Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs in City

Options
  • 08-12-2008 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭

Heya Guys,
    Have posted under different threads to find hotels etc re Munster match which Im going to in Jan.
    What pubs would you advise heading to before/after game. Heard maybe the Sin Bin ??

Would it be ok to head into town(getting into places) with Munster jerseys/runners on.

Any help would be great

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Lots of good pubs to choose from.

Dolan's, Clohessy's (Sin Bin is their night club), Myles Breens, Willie Sextons, Currahgower, Souths, Corner Flag, JJ Bowles.....there are many more.

Jersey will not be an issue anywhere. Not certain about runners in a nightclub however.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    Heya Guys,
    Have posted under different threads to find hotels etc re Munster match which Im going to in Jan.
    What pubs would you advise heading to before/after game. Heard maybe the Sin Bin ??

Would it be ok to head into town(getting into places) with Munster jerseys/runners on.

Any help would be great

As already said, Jersey will be fine in most places but I would advise against waering runners as it gives the bouncers an easy excuse not to let you in if they think your borderline too drunk.

Great lads thanks.Will prob were shoes in so.
    Might head to Clohessys Bar before hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

No!No! Shoes and a jersey. Fashion faux pas!!

Don't go drinking in places where they won't let you in because of what you're wearing (within reason). They are usually full of well dressed nackers..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Whats your age group?

Have you thought of a hotel yet? Let me know your budget and I can try and help.

Heya yep booked into Woodfield House for the night of the game.
    Age is 28 and 25.
    Have a few spots picked but more help welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

What game are you going to?

If it's the Leinster game and you're going as a Leinster supporter, go on to Leinsterfans.com and see if they've anything arranged for the night. They brought a few busses down last year and made plenty of noise at the game. Chances are they'll end up in Dolans at the end of the evening, think they did last year anyhow.

I am going to the Ulster game on Jan 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Windmill bar on upper Henry Street is nice if you want a more relaxed atmosphere and a decent pint of the black stuff. Not jam packed like Clohessy's or Flannery's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

you'll be fine in runners in Clohessey's especially on a match night, I've certainly never had any trouble getting in there with runners, although having said that it'd probably best if you can to wear a dark pair.

You wont be going back to the hotel to change anyway. You could get a taxi but why bother with the price. You could walk but knowing men in a drunken state we always tend to jog, dont ask why. :confused: (Dont)

Flannerys on Denmark street which is a very big Rugby pub. Your age group as well. There are a few pubs in this area and two of the biggest nightclubs.

Strike me down for this comment BUT the crowd that go to the Sinbin are the mid 30's and above.

Stick to Angel Lane or Smyths which are conveniently next to my suggestion of Flannerys.

I watch most Munster games there when I cannot get a ticket. Great smoking area with its own window into the bar. You get served quicker, your under a cover, you have widescreen tvs and you can smoke. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Txatxu Urki

The Windmill as suggested above is a good call for a big match. It can be crowded but not jammed and the beer/atmosphere is usually at a good standard.

Thanks again to all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

flannerys on denmark st aint a rugby pub its just a superpub.jerry flannerys on catherine st is the rugby pub

Thats your opinion more so than anything and my opinion is that it is.

Just because its a superpub does not make it outside the remit of a rugby pub. Clohessys is a superpub in fact.

yes clohessys is a superpub but id class it as a rugby pub because peter clohessy and its rugby themed.as is jerry flannerys cause he plays for munster and ireland and has been a shannon pub for years.the new flannerys are trying to be a rugby pub.hey op you should go to the office old school rugby pub

hey berty im not fighting with ya just saying.im not a big rugby girl just know from people i know.flannerys want the rugby crowd as opposed to being a rugby pub that kinda way lol

My silence said a whole lot in those 4 hours that you think Im fighting with you.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

hey berty im not fighting with ya just saying.im not a big rugby girl just know from people i know.flannerys want the rugby crowd as opposed to being a rugby pub that kinda way lol

You are incorrect my friend. The owner of Flannerys (the big one) is an international rugby referee, in fact he was TJ last Friday night for Cardiff v Biarritz. Saw him on Sky Sports, so there is a much bigger connection to rugby than you think. But I do see where you are coming from with bars/restaurants/shops letting on to be connected to the game e.g. the bar in the Quality Hotel in Roxboro called "23-19".

• Advertisement
Advertisement