higher in Ireland so we have to charge more, wages, taxes etc" blah blah blah

Also in fairness to them they probably set their prices a long time ago before the sterling became so weak.

Get used to it, rip off republic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Every company charges different amounts in Ireland and the UK, from Dunnes to mobile operators. If you're not happy, don't pay for it, because they're free to charge as much as they like, it's up to us to pay or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Frowzy wrote: »
    I was onto Sky this morning, I needed to book an Engineer, the guy on the phone told me that they charge £65 sterling for an engineer in the UK and 100 euro for Irish Customers. This obviously is not a fair exchange rate, as £65 sterling equates to 75.70 euro at todays exchange rate. Anyway you could argue that the cost of labour etc is more expensive, so I looked at the sky UK website. A Sky World package in the UK is £47 sterling per month, in Ireland it 81 Euro. £47 sterling is only 54.73 Euro, so what's the difference? Surely it's not more expensive to send up a satellite signal for me than someone in Newcastle for example?

I got onto the Consumer Association but Sky is not regulated in Ireland so I had to call the European Complaints Centre who tell me that there is no legislation in place for a fair exchange rate, basically companies can charge what they like.

Has anyone had similar experiences? Did you complain and get any satisfaction from the company? I'm just a LITTLE f*cked off that yet again we are being ripped off. Can we do nothing about this?

Phew! Actally feel better for just having got it off my chest!!!!!!

Get over it ..

I don't get this thing of .. its Sterling vs Euro... theres stuff in Retailers that are priced differently in the Eurozone.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Frowzy

craichoe wrote: »
    Get over it ..

I don't get this thing of .. its Sterling vs Euro... theres stuff in Retailers that are priced differently in the Eurozone.

Thanks to Stoned Hippy and Jor_el for your consturctive comments. I actually felt better for just having a moan. Rip off Republic seems to be the way to describe it however.

As for telling me to get over it Craichoe, don't worry I will. But when will you????

Thanks to Stoned Hippy and Jor_el for your consturctive comments. I actually felt better for just having a moan. Rip off Republic seems to be the way to describe it however.

As for telling me to get over it Craichoe, don't worry I will. But when will you????

Its more that this thread topic has been done over and over and i still don't get the Irish argument of Sterling Vs Euro.

Its the exact same everywhere else in Europe except its even more apparent because its a Euro to Euro comparison.

Alot of stuff is CHEAPER in Ireland compared to other Countries in the Eurozone and other stuff costs more (for various reasons) but i still don't get this mentality of comparing an Affluent state which is the Repbulic to the North which has a much higher unemployment rate and less wealth.

You live in Ireland and you earn more, and you spend more and then you expect things to be as cheap as place where the average wage is a significant percentage lower than yours for the same job.

Your not being ripped off, you just earn more than someone working in the North so you can pay more locally, if you really want that deal in the North then go shop there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Perhaps the local Sky-appointed engineers won't do the job for less.

Its more that this thread topic has been done over and over and i still don't get the Irish argument of Sterling Vs Euro.

Its the exact same everywhere else in Europe except its even more apparent because its a Euro to Euro comparison.

Alot of stuff is CHEAPER in Ireland compared to other Countries in the Eurozone and other stuff costs more (for various reasons) but i still don't get this mentality of comparing an Affluent state which is the Repbulic to the North which has a much higher unemployment rate and less wealth.

You live in Ireland and you earn more, and you spend more and then you expect things to be as cheap as place where the average wage is a significant percentage lower than yours for the same job.

Your not being ripped off, you just earn more than someone working in the North so you can pay more locally, if you really want that deal in the North then go shop there.

I was actually talking about England in my post, but you seem to be referring to the North a lot here. Are you suggesting that I can purchase my Sky subscription in the North? If not then how are your comments helpful to my questions?

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Perhaps the local Sky-appointed engineers won't do the job for less.

Ya, I thought the same thing ejmaztec. But I called the local sky engineer and he'll do a call out direct for 35 euro, so guess where my money's going?

Thanks for that though!

I was actually talking about England in my post, but you seem to be referring to the North a lot here. Are you suggesting that I can purchase my Sky subscription in the North? If not then how are your comments helpful to my questions?

