Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working Holiday VISA?

Options
  • 08-12-2008 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭

Hi I’ve got some questions regarding working holiday visa’s for Australia and peoples experiences with getting them and other Australian visas.

My first question is how long dose it take to get a working holiday visa once you apply?

My second question is do employers see the fact you are on a working holiday visa as a very bad thing?

My third question is as I have two degrees (one is a BSc in Architecture and the other a BA in 3D design) and have 4 years work experience (as an architectural technician), am I better off applying for a different type of working visa?

Can you apply for two different types of visa at the same time? (If I don’t get the full one still have the WHV as backup)?

To explain my situation I have recently been made redundant from a property development company in London and am moving home to Ireland on the 21st Dec. I have saved up some money and decided that this would be a good time to go travelling. I plan to spend some time in South East Asia and then go to Australia where the idea is that I would like to find a job save as much as I can and then move on through South and North America then home to Ireland / London where hopefully the job market in my area will have picked up again. I hope to fly out of Ireland on the first leg of my journey mid to late Jan (don’t know if this is enough time to sort visa). The thing is life doesn’t always go to plan and I know that I might realy like Australia or have some circumstances crock up that would mean I would want to stay in a job longer then 6 months.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Doc wrote: »
    Hi I’ve got some questions regarding working holiday visa’s for Australia and peoples experiences with getting them and other Australian visas.
    My first question is how long dose it take to get a working holiday visa once you apply?

About 48 hours. But if there are any problems with your application it will take longer. If you are 100% sure you are going apply now.
    My second question is do employers see the fact you are on a working holiday visa as a very bad thing?

Some do, some don't. Some of them won't look at you because of it, some of them will need convincing that you are not going to disappear one day without telling anyone or giving them notice. Mention in your cover letter that you are definitely staying in the area for X amount of time. Stress the point again in an interview. Some of them won't care.
    My third question is as I have two degrees (one is a BSc in Architecture and the other a BA in 3D design) and have 4 years work experience (as an architectural technician), am I better off applying for a different type of working visa?

I have no idea. However I believe most other visas take much longer to process. With your time scale of leaving in Jan I doubt another visa application would make it through in time.
    Can you apply for two different types of visa at the same time? (If I don’t get the full one still have the WHV as backup)?

I think your best bet is to get the WHV visa and then get to Oz. If you find a job, city etc you like then look into other types of visas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

am currently applying for a working holiday visa, and the time i've been given is 10working days. admittedly, i havent done it online, so that could be the difference there. \\

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Alan murphy is spot on - 48hrs and indeed the best visa is the WHV as the skilled visa can take up to 12 months for receive, and a sponsorship visa means you actually have to get someone to sponsor you from Ireland which is hard.

Most companies don't mind the WHV, and you if you get a decent job and are a hard worker most companies are willing to sponsor you (esp if you offer to pay for the visa)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Yep your best bet is to get the WHV and get to Aus. Get sorted with a job and after a few months they will hopefully be in a position to sponsor you. A 457 Visa (the sponsorship visa) is fairly straightforward to apply for and will last you up to 4 years.

Good luck!

Advertisement