Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Very Strange Problems (During Gameplay) with Component 720p Picture, Please Advise!!!

• 08-12-2008 12:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I bought an XBox 360 last week, its not got HDMI output but rather is one of the slightly older Component ones.

To begin with I set it up using SD composite into my Samsung PS42Q96 Plasma, it worked fine.

I downloaded a demo (Super Street Fighter 2 HD) which said it would not play at 50Hz.

I then connected up to my TV using component and switched to HD output on the XBox 720p.

Obviously the picture quality is much better but there is a strange problem with all games (except SSFII).

The Xbox dashboard menus all look perfect as do all the splash menus for the games but soon as I start playing a game there are serious picture problems.

Lots of black lines appear, they seem to be based around the polygons that are on screen, i.e. they are not completely random, but more like big black shadows.

As I say this problem only happens during gameplay, I watched movies etc with no problems and perfect picture quality.

Weirdly the problem does not occur with Super Street Fighter, perhaps this is because this game is 2d and the problems seem to occur in rendering 3d environments. The problem also occurs with my avatar in the dashboard, ie the same lines appear. It’s 3d and moving, I suspect again this is the problem.

The problem only exists using Component, when I switch back to composite it goes away. Nonetheless I want to stick with the HD output, I just want to solve the problem.

I'm not sure what the problem is, might it be related to the screen being at the wrong HZ setting for my TV.

I don't see an option to change this. When I select 720p or 1080i it just asks if I can see it ok, and when I select yes, if I can see it at 50hz (the problems remain whether I select yes or no).

Any ideas on how to solve this would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks,
    Robert

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

did you buy it second hand by any chance. Sound like what happened to my repaired RROD 360. That was right before the GPU fell off the motherboard.

Try getting another component lead, could be faulty. Or get the VGA lead for the 360. I'm guessing your TV has a DVI or VGA input.

Or if it is second hand, you've probably a RRod repair or a 360 thats just about to die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I had a similar colour issue before and it was my cable in the end, try getting a lend of a mates component cable to try see is that it......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭blobert

Thanks, have ordered a VGA lead from Dealextreme, will try that when it arrives.

Will try on other TV later, should be able to work out if the cable is at fault.

It's a new XBox, though manufactured about a year ago.

I've only had it for a week and a half.

Had it flashed so don't want to bring it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭blobert

Tried it on another TV and had the exact same problem.

Problem is now occurring on Composite as well as Component, and is worse the more complex the graphics on screen.

I posted on AvForums as well and they suggested:

"If your only seeing these problems when the console tries to render 3D images i would have to say it sounds like a problem with the GPU. I would hook the 360 up to another HDTV (if possible) and see what happens, then if your still seeing problems on a different TV try another cable and if the problem persists its more than likely the GPU."

As I said it is fine for HD video and other stuff so suspect it is a problem with the GPU as opposed to the cable.

Don't know anyone with a spare cable to try that but I'm thinking it's unlikely to be a cable issue.

Any further advice would be much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

blobert wrote: »

Had it flashed so don't want to bring it back.

its not beyond the realms of possiblity that something was semi unseated or partly disconnected when it was opened to be flashed

i did something similar on my wii causing it to display colours in a pretty odd manner (reds were green), in the end it was just a loosely connected ribbon cable in the wii from when id opened it

• Advertisement

Helix wrote: »
    its not beyond the realms of possiblity that something was semi unseated or partly disconnected when it was opened to be flashed

i did something similar on my wii causing it to display colours in a pretty odd manner (reds were green), in the end it was just a loosely connected ribbon cable in the wii from when id opened it

I'd say your on the ball there bud. Sounds like who ever flashed it was a bit heavy handed, or didn't put it back together correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

blobert wrote: »
    Had it flashed.

This would be your problem so.

If you can afford money for a 42 inch plasma, surely you can afford a few games?

get a 42inch Plasma in Tesco for about 500 euro!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

ROC1977 wrote: »
    get a 42inch Plasma in Tesco for about 500 euro!

500 euro would buy you a fair amount of games.

To be fair, if you flash your console, then you deserve the banning you will get from Xbox Live, or the possibility of a screwed up picture when it all goes horribly wrong.

Advertisement