You'd just need an address in the North but would lose all of the Irish stations.

You'd just need an address in the North but would lose all of the Irish stations.

LOL! I wouldn't mind loosing the Irish Stations so much! But it might be a little tricky when trying to book an Engineer to come and fix the dish!!!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

Frowzy,

Ring Sky up and tell them you want to cancel Sky or drop your sub to the minimum blaming difference in pricing £ vs. € - you should get a few months free movies\sports out of them.

I did this 2 months ago and got 3 months free movies\sports.

I know this doest address the difference in pricing but it will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

A Sky World package in the UK is £47 sterling per month, in Ireland it 81 Euro. £47 sterling is only 54.73 Euro, so what's the difference?
    You pay extra for the Irish channels for a start, the monthly Skymag, and then there's a fee Sky have to pay here for the phoneline usage.

hellboy99 wrote: »
    You pay extra for the Irish channels for a start, the monthly Skymag, and then there's a fee Sky have to pay here for the phoneline usage.

I seem to remember reading on Boards a long time ago that if you tell them you don't want the mag, you still pay the same sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

the cost of labour etc is more expensive, so I looked at the sky UK website. A Sky World package in the UK is £47 sterling per month, in Ireland it 81 Euro. £47 sterling is only 54.73 Euro, so what's the difference? Surely it's not more expensive to send up a satellite signal for me than someone in Newcastle for example?

They do not simply set up a satellite and be done with it, labour and overheads are included all the way along, a call centre might cost more here, and I expect they have far more subscribers in the UK than here. Also they will charge in line with local competition. They probably use local contractors, they might well work for less in the UK, where populations can be more concentrated, so they can pay less for a third party installer for a single job.

In Ireland you do not get these savings, they spread it all over, i.e. a call out to a remote part of ballygobackwards will be charged the same as a dublin call next door to the installer, even though it could cost sky a fortune.

I am sure if you look to other countries the price difference could be even more. You can probably get a plumber to install a hotels piping in China for the price of a callout here!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

while I agree with the points about callout charges etc.
    How they can justify £14.95 in UK (€17.18 current exchange) or €21.95 for the fight on saturday night is beyond me.

Tippex wrote: »
    while I agree with the points about callout charges etc.
    How they can justify £14.95 in UK (€17.18 current exchange) or €21.95 for the fight on saturday night is beyond me.

More competition in the UK and they're a bunch of feckin' robbers anyway. I'd never pay for their Box Office, or any other extra. Sky is coining it everywhere they operate and they couldn't give a hoot what anybody thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I seem to remember reading on Boards a long time ago that if you tell them you don't want the mag, you still pay the same sub.
    Thats correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It's caused by lack of competition in the Irish market relative to the UK.

Sky will charge what they can get away with.

Ireland's cable operators until recently have been pretty pathetic and not really in the same league as sky digital. UPC have recently improved things with new product launches and way more channels in cable areas.

We've no digital terrestrial due on air until sometime in 2009 and a few other providers like SCTV and the IPTV operators like magnet and smart who only represent a tiny niche of the market.

If UPC start to really compete hard with Sky on price and technology you'll see the prices start to drop.

rubadub wrote: »
    i.e. a call out to a remote part of ballygobackwards will be charged the same as a dublin call next door to the installer, even though it could cost sky a fortune.

I had to read this one twice!!! Exactly where is Ballygobackwards???

Was this really posted by someone passing themselves off as a moderator? Perhaps we should start a thread on Boards.ie.............

I had to read this one twice!!! Exactly where is Ballygobackwards???

Was this really posted by someone passing themselves off as a moderator? Perhaps we should start a thread on Boards.ie.............

I think it's somewhere up sh1t-creek. There's a well known second-hand paddle shop there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Sky is a rip-off. The make a bomb over here. They will continue to do so until UPC offer a cheaper alternative.

Sky is a rip-off. The make a bomb over here. They will continue to do so until UPS offer a cheaper alternative.

That for delivery of the Sky box or something :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭bored and tired

if you live with someone you can always cancell the package under the current name, reregister with the other persons name and then claim the 3 months half price package that they advertise sometimes, definately worth the 50 installation fee if you are paying for the full works (and an extra 12months warranty).

