Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refused premission for a Moderator today.

Options
  • 08-12-2008 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭

I have just opened a letter from my Super in which he has refused me permission for moderators for my guns on the grounds of "Public Safety".

But he has invited me to decuss this mater with him if I wish too, I must make an appointment to see him during the next 10 days.

So here I go on the long path to nowhere. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Sorry to hear that clive. Are you going to go and see him?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

What caliber is your rifle?

Just going from your previous posts, you basically applied for permission on the moderator on the grounds of public safety! Its a bit of a paradox really!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

clivej wrote: »
    I have just opened a letter from my Super in which he has refused me permission for moderators for my guns on the grounds of "Public Safety".

But he has invited me to decuss this mater with him if I wish too, I must make an appointment to see him during the next 10 days.

So here I go on the long path to nowhere. :(

Definitely go and meet him Clive. He is obviously an approachable guy if he is offering you the chance to meet.

Be courteous, well dressed and be prepared.

Very civilly ask him to express his concerns

Funny how he'll grant you a license for a .223 but a tube of metal with some baffles is some form of threat to public safety. That baffles me :P

So by means of this post we could come up with sound reasons for you to put forth. He already said H&S is out so we will mention it at the end briefly

1. You lamp at night, late in the night. A moderator will prevent you from unduly causing trouble in the countryside. A gunshot can be approx 140dB which is louder than a concert or a jet engine.

2. Spooking livestock. Using a moderator reduces the risk of scaring livestock. (as I have said previously one sheep farmer I shoot for also has horses and they are easily spooked, unfortunately they are kept 2 fields over from the home of quite a number of foxes)

That's 2 off the top of my head, I will be back with more but got to do some work now

Veg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Sorry to hear that Clive :(

"Public Safety" lovely term that.

Same reason they are proposing to ban, sorry we were told they were not going to ban anything, only restrict :rolleyes:, handguns, except for "Olympic" ones as they obviously pose no threat to "public safety"

If we get the "Olympic" shooters to use moderators and they submit a list of pictures of them then the rest of us mere mortals, who it appears are a danger to public safety, would be sorted.

Try Des Crofton if your a member of NARGC. He got something sorted for me recently with my Super ;)

Lads, if I'm not posting for a week or so you'll know I've been banned again for "abusing the Olympic shooters" :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Maybe an obvious point to us, but make sure the super knows that a moderator is not a silencer in the Hollywood sense. Could you quote him the decibels of a moderated rifle and an unmoderated one with a point of comparison for each.

Has he refused you on both the .22lr and the .223??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Isnt it a great paradox in Ireland.It is illegal not to have a silencer on your car,and you can modify the silencer without "good reason" to make it nosier.Yet to make your gun quiter as not to bother people and reduce noise pollution you need very good reason and it is illegal to posses with authorisation.Go Figure.:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Rew wrote: »
    What caliber is your rifle?

Put in 22lr and 223

Jonty wrote: »
    Has he refused you on both the .22lr and the .223??

Just refers to the 22lr.
    sfakiaman wrote: »
    Maybe an obvious point to us, but make sure the super knows that a moderator is not a silencer in the Hollywood sense. Could you quote him the decibels of a moderated rifle and an unmoderated one with a point of comparison for each.

This was the letter I applied with ---- change 223 for 22lr as I put in 2 letters.

Dear Superintendent Xxxxxxxx,
    I am asking for your permission to fit and use a Reflex T8 Moderator/Sound Suppressor to my .223 rifle. The Reflex T8 does not come with any serial number on it. This Reflex T8 Moderator/Sound Suppressor will reduce the noise pollution of the report from the gun but will not completely silence the report.

The reasons for asking you to allow this request are:

1. On the grounds of Health and Safety.
    Having worked in a noisy environment for many years my hearing is now not the best nor what it used to be and I do not want or need it to become any worse.

2. Night shooting of vermin.
    To reduce the noise pollution/report from the gun during the night time hours

3. I have permission to hunt on farms where I shoot vermin.
    With a moderator/sound suppressor fitted to my rifle the report is reduced and as such it will not scare these vermin off after a shot is taken. It should be noted that these vermin are destroying livestock and crops on the farms that I hunt on and as such this T8 Moderator/Sound Suppressor will be used in the effective control of vermin.

Yours truly,

Also refusal was given as "in the interest of Public Safety and the Peace"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

There are only three reasons in the acts for a refusal: insufficient good reason, danger to the public safety or security or peace, or that they are desentitled under the act.

The second one is the hardest to argue against because it's so vague.

You'd imagine that by giving you a license for the .223 a permit for a mod would be a step down in the scale of things.

Regards

Jonty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

sorry to hear that clive ,but as was said at least he giving you the option of a meeting face to face ,so can explain just what it is exactly you want the moderator for .im going to do the same myself tomorrow, as in go in and apply for permission for a mod myself ,not looking good

Well they are at worst gonna be "restricted" :rolleyes: looks more like banned to me :eek:

FCP had this sorted ?

Well they are at worst gonna be "restricted" :rolleyes: looks more like banned to me :eek:

FCP had this sorted ?

its only centrefire mods to be restricted though??

its only centrefire mods to be restricted though??

So are we allowed .22lr mods without an "authorisation" ?

Well then Clive it is clear the guy is interested in the public safety and peace only (nothing wrong with that, it is his job after all)

Therefore you have to show him that moderators ARE in the interest of Public Safety and Peace. (I personally think they should be mandatory)

How to do this? Facts figures, a friendly conversation and perhaps a demonstration.

• Gun shots are loud and can give both animals and people a fright/start. As stated earlier they can be up to 140-150dB which is extremely loud. Louder than a jet engine, rock concert, car horn etc
    • Fitting one greatly reduces the chance of scaring a member of the public, especially at night. Someone living near by, someone walking the roads etc. Rifle reports carry a long way.
    • Livestock/domestic animals get frightened by the noise, even a fair distance away on a still night horses can get spooked and domestic dogs bark and howl after a shot.
    • Fitting a mod instead of wearing hearing protection (passive protection that is) gives greater situational awareness. Put bluntly, you need to hear when hunting for both safety reasons (instructions from shooting partners etc) and for the hunting itself.
    Now I know H&S doesn't fly with this fella Clive, but if the opportunity arose you could point out the information Traumadoc provided in your other thread. Specifically about hearing protection not being very good and often inadequate http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/hsl_pdf/2004/hsl04-01.pdf

You could print that.

Basically you have to sell it to him.

You could offer a demonstration by asking someone you know with a mod to fire a few rounds unmoderated and then moderated. (This implies that he has never heard a moderated rifle before though so be careful he may get offended at the offer, you know how some folk are :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

nope.

No, all mods require an authorisation. Considered to be a 'firearm' in their own right.

This is I think since 1990, but I'm not sure.

Just checked and it was indeed the 1990 act that introduced it. There were two conditions, plublic safety etc. and good reason.

The disentitled one wasn't included, presumably that if you were disentitled to a firearms cert, you'd have no reason for a silencer* :rolleyes:

*they're referred to as silencers in the act.

• Advertisement

Vegeta wrote: »
    You could offer a demonstration by asking someone you know with a mod to fire a few rounds unmoderated and then moderated. (This implies that he has never heard a moderated rifle before though so be careful he may get offended at the offer, you know how some folk are :D)

If you do this, MAKE SURE the person with the mod on the rifle has a permit for it:D

rrpc wrote: »
    No, all mods require an authorisation. Considered to be a 'firearm' in their own right.

This is I think since 1990, but I'm not sure.

up to .22 rimfire its unrestricted, ie up to the superintendent. All centrefire mods are to be restricted, and must be applied for through the Commisioner.

Its not in force yet though. Some of the legal eagles here can point it out better for you Bunny Shooter

If you do this, MAKE SURE the person with the mod on the rifle has a permit for it:D

I should have specifically stated that actually, good catch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

Heads up?

I got a call from my local FO last evening asking if I still wanted my moderator permit. I thought nothing of it until I read this post. I've had a permit for several years no problem, I have good reason for it (shooting rabbits near VERY expensive horses).

The issue of the permit was always way after July 31st and I'm sure I have that permit for this year already, but I wonder if local Supers have a fresh batch of 'guidelines' over the last few days?

Sorry I should have stated that this letter refers to the 22lr, I expect the refusal for the 223 is in the post as well.

I have made an appointment for the 16th to talk with the Super.
    Look I think he's sound out, after all I did get the 223 license. I hope he only needs some assurance that I'm OK.
    And if I'm still refused then I'll only be waking up the neighbourhood after all. ;)

And if I'm still refused then I'll only be waking up the neighbourhood after all. ;)

Then the boys in blue can have you for noise pollution, and if they are really bad, reckless disharge of a firearm.

This is a great country.

(Woohoo, broke 500 posts!!)

Then the boys in blue can have you for noise pollution, and if they are really bad, reckless disharge of a firearm.

This is a great country.[/quote]

And so it is
    I just love it here.

Hey Jonty do you get that extra star for the 500??????
    I'm not far behind you..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

clive ,you should not have mentioned nite shooting its a no no ,i bet if you did not mention it you would have been granted the note ,and its only a note not a licence of any sort .so no one in kilkenny has a mod from this super ,find this out .i was the first one in enniscorthy to get a note from the super for a mod ,i went in and sat down with him for a half hour . the man was totally ignorant of what it was and did .down load peter jacksons spoof sheet on the mod . i was honest with him and told him i had it at home and used in on one of my rifles .

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭medicman

Put in 22lr and 223

Just refers to the 22lr.

This was the letter I applied with ---- change 223 for 22lr as I put in 2 letters.

Dear Superintendent Xxxxxxxx,
    I am asking for your permission to fit and use a Reflex T8 Moderator/Sound Suppressor to my .223 rifle. The Reflex T8 does not come with any serial number on it. This Reflex T8 Moderator/Sound Suppressor will reduce the noise pollution of the report from the gun but will not completely silence the report.

The reasons for asking you to allow this request are:

1. On the grounds of Health and Safety.
    Having worked in a noisy environment for many years my hearing is now not the best nor what it used to be and I do not want or need it to become any worse.

2. Night shooting of vermin.
    To reduce the noise pollution/report from the gun during the night time hours

3. I have permission to hunt on farms where I shoot vermin.
    With a moderator/sound suppressor fitted to my rifle the report is reduced and as such it will not scare these vermin off after a shot is taken. It should be noted that these vermin are destroying livestock and crops on the farms that I hunt on and as such this T8 Moderator/Sound Suppressor will be used in the effective control of vermin.

Yours truly,

oh oh, thats what i put in my application, plus i need my hearing for my job, i hope the supers dont talk much around the country, i'll let you know how my application go's.

medicman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭hazza

Advertisement