Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Modem Question

Options
  • 08-12-2008 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

Not sure if this is the correct place for this question so mods feel free to move it.

I recently bought a laptop with a 3 USB Modem from laptopsdirect.
    To set up the modem I need to register it with 3. However is anyone aware if the modem is specific to the country your in. Because laptopsdirect is a UK company do I have a UK modem and if so do I need a specific Irish one.

I emailed laptopsdirect and they didnt know the answer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

I think the only thing that matters I think is the APN (Access Point Name). The APN for 3 in the UK is three.co.uk whereas in Ireland it would be 3ireland.ie.

The hardware would be exactly the same and your SIM card will provide identification for their Irish network. So you would prolly just need to change the APN. Try it and see!

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭TheWaterboy

Thanks for that advice Fear,

Excuse my ignorance but where or how do i change the Access Point Name. Ive never used one of these 3G cards before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Thanks for that advice Fear,

Excuse my ignorance but where or how do i change the Access Point Name. Ive never used one of these 3G cards before.

Have you tried connecting it as it is? If it doesn't work, you should look in the connection settings and where you see three.co.uk, change it to 3ireland.ie.

Also, be careful that you don't get hit with very high roaming charges, it's a possibilty that you will have a UK sim in the modem, and it will see you as a UK resident abroad in Ireland (very high rates). I think you will prolly have to get a new Irish sim card for uit. Easy to change it, just open the slit in the modem.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Moved from Comp and Tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Have you tried connecting it as it is? If it doesn't work, you should look in the connection settings and where you see three.co.uk, change it to 3ireland.ie.

Also, be careful that you don't get hit with very high roaming charges, it's a possibilty that you will have a UK sim in the modem, and it will see you as a UK resident abroad in Ireland (very high rates). I think you will prolly have to get a new Irish sim card for uit. Easy to change it, just open the slit in the modem.

Even if its a 3uk modem and sim you will not incur any roaming charges when used on 3irl as there are no roaming charges between 3 networks. If it is a 3uk modem it may be locked to that network and not accept an irish sim..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Can you not just ask 3? or check in the carphone warehouse?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

if you bought it from the uk it's most likely a uk modem. If so it will almost certainly not take an irish 3 sim. It might be unlocked but i'd be 99% sure it's not. I think you should be able to use a uk modem in ireland at no extra cost but you won't be able to buy credit for it here (i'm assuming prepay).

Tbh i think the best thing to do is see if laptops direct will take it back

Advertisement