Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refused premission for a Moderator today.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

hazza wrote: »

Thanks for that reference hazza I'll print off a copy.
    My main problem is what to say to the Super now that was not included in the letter - to try and convince him to change his mind and permit me the use of the mod?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Another take on this.He is concerned with from what I can see is public saftey and the peace.Ask HIM what exactly are his concerns in relation to this that applies to you personally as the above reasons are very broad and sweeping.So if he can specify what exactly he precives as a danger that you possesing this might cause,you at least have a point that you can work from to discuss and come to some arrangement to deal with the specified problem?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Another take on this.He is concerned with from what I can see is public saftey and the peace.Ask HIM what exactly are his concerns in relation to this that applies to you personally as the above reasons are very broad and sweeping.So if he can specify what exactly he precives as a danger that you possesing this might cause,you at least have a point that you can work from to discuss and come to some arrangement to deal with the specified problem?

Very sensible approach Grizzly. He may of course not want to issue full stop, in which case he may not elaborate.

Cue long silence as Clivej and Super eyeball each other :)

Dont be the first to blink then!:):D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭hazza

clivej wrote: »
    Thanks for that reference hazza I'll print off a copy.
    My main problem is what to say to the Super now that was not included in the letter - to try and convince him to change his mind and permit me the use of the mod?

Good luck with that clivej. I've just recently set the ball rolling in applying for a .22 CZ silhouette (the one with the 16" barrel and screwcut for a mod). I had a previous application in for a .22 air rifle but after 6 weeks of enquiring about its status was told the FO is on holiday (be back next week), oh he's now out on sick leave. And eventually, sorry it's got mislaid/lost. So i have reapplied for the .22 rimfire - had plent cooling off time!!
    I'm expecting same reply about the mod but we'll see.
    PS By the way when I sent in the letter from the dealer I said on it that the mod was incorporated in the application. So just wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭medicman

hi all, just got a call from my garda, he has my mod permit from the super, T8 here i come, hope it works out for those who are still waiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Jaysus Clive, you are not having much luck. First the rifle and now the Mod. Hope all goes well for your meeting, not much I can say except some good advice already given on this thread.

Thanks lads for the postive responce and hints as to what to say.
    I'll get it all together on Monday for the meeting on Tuesday afternoon.

But sure I got the OK and the CZ 223 varmint so the mod will/would be the icing on the cake. But if not then that will also be OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

medicman wrote: »
    hi all, just got a call from my garda, he has my mod permit from the super, T8 here i come, hope it works out for those who are still waiting.

Here's one for ya I've a permit for a mod and it was up for renewal last Sep 17, so I'd applied for the renewal in time and I'm again jumping thru hoops trying to get it, story goes something like reapplied to super, as he was fair enough to give me permit to start with after we had a meeting about having one, but the super's clerk opened my renewal application and sent it back to my local station,( like it says to on the permit), i knew this but wanted to deal with the super as the local gards take for ever to decide who's buying the donuts, so the local gards had it for weeks and then sent it back to the super saying that they cant deal with it, saying "only a super can "so back it went and its Dec now and Super is on hols till 19dec .... still waiting ..and i was told not to use mod till I've the paperwork sorted feel like I'm back at the start.
    Does everyone go thru this every year?

• Advertisement

Got a call Friday re licensing for .22 with mod. Went to the local barracks filled in the form - everything fine there. Then was given an authorisation form for sound "modulator" for the rifle 3 x A4 sheets.
    Questions were a) List reasons for requiring modulator - could only think of these: Shooting near livestock & farm buildings. Prevent alarming other quarry nearby. Didnt mention night shooting or H&S reasons.
    b) Understand/Agree to any conditions that may be attached - none listed on authorisation form, so not sure about this one. But said yes here.
    c) What precautions have you made re public safety - said I had completed hunter competency course (HCAP certified) and was fully insured under CA.
    d) Supporting information - Gun club member 100+ years.
    Member of this assoc. & member of that one.
    Coillte letting blah blah.......

I think thats all 'on mature recollection' that was asked on the form. But it is pretty daunting if you go in cold and havent had a chance to think about the reasons and needs for having a mod.
    So thanks guys for a very informative thread - a lot of what was discussed here was thankfully still fresh in the old noggin when I was filling in that form. Hopefully I can relate a successful outcome at a later date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭meathmannn

In response to the origional thread, it sounds like you got a reasonable Super. Most of them are extreemly busy/pressurised individuals and can be impossible to meet face to face.

Best of luck with the meeting. If you have a genuine need for a mod then I hope everything works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

clivej wrote: »
    Sorry I should have stated that this letter refers to the 22lr, I expect the refusal for the 223 is in the post as well.

