Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you withdraw a pension early?

Options
  • 08-12-2008 12:47pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭

Hi to all.

I left my job a few months ago and was doing ok financially but as its Christmas and things are getting very tight I am finding it difficult to make loan payments and the like.

I recently received the leaving options for my pension from my old work place and was hoping that I could draw down what was in it as this would sort out my money issues until I'm back on my feet in the new year. After a call to the agents for the scheme they informed me I could not take it out in cash. My options are to transfer to another pension scheme with a new employer, transfer to a Personal Retirement Bond, Transfer to a PRSA or deferred pension payable from age 65.

I do not have a head for finance, I suppose if I did I would not be in this predicament but could someone explain to me what the PRB and PRSA options are and if there is anyway I could withdraw the pension (or part of it) in cash. I've had the pension for over 2 years, thats why they say I can't touch it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Nope..

You have to hit 60 before you can cash it in [the actual age depends on plan to plan, so read your documentation].

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

It's not possible to cash it in before you are 60.

Go to the Pensions Board website for an explanation of the investment types you enquired about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 BTI

I was told Could get my pension at fifty ,is this right or is the broker telling porkies.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Nope..

You have to hit 60 before you can cash it in [the actual age depends on plan to plan, so read your documentation].

Early retirement under an occupational scheme is available from age 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

See the date of that post, that info was correct in 2008 :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

See the date of that post, that info was correct in 2008 :)

Early retirement under an occupational scheme has been around a lot longer than that.

F.A. 1972 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Early retirement under an occupational scheme has been around a lot longer than that.

F.A. 1972 I think.

But at the moment we have the 30% avc withdrawal.

McGaggs wrote: »
    But at the moment we have the 30% avc withdrawal.

A completely different matter.

Early retirement can be taken regardless of whether AVC's were made, and regardless of any withdrawls from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

BTI wrote: »
    I was told Could get my pension at fifty ,is this right or is the broker telling porkies.

Depends on your type of pension we would need more details

Advertisement