Also my neighbours who are oaps were ripped off by an installer, they said they didnt want a wire running accross the floor incase they tripped and fell. so they were charged double for the instalation for not connecting the box to the phone line, i was furious when i found out, as once it is installed they could have just picked up the wire and never used it again, and the installer although doing his job, could have explained this to them considering that they are on a pension, to save them the extra fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

More competition in the UK

Generally speaking, yes, but in the case of the fight (exclusive to Sky) there's no competition anywhere, so there is no excuse for tacking on an extra 25% to Irish subscribers, except that we're willing to pay it. Anyone unhappy about this extra charge needs to firstly, not pay for it, and secondly, tell Sky why you're not willing to pay. Otherwise, nothing will change.

jor el wrote: »
    Generally speaking, yes, but in the case of the fight (exclusive to Sky) there's no competition anywhere, so there is no excuse for tacking on an extra 25% to Irish subscribers, except that we're willing to pay it. Anyone unhappy about this extra charge needs to firstly, not pay for it, and secondly, tell Sky why you're not willing to pay. Otherwise, nothing will change.

They probably think that boxing is so popular here that people will pay up whatever they charge. I'm glad that I was never interested, or I'd be bankrupt by now. The Murdoch Mob never let public opinion get in the way of a quick buck.

I feel sorry for any sports enthusiast having to pay them to watch anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

if you live with someone you can always cancell the package under the current name, reregister with the other persons name and then claim the 3 months half price package that they advertise sometimes, definately worth the 50 installation fee if you are paying for the full works (and an extra 12months warranty).

Also my neighbours who are oaps were ripped off by an installer, they said they didnt want a wire running accross the floor incase they tripped and fell. so they were charged double for the instalation for not connecting the box to the phone line, i was furious when i found out, as once it is installed they could have just picked up the wire and never used it again, and the installer although doing his job, could have explained this to them considering that they are on a pension, to save them the extra fee.

When i got sky in my first house there was no phone line in it, so they wanted to charged me a fee for having no phone to connect it too, it was something like €20 (i didn't have to pay after i just threaten to cancel the whole deal), is that what they were charged?
    Cant remember why there even was a fee, it was just stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Sky is a rip-off. The make a bomb over here. They will continue to do so until UPC offer a cheaper alternative.
    To all: SEE EDIT
    That for delivery of the Sky box or something :p
    Smart ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

What do you work at?

Lets say team leader in social care. - Its the one position I could find rates for in UK & Ireland.

Your salary here in Ireland is circa €50,000 and you see circa €40,000 of this after tax.

In the UK a similar job pays circa £35,000 and you see approx £28,000 after tax, then you also need to pay council tax (average £2000) from your after tax income + water charges. (average £350)

Are you prepared to take a reduction of 20% in your salary because the same job in another country with a different tax system & different cost base pays at todays rate of exchange €39,500??

Didn't think so!

darc wrote: »
    What do you work at?

Lets say team leader in social care. - Its the one position I could find rates for in UK & Ireland.

Your salary here in Ireland is circa €50,000 and you see circa €40,000 of this after tax.

In the UK a similar job pays circa £35,000 and you see approx £28,000 after tax, then you also need to pay council tax (average £2000) from your after tax income + water charges. (average £350)

Are you prepared to take a reduction of 20% in your salary because the same job in another country with a different tax system & different cost base pays at todays rate of exchange €39,500??

Didn't think so!

Thanks for that Darc!

You make some very interesting points. I have to admit that I never knew that the subscription costs were index linked. I always thought that they were supposed to be based on the cost of providing the service (i.e. a satellite signal!)

As I'm not earning at the moment do you think that I should give them a call and they might reduce what I pay at the moment? This might also be a revelation for people in Ireland on minimum wage, should they be paying less than say for example company directors on 100k plus per year? I never realised Sky were so understanding, and here we were labelling them as a robbing bunch of so and so's!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

...up until the end I could have sworn you were Brian Cowen. There I was thinking we were rubbing e-shoulders with greatness!

Advertisement