I have made an appointment for the 16th to talk with the Super.
    Look I think he's sound out, after all I did get the 223 license. I hope he only needs some assurance that I'm OK.
    And if I'm still refused then I'll only be waking up the neighbourhood after all. ;)

How did you get on clive did the meeting go ahead yesterday ?

Meeting went very well and found Superintendent O'Sullivan to be receptive and very willing to listen and he also put forward some valid points of his concern. I put all my points across to him about how 3 of my 4 shoots have livestock and horses on them and my needs for use of a moderator.
    Anyway the final outcome was that the Super would not commit himself to an answer there and then but will get back to me next week or very soon after Christmas.
    I came away with a positive feeling to our meeting and even if I still get a refusal I sorta don’t mind too much now, if you get what I mean.
    I did drop a hint about going for a bigger caliber for stalking next year, sow the seed so to speak, and he did not dismiss it out of hand, so I’m well pleased with that.
    I’ll get back with news when I get something to report on.

Sounds like you had a good meeting clivej. With any luck you'll get a favourable response and have your mod in the new year.
    Good luck and happy christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Sounds good Clive, just goes to prove that meeting your Super is always a good idea. As you said, you can hear his concerns and he can hear your reasons.

Just makes life easier for everybody.

Good luck.

Good to hear the meeting went well clive, he sounds like a good bloke fair play to the two of ye. Hope it works for you keep us updated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Clive what were his concerns?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Good on you Clive. At least now he has met you and seen you for what you are i.e You're not just another name on a peice of paper.

Sounds like a reasonable chap, we'll await the outcome. Fingers crossed for you.

PS: I would be interested in his concerns also...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

I got my renewal permit today so back to legal owning of a T8.
    But just a point, when i met with my Super he realy taught it was like the movies and that one of his concerns was that people would not know i was nearby shooting my t8 /243, i'd a job convineing him that there was still a fair bang with the mod on the rifle

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

would it be worth while some of the groups with a interest in rifle shooting ,hunting ,ie. the IDS etc. making a small informative dvd on moderators,how they work so on .also some one shooting one on a range .but not dresses like rambo or shooting concrete blocks to bits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Nice one Clive, hope everything works out, just wondering what "Bigger calibre" you were thinking of an would it be another CZ :D, perhaps something like this?
    http://www.czub.cz/index.php?p=32&idp=3&ids=10&idz=184&lang=en

with of course your new T8 on the end of it ;)

Clive what were his concerns?

I think his main concerns were to do it correct/right, and that I "have good reason" for using a mod This is his first office as a Super, newly appointed as a Super. This is the first time anyone has asked for a mod permission through Kilkenny City station.
    Nice one Clive, hope everything works out, just wondering what "Bigger calibre" you were thinking of an would it be another CZ :D, perhaps something like this?
    http://www.czub.cz/index.php?p=32&idp=3&ids=10&idz=184&lang=en
    with of course your new T8 on the end of it ;)

FS your nearly right - short list in 308 is:
    http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=49
    http://www.savagearms.com/12fvss.htm

BUT have to cut my teeth on the 223 first.

Clive are ou sure you are not a rep for cz :D That savage looks sweet doe, by the way how are you getting on with the.223 any red fellas with it yet ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Ah man I know you secertly love wood ! ( sorry , that just seems to sound strange for some reason) :D:D The laminate stock will take a good old pounding in stead of the kevlar, you'd get the 527 and the 550 mixed up!

jwshooter wrote: »
    would it be worth while some of the groups with a interest in rifle shooting ,hunting ,ie. the IDS etc. making a small informative dvd on moderators,how they work so on .also some one shooting one on a range .but not dresses like rambo or shooting concrete blocks to bits

Plenty of them out there on YouTube lads.Very informative,to total nonsense.

Clive are ou sure you are not a rep for cz :D That savage looks sweet doe, by the way how are you getting on with the.223 any red fellas with it yet ??

No foxes yet but only been out twice where they are scarce enough but took a rabbit @120m+ on bi-poles, ah man it's just soooooo much better than the 22lr at that range, point and shoot. I'll get out again over the holidays.
    But I was out again with my good buddy to Kerry where he shot a good Sika, I love the stalking - but not the walking my poor ol feet..
    Ah man I know you secertly love wood ! ( sorry , that just seems to sound strange for some reason) :D:D The laminate stock will take a good old pounding in stead of the kevlar, you'd get the 527 and the 550 mixed up!

I'd be so sad if I damaged the wood.
    I'll have twins then
    Will a 223 round go down a 308 chamber????:eek:

Advertisement