Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

few newbie questions

Options
  • 08-12-2008 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭

hello first time posting here. find it all very interesting.

i have a few questions for you.

1. what is the best weather forecasting website?
    i have seen a few now, even compared some to out own forecasting site www.met.ie (which varies widly) i find windguru to be quite good.

2. what has happened to the weather in the last 2 years? is it a climate change? we dont seem to have had a decent summer in nearly 3 years and last winter from what i can remeber was rather mild.

i know this year has been colder but are we going to get a proper winter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Welcome to these parts matron.

1. what is the best weather forecasting website?

Define best. Most accurate, most fun. Define accurate & fun. What are your needs.
    I'm sure we can give you a long list of sites but remember that they all work off (pretty much) the same charts as the met do, just taking their own opinion of them, thats all.

2. what has happened to the weather....
    It is nearer to the norm that your memory would have you believe. Other than that there are lots of theories, little fact. (Al nina for example).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

i work outside so i need a rough idea if rain is due or not. something like windguru which can give you a report for a 4 hour gap is good i thought but i know there is probably way better ones.

why if our met service has all the charts do they not produce a better site?

well i felt last winter was quite mild but it was windy. this year i think is much colder .

i find the atlantic charts offer a good idea ( for a newbie like me, which can read .... the darker the colour the more rain!!)

but i would be interested in seeing some raw data and seeing where "forecasts" come from

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Where are you located (work) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

I run my own forecast on my site here This is mainly for around my area (coastal) as Dublin can vary in weather conditions type, temp and rainfall etc. It takes data from my station and incorporates it into the GFS model run (updated 4 times daily)and forecasts for 4 days out for my area.

It will give you a basic idea in text form what conditions to expect using the above in mind and forecast based on the model run that was outputted. This changes from run to run and so does a forecast. It will also show the atmospherics in a graphic below(from the link) on which a forecast is based on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement