Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Travelling/Technology Questions...

• 08-12-2008 11:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Travelling on my own for around 6 months - contemplating buying a portable DVD player - anyone think this is a good idea? What is the battery like on these? Would i be wise to buy one or are they just nuisance?

Secondly and this is stupid question, but is their some sort of device/memory stick type thingy i can store photos on from my digital camera?? Like if my camera is robbed i want a device whereby my photos can be stored if you follow? Therefore even if my camera is robbed it will be fine as photos will be on some device back in my room. Does this make sense??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭buccsboyo

Hey on making sure you keep your pictures safe id say get yourself an account on a site like Flickr and Picassa and just do a fresh upload of photos every week. they will be safest here just in case you lost the memory stick as well.:D
    I had a number of chances to buy a really cheap PSP on a recent trip but I decided against it as I think its better to spend your times in hostels/long bus journeys chatting to travellers/locals.
    Dats just my opinion but you could easily pick up a cheap player for 50 quid in most countries on the way anyway if people were wrecking your head :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Uploading your photo's onto the internet is probably the safest idea as you could always get your backup stolen aswell. Make sure though that you upload to somewhere that keeps them at a high enough quality to use later down the line.

I was going to buy myslf a cheap portable DVD player while I was travelling but decided against it. If you're not anyway bothered about losing it or getting it stolen then there's no harm in having one but really there isn't that much need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

I think a portable DVD player would be a good idea if it's small/light enough. Travelling inevitably involves lots of waiting around and hours spent on buses and trains.

I brought a small external hard drive with me. It only cost 50 euro and is very compact and light. On top of that, I've been getting CDs burned every so often. I guess uploading to the internet would work but I'd imagine it would be extremely time consuming. I took about 2gb worth of photos in Nepal alone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Highly recommend some form of entertainment - PSP / DVD / iPod with movies ... etc

As entertaining as chatting and interacting with locals can be there is a 99.9% chance you will be bored sh1tless at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Buy a netbook like one of the Cheaper Asus EEEPC ones if your budget will allow. Can pick up a nice one for 300euro. Very handy for skype, uploading photos, watching videos etc. Very compact and durable as well (SSD Hard Drive options) and have found mine very handy for travelling so far.

Can also charge the iPod off it when needed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement