Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Designated Driver get soft drink free

Options
  • 08-12-2008 11:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭

How does this work? Do you register?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Don't know, but listen to the ad.

Struck me how the emphasis on the "round" system was inserted.

Publicans love the round system and will do almost anything to perpetuate that .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Yep, you need to go to your local Garda station and fill out form SOR2001 and ask to be put on the register.

They'll understand ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

They're starting this in Ireland ?

I was in the States early this year and they done this, although it was not advertised or anything. It would probably be abused here to get free drinks mixers.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

So you can go up to the bar, ask for a Coke, then top it up with your nagen under the table? Sweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

they have had this for here in Ireland for a few years and it was run by coca cola. When ordering a round you just say that the soft drink is for the designated driver and the bar staff won't charge you for it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

KTRIC wrote: »
    Yep, you need to go to your local Garda station and fill out form SOR2001 and ask to be put on the register.

They'll understand ;)
    Post of the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Struck me how the emphasis on the "round" system was inserted.

Publicans love the round system and will do almost anything to perpetuate that .
    Rounds should have been banned rather than closing offies at 10. I know which leads to more alcohol abuse.
    They're starting this in Ireland ?
    Been going a few years now.

If coke or the gov were really serious about promoting stuff like this they should have flashed prices on bottles supplied to pubs, legally forcing them to charge a reasonable price. 2L coke in tesco €2, 2L in my local €28.

Not sure if it is a legal requirment, my mate worked in a shop and said flashed prices must be charged at that price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭rod flanders

Not all pubs take part in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Ugh, sober people on nights out. Great craic.

They can't be trusted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The soft drinks in question will be some vintage TK that they 'found out the back'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Wasn't drinking, so asked the barman if they do the designated driver thing, and he said it's only if you order something like 6 drinks together!

Me bollix I was gettin a round
    stovelid wrote: »
    The soft drinks in question will be some vintage TK that they 'found out the back'.

I'd pay double for that. Takes me back to the childhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭notnem

A year ago in County Kerry I was driving and they wouldn't take any payment for my coffee or soft drink even if I went up to get one out of a round. It was a rural pub and they understood they needed to look after designated drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭finno

In my local a pint of beer 5 euro and a pint of coke 5.20.

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Y.N.W.A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

3 or 4 pints constitutes a round in mine and so you can get the free soft drink then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Do you have to be a full licenced driver?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

I remember when this started a few years ago. In the bar I worked in then, most of the people availing of it turned out to be just using it as a mixer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭360ts

I work in a rural pub full time and we do look after our regulars if there is a driver with them. As for the free drink thing, you have to buy a certain amount of coke from your supplier before you get any discount from Coca Cola. I'm talking about pallets, not crates! So for a small pub it doesn't make sense to take part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

JP Liz wrote: »
    Do you have to be a full licenced driver?

Actually I was thinking along those lines too. Does the qualified driver - required to accompany the provisional driver - need to be sober?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Buy a small bottle of vodka and put in your pocket. Cheap night out with free soft drinks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

stovelid wrote: »
    Actually I was thinking along those lines too. Does the qualified driver - required to accompany the provisional driver - need to be sober?

By the letter of law, yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dave! wrote: »
    Wasn't drinking, so asked the barman if they do the designated driver thing, and he said it's only if you order something like 6 drinks together!
    360ts wrote: »
    have to buy a certain amount of coke from your supplier before you get any discount from Coca Cola. I'm talking about pallets, not crates! So for a small pub it doesn't make sense to take part.
    Nothing to stop the small pub just buying a 2L of coke in tesco. Most rugby & GAA bars I have been in do this for kids, either free or very small nominal charge. 6 drinks is crazy, really encouraging the round culture. "you can stay sober as long as your mates get flaming drunk". 200ml of coke would be 15-20cent from a supermarket 2L, and you get this amazing offer with just 6 drinks, costing €30+, thats a fantastic deal :rolleyes: get "0.5% off when you €30 or more". All it does is serve to highlight the outrageous prices they do charge and how it apparently is a good offer.
    finno wrote: »
    In my local a pint of beer 5 euro and a pint of coke 5.20.
    A pint is 568ml, a bottle of coke is 200ml, some other mixers are only 120ml I think, many 150ml. So it really takes 3 cokes to fill a pint. €8.40 for a pint in my local, it is cheaper to spend the night snorting coke than drinking it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Fizman wrote: »
    Ugh, sober people on nights out. Great craic.

They can't be trusted!

:rolleyes:

They can be trusted more to get the drunks home in one piece at least.
    You will (or should) be grateful for that in the morning after you sober up!
    "At least I'm home in one piece!"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Smart Bug wrote: »
    By the letter of law, yes.

Not mentioned in the rules of the road.

The bar I used to work in is getting cases of free splits from CnC to do this and are just selling them as-is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Not mentioned in the rules of the road.

It was brought in with all those new laws regarding provisional drivers a few months back I think

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

here's the website:

http://www.designateddriver.ie/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Saturday Morning, 2:00 am

Early Saturday morning a policeman waited across the street from a popular bar, hoping for a nail a drunken driver, possibly preventing a tragic accident.

At closing time the patrons came out and the officer spotted his potential quarry. One man was so obviously inebriated that he could barely walk. He stumbled around the parking lot for a few minutes, looking for his car.

After trying his keys on five other cars, he finally found his own vehicle. He sat in the car a good ten minutes, as the other patrons left. He turned his lights on, then off, wipers on, then off. He started to pull forward into the grass, then stopped.

Finally, when he was the last car, he pulled out onto the road and started to drive away.

The patrolman, waiting for this, turned on his lights and pulled the man over. He administered the breathalyzer test, and to his great surprise, the man blew a 0.00.

The patrolman was dumbfounded. "This equipment must be broken!" he exclaimed.

"I doubt it," said the man, "Tonight I am the designated decoy!"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

loyatemu wrote: »

And surprize, surprize, out of ten pubs near me only two do this.

Joke, glad the pubs are struggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Heard it before but it never gets old..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Barman, can I get 3 vodkas's, 2 barcardi's and a captain morgan... all neat please, oh & a pint of coke for designated dave!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,400 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I friend of mine came out of the pub once, staggered blindly across to the car and got in. Lights on, lights off. Indicators on, indicators off. He was theer a good twenty minutes trying to compose himself and it got to the point that the pub emptied while he was trying to start the car. He was actually the last one out and, needless to say, got pulled over.

"Blow into this sir [while I get me handcuffs out]" says the guard.
    He does.
    It's clean.
    Confused guard redoes test, same reuslt.
    "Have you been drinking sir?" he asked.
    "No, I haven't," said the mate.

"I'm the designated decoy...."

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Advertisement