Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roger Waters V David Gilmour

Options
  • 08-12-2008 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭

Any Pink Floyd fan thats worth their salt is aware of the rift of the late seventies/ early eighties that saw the departure of Roger Waters. Despite some civil exchanges and their reunion at Live 8, they still dig at one another.Waters still advertises himself as the "the genius behind Pink Floyd", with Gilmour marketing himself as "the Guitar and voice of Pink Floyd".Which of the 2 do you prefer and why?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Silly argument!

It should be said Roger Waters did not leave Pink Floyd (except in a legal sense), the rest departed one way or another as Waters froze them out.

I have not kept fully abreast of Waters solo stuff apart from Radio KAOS, while Post Rog Floyd was not as good though both Momentary and Division Bell had thier er moments alright.

As for "who is teh winnar" both are talented and have thier own strenghts and weaknesses. Waters is the better writer when he puts his mind to it but is prone to over reaching - Opera! Gilmour may be accused of not being ambitious enough maybe. But at 60 if he wants to chill out he can. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

I dont think its a silly arguement at all.The facts are that due to Rick Wrights lack of songwriting input, Waters didnt see him as warranting the status as band member. Therefore he was frozen out.Gilmour became increasingly aggitated at Waters insistance that Pink Floyd follow his lead and rather than play music that Gilmour felt was below par, the group decide to disband.Rogers was furious when the Gilmour, Wright and Mason reunited and recorded "A Momentary lapse of reason" under the name Pink Floyd. He argued he was PF, they argued he walked away from the band.Waters treatment of Wright was appalling, but its his "history" with Gilmour thats most interesting.Ive never seen Gilmour live but Ive seen Waters twice, the closest I'll ever get to a genuine Pink Floyd show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Any Pink Floyd fan worth their salt prefers Syd Barrett:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

MoominPapa wrote: »
    Any Pink Floyd fan worth their salt prefers Syd Barrett:pac:

In fairness, Pink Floyd with Syd Barrett is a different band to Pink Floyd without Syd Barrett....

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Dan Dare

The Floyd post Barrett are a far greater band, which is not to say that Barrett was not an extraordinary lyricist and songwriter, and that Piper At The Gates of Dawn is not a terrific album.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Chaosangel

horrible thread,there both great musicians,I would consider them an equal part in Floyd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I would've thought Waters and Gilmour patched up their differences at Live 8, and even more so after Rick Wrights recent death. I'm a fan of both, love Gilmours guitar solos, but also a fan of The Final Cut, which was almost like a Waters solo album.

Advertisement