Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows XP Home

• 08-12-2008 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

I want to buy a laptop for myself for christmas but want to get XP Home. Does anyone know where I can get one with XP Home apart from Dell?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Diver79

You should be able to request a downgrade cd from any retailer. Vista can be downgraded to XP once it hs not been activated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Diver79 wrote: »
    You should be able to request a downgrade cd from any retailer. Vista can be downgraded to XP once it hs not been activated.

Only Vista business and ultimate can be downgraded to XP Pro and all pre-installed OEM versions of Vista are activated by the manufacturer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Burklert

And unless my mind has gone to mush and i was dreaming. Dell has increased the xp price by 150 yoyo's sometime recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭LillyVanilli

So if I was to get Vista Ultimate or Business and get a downgrade cd to Xp Pro, I would be able to "upgrade" to my original Vista in the future? So I get two licences for the one laptop? Thanks

Ruby2Shoes wrote: »
    So if I was to get Vista Ultimate or Business and get a downgrade cd to Xp Pro, I would be able to "upgrade" to my original Vista in the future? So I get two licences for the one laptop? Thanks

Correct. All you need is an XP Pro OEM cd and you use the Vista licence key to install. It will most likely fail to activate online so you'll need to activate manually over the phone. You can re-install Vista at any time in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

You are not gaurenteed any driver support on laptops when you change the OS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,961 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You are not gaurenteed any driver support on laptops when you change the OS.
    correct. new models often dont have any drivers written for use in XP.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

No you only get ONE license, you can choose XP or Vista. The license does NOT allow you to dual boot between XP and Vista. The Vista license is only allowed to be installed on one partition

But yes if you get a downgradable license you can upgrade later on

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭LillyVanilli

I would assume if the retailer sold me a downgrade cd from Vista to Xp that they would have drivers available for Xp on that hardware, surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,961 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I would assume if the retailer sold me a downgrade cd from Vista to Xp that they would have drivers available for Xp on that hardware, surely?
    if they sold it to you, yes. id still bother to ask though, or check that model's support page and see if you can find the xp drivers yourself before you purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Overheal wrote: »
    if they sold it to you, yes. id still bother to ask though, or check that model's support page and see if you can find the xp drivers yourself before you purchase.
    sony would be one of the worst offenders.

go on the the laptop's site and see what's listed , don't believe the sales person they don't have to support it

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Correct. All you need is an XP Pro OEM cd and you use the Vista licence key to install. It will most likely fail to activate online so you'll need to activate manually over the phone. You can re-install Vista at any time in the future.

Does this really work? I didn't think a Vista product key would work for installing XP.

Karsini wrote: »
    Does this really work? I didn't think a Vista product key would work for installing XP.

It works for Business and Ultimate only. Both come with downgrade rights in the licence.
    Can I downgrade my OEM version of Windows Vista Business to Windows XP Professional?
    Yes. OEM downgrade rights for desktop PC operating systems apply to Windows Vista Business and Windows Vista Ultimate as stated in the License Terms. Please note, OEM downgrade versions of Windows Vista Business and Windows Vista Ultimate are limited to Windows XP Professional (including Windows XP Tablet PC Edition and Windows XP x64 Edition). End users can use the following media for their downgrade: Volume Licensing media (provided the end user has a Volume Licensing agreement), retail (FPP), or system builder hologram CD (provided the software is acquired in accordance with the Microsoft OEM System Builder License). Use of the downgraded operating system is governed by the Windows Vista Business License Terms, and the end user cannot use both the downgrade operating system and Windows Vista Business. There are no downgrade rights granted for Windows Vista Home Basic or Windows Vista Home Premium.

I tried to test this earlier by using an XP Pro SP3 OEM CD and a Vista Ultimate OEM key. The key was declined by the XP setup. I then tried a volume licence XP CD and that didn't accept it either. So I did a little research.

To sum it up it seems you need to use an existing key to install XP but when it comes to activation you need to activate by phone and explain that you are exercising your downgrade rights. The MS rep should ask for your Vista key for validation, ask you the type of XP media you used (volume licence, OEM or FPP retail) then issue you a new key for XP.

Advertisement