Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

"Operation no-flow"

Options
  • 08-12-2008 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

I just want to get some views on what other people think of "operation free flow" Personally I think its a joke. Traffic is as bad as ever, I think I've seen maybe two gards on point duty who were actually directing traffic. The rest just stand there talking, while traffic tails back from junctions in all directions.

You'd think they would at least police the yellow boxes at junctions, but ignorant drivers are still blocking these in plain view of the gards.

I know that some gards may argue that the traffic lights are doing an adequate job and there is no need for them to intervene but this is most certainly not the case at many of the junctions I have been driving through the past few days.

All in all while I'm sitting stuck in traffic at these junctions, I'm wondering if other motorists have the same question on their minds as I have: IS THIS WHAT MY TAXES ARE PAYING FOR? (I.e. a Garda social club at every junction)

</rant>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, there have been two young female Gardai at the junction of Mount Merrion Way and the Rock Road the last few times I've been down there who seem more intent on having a good chin wag with each other than actually doing anything. They're not even looking at the traffic at all 90% of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭afatbollix

they shouldent really be doing point duty tho... it ****s up the traffic light system... and it just makes it worse.... they are there to catch people in bus lanes and yellow box juctions so buses / luases can get into town quicker.. to get you out of your car...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,312 ✭✭✭markpb

As far as I know, the recruits are given a bus ticket to Dublin, assigned a junction and told to stand on it. They're not given any direction or any idea what their job is. A few of the more progressive members used to direct traffic but the traffic control centre staff apparently said they were making things worse and asked them to stop.

If they enforced yellow boxes and amber lights, they'd be slightly less useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

Freeflow is designed to help Public Transport, rather than private cars.

http://www.freeflow.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

It states they encourage the use of public transport. doesn't state its purely for public transport.

If the public transport service wasn't so limited then I would use it.

To quash any arguments about this, point and case, what public transport services are available from Booterstown(where i live) to Ballymount (where I work)?

answer zero. The nearest public transport leaves me with a couple of miles I would have to walk and require several buses to get there. meaning that It would take to long and is not viable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

as pointed out, freeflow is for public transport. The Garda presence ensures less bus lane offenders etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

faceman wrote: »
    as pointed out, freeflow is for public transport. The Garda presence ensures less bus lane offenders etc.
    As I mentioned in my previous post, it states on the site that it encourages the use of public transport, it doesn't say it is purely for public transport.

Advertisement