Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using my N95 (02) as a modem for my laptop

• 08-12-2008 11:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭

I have an N95 (4gb verion), on an O2 Clear plan (bill pay) with €7.50 data add-on (Mobile Internet 250MB Add On).

I would like to use my phone as a modem, and if I remember correctly, O2 structure their data packages in such as way as to prevent users using their phone as a modem, i.e. the phone’s browser works fine, but the connection cannot be passed through to a laptop.

Is this correct?

I was searching around here and read about Joikuspot and Walkinghotspot.

! was wondering if Joiku or Walking Hotspot or similar app allow me to use my current data package to provide my laptop with mobile broadband
    Or do I just need to change my data package with O2?

Any experience from users on here would be very helpful.

Thanks,

G

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Genghis wrote: »
    I have an N95 (4gb verion), on an O2 Clear plan (bill pay) with €7.50 data add-on (Mobile Internet 250MB Add On).

I would like to use my phone as a modem, and if I remember correctly, O2 structure their data packages in such as way as to prevent users using their phone as a modem, i.e. the phone’s browser works fine, but the connection cannot be passed through to a laptop.

Is this correct?

I was searching around here and read about Joikuspot and Walkinghotspot.

! was wondering if Joiku or Walking Hotspot or similar app allow me to use my current data package to provide my laptop with mobile broadband
    Or do I just need to change my data package with O2?

Any experience from users on here would be very helpful.

Thanks,

G

Apologies: can't believe none of the bill pay scoundrels here replied to your query hahaha :)

Anyway, my missus has a prepay o2 e71 and using joiku she uses it as a modem for a laptop and her ipod touch... No probs.
    So I reckon you should be okay. But I don't know what access point you have to use as a billpayer for your add-on.
    Maybe some lazy member here can tell you? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Genghis

Thanks Strecker - sounds like it might work. Anyone that can help with the access point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Genghis wrote: »
    Thanks Strecker - sounds like it might work. Anyone that can help with the access point?

open.internet or internet

No reason why it shouldn't work as a hotspot or as a bluetooth modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Genghis

Just to close this off. Joikuspot works like a dream. Am using a €7.50 add-on and have super-fast internet via my mobile, even travelling at 100kph. Will probably upgrade to JoikuSpot premium to remove the landing page (slight nuaisance that delays getting your first page loaded), and to add encryption. Thanks for all the help everyone.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Currently using Joiku in the aiport and working away fine, except I cannot seem to access Gmail or and Outlook web access page. Is this due to it only being the free version and I need t pay to get https access?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i think so. If your laptop has bluetooth or you have a mini usb cable you could just connect your phone that way and use the nokia pc suite instead of joikuspot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

robinph wrote: »
    Currently using Joiku in the aiport and working away fine, except I cannot seem to access Gmail or and Outlook web access page. Is this due to it only being the free version and I need t pay to get https access?

Afraid joiku lite doesn't support email, youtube and some other things. For that, you gotta buy the premium version. Use pc suite, as sam vimes said ;)

Advertisement