Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky TV - Sterling Exchange Rate

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

darc wrote: »
    €39,500??

Didn't think so!
    Is that before tax or after tax?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Frowzy wrote: »
    Thanks for that Darc!

You make some very interesting points. I have to admit that I never knew that the subscription costs were index linked. I always thought that they were supposed to be based on the cost of providing the service (i.e. a satellite signal!)

As I'm not earning at the moment do you think that I should give them a call and they might reduce what I pay at the moment? This might also be a revelation for people in Ireland on minimum wage, should they be paying less than say for example company directors on 100k plus per year? I never realised Sky were so understanding, and here we were labelling them as a robbing bunch of so and so's!

apologies if you got my message wrong, but I was referring to the engineers call out charge in your OP rather than the subscription charge.

The subscription charges should be lowered as Sky transfers most of its income into sterling and pays most of its bills in sterling, howver call out charges & work done by people in Ireland on behalf of sky can't be charged in at sterling exchange rates as the person doing the work lives in ireland and needs to be paid at the appropriate rate.

Imagine how popular sky would become if they did drop their subscription rates to a similar level of the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Frowzy

darc wrote: »
    I was referring to the engineers call out charge in your OP rather than the subscription charge.
    Frowzy wrote: »
    Ya, I thought the same thing ejmaztec. But I called the local sky engineer and he'll do a call out direct for 35 euro, so guess where my money's going?

Thanks for that though!

Darc, As per previous post I called the local engineer, the one Sky send out when you book an Engineers call with them. He's charging me €35 for a direct call out, he tells me that he only gets €35 from Sky when he does a call out for them anyway. Obviously if there's more work to do, eg change a box or whatever he gets reimbursed for that, but the call out fee itself is €35. So where does the other €65 go? Into Sky's back pocket. €65 to book an engineer for me? I don't think so. If by the way anyone wants me to book an engineer for them PM me!!! :)

Advertisement